Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marrow is a gray area coach.. perfect for Kentucky.
    Yes, he is.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I'm highly dubious that Hoke and his staff approached "gray areas" any differently than UFM does or JH will. This canard about Hoke and M being "above the fray" is laughable.

Hoke recruited gads of really good players to AA. JH will do the same.

And at the end of the day, "technical" violations...say contacting a recruit before you're officially hired or say "hi" don't amount to anything. Kids go to play for coaches and staffs they feel comfortable with and/or that give them the best opportunity to get to the NFL and/or give them the best opportunity to win. No stray twitter or other nonsense will change that equation.

Comment

• Well there's compliance issues and then there's paying for players and other illegal benefits. Not all violations are equal, obviously. IMO the biggest difference is what happens once they arrive on campus. OSU is a gong show in comparison, and the shameful Gibbons episode is only a very small narrowing of that gap. The stuff that came out after tattoogate about Michigan's compliance department -- following up with mechanics to make sure they bill players for work done on cars, and inspecting invoices to make sure they weren't undercharged, etc. -- that's where you see it, and that's the sort of thing Michigan fans should be proud of and are. That's the core of it. Don't pay for the players to come and make sure they behave properly, in every possible way, while they're on scholarship.

Comment

• It's almost like you think if you repeat it enough the "facts" will appear out of thin air. Actually, strike the "almost."

Anyway, the discussion was on gray areas. Obviously. The discussion was not about overtly paying recruits to visit and/or attend your university. Apparently, UFM and Ohio State do that, at least in the minds of the bitchified.

Comment

• The Gibbons episode wasn't even an episode. A guy was accused of rape but no charges were pressed. The real episode was the stupid PR when he got kicked out of school.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Anyway, the discussion was on gray areas. Obviously. The discussion was not about overtly paying recruits to visit and/or attend your university. Apparently, UFM and Ohio State do that, at least in the minds of the bitchified.
              You said ``This canard about Hoke and M being "above the fray" is laughable'', so I explained how you are wrong about that. As for the gray areas, we agree.

Comment

• Is that what you did? LMAO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  The Gibbons episode wasn't even an episode. A guy was accused of rape but no charges were pressed. The real episode was the stupid PR when he got kicked out of school.
                  I forget the details of why exactly Gibbons had to sit out a game three years later, but clearly it was due to more than just the bad PR. There's no way to interpret that positively for anyone involved on Michigan's end. If it happened precisely that way in Columbus I'm sure talent could find a way, though. Morals, honor and codes of conduct vary from place to place.

Comment

• I have a lot of issues with Gibbons, namely I am gravely concerned that Universities are imposing "criminal-esque" penalties on students based on significantly lowered evidentiary thresholds.

The only facts I know about the Gibbons case is that their wasn't even any indictment and he was expelled. That troubles me, and I hope the DoE at some point sets forth a coherent, appropriate set of guidelines for Universities dealing with these issues that protect both the alleged victim and the accused.

But this is hardly recruiting-related. JH will get everyone he offers.

Comment

• talent ........ Spot on re implications of the Gibbons incident.

With regard to gray areas in recruiting, good coaching staffs along with the usually separate compliance staff that does not answer to the HC know how to expand or contract them when the administrators stay the F out of the way. My view is that at M, compared to OSU, for example have too many outsiders (of the FB program) with other agendas inappropriately involved.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Damien Harris will announce on Friday...for neither OSU nor M, so meh...whatever. I still think it's going to be UK. Definitely the lesser of two evils and hard to fault a kid for staying home.

Comment

• Henson: Singletary unlikely to return. Doesn't evaluate film well.

I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• A lot of smoke on Harris to Bama. As it turns out, there might have been nothing M could have done to stop that. Setting aside snark, The Nick has apparently sold him on the depth chart which, I'm told, is problematic for any RB recruit to M.

Comment

• How could anyone be scared off by DeVeon Smith or Derrick Green? If I were a coach I would just show a recruit film of those two guys sucking.

Comment

• Amen. Green has no vision or balance. Smith has no vision and is slow. Johnson has had two ACL tears. Isaac is the only unknown.
                                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Working...
                                X