This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh. Douglass is forgettable, IMO.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I object to the notion of 5 paid visits, yada yada as somehow milking the system in a Clarett-like way, and that visiting Michigan and only Michigan and then committing is more respectable. In truth these are real people with real circumstances and very well in many cases may have parents and mentors pulling them in different directions. I.E...

His mom wants him to go to school out west (hence the potential Oregon visit). His dad loves M. He's only taken one visit. So his problem is this -- if he at least visits Oregon to find oout if he would like it, he's out at M. If he doesn't like Oregon or thinks it's too far away from Massilon (though, much closer to his mom), then he's scrambling to find the next best option for him. That would be Ohio State.

Whether or not this is an accurate description of Conley's decision factors, no doubt there are lots of kids in this position and some similar. Doesn't seem right to assume they are all simply just trying to hoard freebies. Ultimately what Michigan is doing is a hard sell in much the same way a time-share telemarketer might -- it's available now but not for long, so don't think about it too much and don't go checking out all the other options; just say yes!!! That makes life difficult for kids who are genuinely conflicted but very well may want to become one of Coach Hoke's 110 sons.

Additional point -- five weekends of free travel? You'd be an utter idiot not to take advantage. Nobody ever got dumber by going to new places and seeing new things, even in the regimented context of these types of visits. Taking those visits broadens their horizons and can only help make them successful student athletes, as long as they are the kind of kids UM wants. If my kid's in this position, the only thing I'd require of him is that he take all five.
      Last edited by hack; November 1, 2012, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• I agree totally, hack. Well said.

The policy also is particularly harsh on two particular class of verbal commits. First, it is too tough on kids like Conley who were identified early on by UM coaches. I don't blame the kid for locking up a big-time offer when he had had relatively lower level interest. Second, the policy punishes kids like Dawson who go to elite camps during the summer. Dawson made some friends and wanted them to come to UM. They didn't come, but he thinks he may want to play ball with them, so he wants to check it out.

Finally, as to Dawson, I repeat that his Dad was recently killed at his job. Dawson certainly doesn't need idiot fans tweeting crap at him. What he needs is a group of coaches and players who will rally around him, and UM is the only place that can happen in the near term.
        Last edited by Da Geezer; November 1, 2012, 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Finally, as to Dawson, I repeat that his Dad was recently killed at his job. Dawson certainly doesn't need idiot fans tweeting crap at him. What he needs is a group of coaches and players who will rally around him, and UM is the only place that can happen in the near term.

First off, what a shame about the twitter problem. Nothing the program can do about that, but, what a shame. Terrible. What the program can do, however, is maybe think over this policy and come up with some reasonable exceptions, or some middle ground that allows kids who have a genuinely complex decision to make to do so on terms that are a little more comfortable. I would hate for this to happen only after kids like Dawson and Conley end up at Ohio and help beat Michigan.

Comment

• And I don't have a problem with a kid who wants to take five visits. Take the five paid, and as many unofficials as you want.

But, if the kid wants to take five paid visits, and another 30 unpaid visits, then don't make a verbal commitment to Michigan before visit #1.

Don't verbally commit to Michigan, and expect Coach Hoke to set aside a scholarship for you, while you are wined and dined by everyone else in the country.

Take all your visits, paid or otherwise, have fun, enjoy the campuses, get it out of your system, then come and commit to Michigan.

I don't understand why that is a problem.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I think it's a good policy overall, but a case like Conley's makes it tough to adhere to. I also question the parents' roles. In each case it seems there's a least one parent wanting the kid to look around. I'd tell my kid to take his time, but once he makes a committment he has to stick to it.
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                And I don't have a problem with a kid who wants to take five visits. Take the five paid, and as many unofficials as you want.

But, if the kid wants to take five paid visits, and another 30 unpaid visits, then don't make a verbal commitment to Michigan before visit #1.

Don't verbally commit to Michigan, and expect Coach Hoke to set aside a scholarship for you, while you are wined and dined by everyone else in the country.

Take all your visits, paid or otherwise, have fun, enjoy the campuses, get it out of your system, then come and commit to Michigan.

I don't understand why that is a problem.
                Well it certainly suits the needs of the football program. There are two parties to the deal, however, and sometimes the party on the other side has some circumstances which aren't that simple. Conley is very likely an excellent example. And I sure as shit don't want him and Dawson in Columbus and geeked to play Michigan every year for four years.

Comment

• To Hanni:

Re: DeMario Jones.

At least he's not a smurf!!!
                  I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• And I sure as shit don't want him and Dawson in Columbus and geeked to play Michigan every year for four years.
                    Nor do I.

But at the same time, I don't want players holding up a scholarship with Michigan, while they go to places like Columbus, Tuscaloosa or Los Angeles, and give time to those programs to try and change their minds.

If you're committed to Michigan, you're committed to Michigan. If you're not, you're not.

Don't accept the scholarship offer until you have the recruiting game out of your system. If you still like getting calls from Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Lane Kiffin, then don't tell Brady Hoke to set aside a scholarship for you.

Again, I don't see a problem with the two-way commitment.

Comment

• And again, I think this is another very good example of why we need an early signing period in football.

The kids who would take advantage of the early signing period would have their scholarship locked in. They can go about their business, and focus on their final year of high school.

The ones who do not sign in the early period can continue to play the recruiting game at their own risk. That being, that one or more of your suitors may move on, as kids verbally commit, and take the available slots.

Comment

• Again, in some cases, it's good to consider the needs of the kid in addition to the needs of the school. A little flexiblity doesn't necessarily mean you're getting played.

Comment

• I don't think that anyone is disputing Hoke's policy of not keeping a spot open if a kid is taking visits. But if he wants to re-commit to you and you tell him GFY? That could come back to haunt us.

Comment

• Exactly.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I don't understand the needs of the kid thing.

Hoke is offering said athlete a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of free education, room, board and expenses. All he asks, is that once you accept it, that you don't change your mind.

Hoke isn't trying to stop players from taking visits. He simply says get the visiting out of your system before you commit to Michigan. When you've come to a final decision, call me. Then, once you've told me your decision is final, .. don't start taking visits again.

I still have yet to see the unfairness in that, regardless of the player's situation.

Comment

• Hoke is offering said athlete a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of free education, room, board and expenses. All he asks, is that once you accept it, that you don't change your mind.

Again, there's two sides to every story. If you're Johnny Scholarship, you're not sitting there thinking about it that way. You're wondering what the best place is for you personally -- whether you want to be close to your family, whether you should choose based on a possible NFL future, academics, etc. You can't expect them all to be grateful for whatever scraps of benefits they get tossed in exchange for generating millions of dollars in revenue in return. Universities aren't charities and football programs aren't humanitarian efforts.

Comment

Working...
                                X