Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Drayton had left in April then this would be a non-story. Weber learned a lesson all recruits should know -- position coaches (and HCs) move on. Commit to the program and the HC. Lots of kids were sad that Vrabel left. They're probably glad they didn't bail, what with the title and shit.

I wonder what folks will say if Weber ends up the next Ezekiel Elliot? The ol' Ballad of Mikey Weber will be sung by OSU folks.

BTW, what was the name of that WR recruit from Washington that committed to M, got on a plane to fly home and found out by the time he landed his offer had been pulled and M was going with Brother Malzone's homeboy? Heh.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• If Drayton had left in April then this would be a non-story.

Duh. That's far less egregious, assuming the intent to leave wasn't established before NSD. I would definitely hope that Michigan doesn't have guys with one foot out the door recruiting kids on such false premeses, and would be interested to hear if it has in the past.

That recruit was Deontay Burnett. We don't know what really happened and why, or if it's equivalent.
      Last edited by hack; February 6, 2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• So, I guess Drayton should have told Weber that an NFL team contact him and depending on how shit works out he may go to the NFL. And then, IF that NFL team doesn't hire him then what? Drayton flew to Chicago yesterday to interview. I have no idea when it was a "done deal." Typically it's not "done" before the interview.

We have a pretty good idea of what happened with Deontay Burnett. I don't really care one way or the other, but if you want to whistle past the graveyard because you do, then so be it.

In any event, jimmy crack corn and I don't care. It'll be nice to have Weber in Columbus.
        Last edited by iam416; February 6, 2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Decent primer on mgoblog for the 2016 class.

Seems to be an abundance of high quality prospects that we are in on for offense. Defense, not as much, but we may have a shot at the overall #1 guy (defensive tackle), who we could desperately use. DB is a concern. Losing the younger brothers of Hill and Hayes is the type of shit that Harbaugh needs to put a stop to. We need to be one of those programs where if you are in state and Michigan wants you, the out of state programs don't stand a chance.
          Last edited by Hannibal; February 6, 2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• What I heard was that Burnett committed, went home, and said he didn't commit. M said, "Okay, you didn't commit. Hello, Grant Perry." Of course the super-insider from Ohio probably knows the real story. The good thing is, as I have said before and Stan Edwards reiterated this morning, Mike Weber ain't that good.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Interesting lack of Ohio kids in the primer. Donnie Corley is a kid they need to get, IMO.

Austin Mack is a Buckeye, IMO.

I do think OSU will take a 2nd TE and they want Luke Farrell. That may change.

Costello would be huge. Get that elite QB locked up.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                Interesting lack of Ohio kids in the primer.
                Yeah, the state of Michigan is apparently loaded though and we've got a few potential kids to grab out of California.

Biggest hole in the "early interest" list is at DB. We need a full class of those and they need to be really good ones. That describes pretty much every position though. Nowhere that we can afford to strike out except arguably DE, but even there we just have numbers but not quality.

Comment

• It's definitely an abnormally good year for the state of Michigan, but Ohio also has a really strong class! However, there is definitely a "get your house in order" priority with the home state. I expect some really nasty JH-Dantonio battles! And UFM will throw his hat in the ring for Corley. Good times.

Comment

• We're working with a lack of information here. Whatever happened with Burnett and Michigan didn't spill out into a public complaint, unlike with Weber. Weber made it clear he's angry and the next morning there's a 1500-word hagiography in the local paper about the guy he's angry with. Maybe Burnett was equally screwed over and is just quietly going about his business instead of going public with it. Maybe Burnett was disappointed but treated fairly nonetheless.

Either way, under no circumstances should Michigan be treating kids like Weber was treated. We know that much.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      I expect some really nasty JH-Dantonio battles!
                      There had better not be many of them. We need to be the dominant recruiter the way that we were before RichRod showed up. Corley is another example of a guy that Michigan needs to lock down.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; February 6, 2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• like Weber was treated
                        I'm still not sure how Weber was "treated." Again, does Drayton say he's looking at NFL jobs? What if he doesn't get the job.

Weber's reaction was one of disappointment, no doubt, that his RB coach left. Warren Ball also reacted similarly. I doubt Warren Ball wants to leave the program.

Finally, if the words of Weber are dispositive, well then you have to believe Harbaugh lied to him about 1 RB. I mean, that's what he's said.

My guess is you believe the anguish of Weber as it suits you. Not really a guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                          Well this is both interesting and a reminder of how much dysfunction there's been -- Bacon has a book out this fall called Endzone: The Rise and Fall of Michigan Football.

Endzone: The Rise and Fall of Michigan Football: John U. Bacon: 9781250078971: Amazon.com: Books
                          I hope that it's a really scathing account that calls out every stooge responsible for the current state of Michigan football. Carr, Martin, Brandon, Hoke, RichRod. Everyone.

Comment

• There had better not be many of them. We need to be the dominant recruiter the way that we were before RichRod showed up.
                            Like it or not, Dantonio and Sparty aren't going anywhere. You and I certainly remember the true "little brother" days, but those haven't been around for ages. Sparty is a legit program and it's going to have plenty of pull with kids in the state. IMO, this is the single biggest blind spot for M fans.

Comment

• Hoke was able to restore in-state recruiting dominance at least for that first year. On the field it might not happen again for a long time but it's not hard to envision a great recruiter getting six out of the top 8 guys every year. My demands are high but they aren't unreasonable.

Comment

• Even when Sparty was a middling program they got their share of top recruits in the state. That won't change and will probably be even more difficult. Michigan always made up for it by getting studs from Texas, Cali or anywhere else nationally. That shouldn't and won't change.

Comment

Working...
                                X