Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For there to be an 'early' signing period, you have to have to allow coaches more chances to get the kids on campus and coaches more opportunities to visit the kid in-home; e.g. like basketball allow kids OV after Jan 1st of their junior year...

There are quite a few rules and regulations that would need to be overhauled just to implement an early signing period much like they did in college basketball...

-

Hoke had to play catch-up on Winovich and I think they at least caught up, but that's before Winovich takes visits to Pitt & Ohio.

re: Watson - I think M can find a similar type talent in December or January if they really felt they need one. M doesn't have a huge need for LB'ers so they can and should be quite picky.

Comment

• I think OSU is still the team to beat for Winovich.

I think UFM goes all out to land any recruit he really wants. It's not about beating Hoke; it's about getting the right kids for your program. He would gladly lose Winovich and any other OSU/M battle to land DeShaun Watson.

And last year, off the top of my head, the best players OSU recruited weren't really OSU/M battles. The lost some and won some. The OSU/M battles they lost involved some very solid players (Gedeon, e.g., I liken to Winovich in terms of talent) with the possibility of Thomas, who, IMO, is pushing the elite category.

Part of that is a kudos to M. They really did a nice job with players in the midwest locking them up early. Part of it is the geography -- UFM really pushed areas outside of Hoke's wheelhouse.

WM, probably has a better recollection that I on this, but I recall losing Gedeon, Smith and Thomas (though, he was lost well before UFM) from Ohio and LTT outside of Ohio in actual "battles". Not sure who OSU beat M on -- e.g., I'm sure M offered Jalin Marshall, but they had no chance, so I wouldn't count that.
      Last edited by iam416; May 15, 2013, 07:26 AM.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• You guys have Hubbard, Berger and you told us you have Booker in the bag, you guys need 4 LB'ers in this class?

If M loses out on Winovich, I'm guessing they'll add some new targets to the recruiting board.
        Last edited by WM Wolverine; May 15, 2013, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Booker, I think, they see moving to DL as a WDE. Notre Dame is making a little noise with him, but the insiders still think it's a matter of when.

Hubbard, I don't know where they project him. He may be a "star" or LB. I don't know.

They're not done at LB after Winovich, if he signs. They're still in really good shape with Raekwon McMillian.

Clifton Garrett, sadly, has gone the way of Treadwell.

Anyway, I'm going to refrain from any more early season predictions on who is in the class. I *think* they want at least two more LBs.

Comment

• I really think Winovich is blue.
            A) recently all of the Michigan recruiting gurus have been talking him up and insinuating his decision is close
            B) on the day of his visit, tomVH asked his twitter followers who would be the next commit. Ferns, who was in AA golfing with Winovich, said he knew but couldn't say.

But these are 17 year olds so who knows.
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• SLF Talent just said that there are no M/OSU battles save for Winovich so obviously you are wrong

Comment

• It's always interesting what M fans will say I said. Personally, I mostly use quotes when saying what M fans said.

Ferns is the reason M fans thought they had Berger, or thought it was close. It wasn't.

Comment

• Never was very optimistic about Berger, thought at one point I called it a coin flip after he said he loved his M visit but then he started to make a lot of trips to Columbus.

Comment

• Berger wasn't a lock, but he ultimately he just liked the OSU staff better.

It was quite a battle for the 6-foot-2, 215 pound linebacker’s services between Ohio State and the Wolverines, but ultimately it was his comfort with a coach that really tipped the scales for the Buckeyes.

“I really think my relationship with Luke Fickell was the single most deciding factor,” Berger explained. “He’s great with my family and me and is a tremendous coach. He’s coached great players and I want to be the next one.”
                    It's always interesting to find out who on a staff the recruit really connects with. And that's the key, at least in sorting out big boy programs -- relationships.

Winovich grew up "dreaming of playing for OSU", but I guarantee he'll commit to the school where he feels most comfortable.

Comment

• In that regard, WM, aside from Mattison, who on the M staff are the best recruiters, or at least perceived as the best recruiters?

For Ohio State, it's Vrabel, Fickell and probably Herman. Warriner, who is a fantastic position coach, is probably average. Coombs, who is the DBs, is really intense and, from what I understand, recruits either really like him or not so much, which probably makes him average, too. Though, OSU has landed some really good DBs.

Anyway, strengths of the M staff? Any weak areas?

Comment

• An Envelope full of Benjamins doesn't hurt either.
                        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I hear a lot about Jeff Hecklinski and Hoke himself when it comes to recruiting.

Comment

• What position group does Hecklinski coach?

Comment

• Funk must be pretty good.
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Mattison, Hoke, Hecklinksi are the top recruiters... They expect Manning to be a very good recruiter, M just lost a very good one in Montgomery...

Fred Jackson usually lands 2-3 recruits each class (but he recruits the Detroit area) and recruits speak highly of Mallory. Funk is a really good OL coach but recruits only really bring up his name after they're committed... Rarely hear Smith's or Ferringo's names brought up by recruits.

Comment

Working...
                                X