Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same here. I've read that he's going to primarily be on defense, but we may see him in some punt/kickoff return situations or maybe as a "5" receiver in some special formations. If nothing else, it gives opposing DC's something else to think about.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• He's got Woodson aspirations. Maybe he'll ask to play a little O here and there?

Comment

• Believe he said he'll get an opportunity to play some offense in an interview.

Comment

• Malik McDowell and De'Shawn Hand suddenly become the most exciting recruitment's the rest the way. Needs left:

*RB
          *3rd WR
          *3rd OL
          *2 DL
          *1-2 LB
          *1-2 DB's

10 on board, 8-9 needs...

Comment

• WM. it seems like Hand and McDowell are the only legit shots left of the elite players on the board (I guess depending on if you think westphal is elite). Am I missing anyone?
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Those are the two 'elite' that have shown mutual interest, few more might pop up later and show more interest... Some elite guys recruitment's don't quite start till their official visits and won't announce close to signing day...

I was worried about this class being a top 10 class given the lack of talent in the Midwest, Ohio has locked up most of Ohio and stole one from Michigan (Webb)... M needed to recruit all over for this talent; Virginia, Jersey, Illinois, Florida, Utah... Given the circumstances, it'll be a very impressive class.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                WM. it seems like Hand and McDowell are the only legit shots left of the elite players on the board (I guess depending on if you think westphal is elite). Am I missing anyone?
                Well if Westhpal is "elite" then include Adoree Jackson, Artavis Scott and Jamarco Jones...at least.

Comment

• I excluded them on the "legit shots" element

Comment

• Looks like we picked a good year to have a small class. And maybe it won't be full.

What about a punter?

Comment

• M had a preferred walk-on (Kenneth Allen) they're going to give a scholarship too after this season, when Hagerup graduates. He's reportedly a better punter than kicker.

Comment

• M might land another 'elite' top 50-75 talent or two that's not on my recruiting board yet. Guys like Adoree Jackson, Juju Smith are just off the recruiting board that will be guys who are likely to make it to Ann Arbor for official visits come Fall...

Jamarco Jones OL sounds like a Buckeye but M is going to have a chance to impress him. Decision set for end of June and will take a visit to each of his top 4 (Ohio, Sparty, Chickens & M) before announcing. M might be 4th right now...

On the recruiting board:

Artavis Scott WR is a playmaker I really like, I've said before he'd be a 5-star if he were 2-3 inches taller. I think M is likely to end up a bridesmaid here (to Florida) but M will get its shot as he wants to make a visit this summer...

Montae Nicholson is just below my definition of 'elite' (top 75) but the type of true safety M is looking for. Buckeyes seem to feel he's theirs to lose, he's more of a top 150 overall talent...

Nyles Morgan LB is close to making it back to M's board, he's got a great offer list but is more in the 75-100 range of overall talent. Again, another kid I expect to come up a bridesmaid but M is making up ground and getting back into his top group...

Like I said above, I expect a couple more 'elite' names to show significant interest come this fall, where M is likely to come up short but M will get a chance if they take an official and fall in love with AA and/or Hoke and the staff.

Comment

• I don't think OSU is pushing for Nicholson. FWIW.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Talent, in your honest opinion, do you seriously think OSU will have a better defense than UM in say 3 years? I don't see it.

Comment

• You didn't ask me, but given the recruiting thus far, there is no reason OSU's defense won't be more talented. As great as Hoke has done recruiting, OSU's classes have been more talented, at least as measured by the recruiting sites...

Comment

• Chuck:

IMO, Ohio State will have as much talent as anyone, both sides of the ball, with the possible exception of Alabama.

That said, 3 years out is pretty tough to project. It's hard to say who in the 2012 class will be on that team (e.g., Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington will likely be gone by then, but Tommy Schutt may be in his 2nd or 3rd year as a starter).

In last year's class, ranked #1 by Scout and #2 by most others, they landed 4 elite defensive recruits: Vonn Bell, Eli Apple, Joey Bosa and Mike Mitchell. Apple is going to be a superstar, though he was rated behind Burrows by some sites. Speaking of Burrows, he was a top 50 players, and Trey Johnson was right around top 50, and I didn't include them.

For this year's class, they're addressing numbers issues at LB in a big way and will likely finish stronger than they started. They've also continued with elite DB recruiting in getting Webb. Marshon Lattimore is a lock, and he wants to play defense. Another elite talent.

There isn't an inkling of concern about defensive recruiting. The concern, as of the moment, is bringing in OL. This year OL and LB are the two huge focus areas. LB is nearing completion with two potential adds (Winovich, maybe, and McMillan). OL is still developing with a good start -- two borderline 4* kids (nothing spectacular) -- and has a chance to get considerably better with Jones and, perhaps even more importantly, a JC stud -- Mavesty -- who can provide much-needed immediate depth/starter. The other outstanding issue is QB. They'll take one. I think, sooner rather than later, Kyle Allen or Brandon Harris will commit and they can stop chasing Watson. Fingers crossed.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X