Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Especially a top RB. We really need that marquee RB to make the new offense go.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• This imo is one of the reasons you don't turn away players like Levenberry, Pocic, etc.

Comment

• Well, on the other hand, that sends a message to the recruits: ``We know some of you guys are not going to make it to Ann Arbor in '13, so we're covering our bases.'' Turning away a potential 5* like Levenberry may hurt at the time but doing that combined with being willing to let guys like Dawson go is consistent with the message that Hoke wants to drive home, be it at press conferences or during in-home visits, etc. People of all stripes like it better when you tell them you believe in them and aren't bothering with a contingency plan in case they flake out. Hoke is walking his talk and presumably believes it will benefit him over time. Plus, it's nice to have a slot or two open late for those later-in-the-class types -- sleepers, 5*s who end up changing their minds, etc. Will this approach be better than the ``you're just a cog in the wheel so don't fuck it up else we'll put someone else in your slot'' method? We'll see. Certainly Hoke's approach is appropriate for a team that wants to play it clean but still contend.

Comment

• I don't remember Michigan turning away Levenberry, I thought he picked FSU over Michigan?

Comment

• Yes
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yes and no. Levenberry later had second thoughts about FSU. Levenberry contacted Hoke and was told there wasn't a spot.

Comment

• I see nothing wrong with contacting Levenberry or Pocic. Did you notice how young the LSU offensive line was when they pushed SC around. Pocic will have to work for playing time.

It has been evident that Dawson made friends with some players he wanted as teammates during his camp tour this summer. He was one guy who went to the best camps and took on all comers. He was actually a good recruiter for UM! I just don't like Hoke's rule, because it does not leave room for a kid like Dawson to take his trips and then decide on Michigan. After the tragedy with his father, I wish the kid all the best.

Comment

• Hoke has no problem with a kid taking visits. He just doesn't want a verbal commitment to Michigan, and THEN see that kid start taking visits. A commitment is a commitment, and in Hoke's mind, its a two way street. You commit to us, and we commit to you by taking that scholly off the table. Its not being offered to anyone else.

I think its a fair policy.

If a recruit wants to take visits, then take visits. But, don't consider yourself "committed" when you're looking elsewhere.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It seems like this process is a bit harsher than how it is described on the surface. The two times this has happened, the breaks have been clean and immediate.

Comment

• I don't see a good reason for Hoke to change his policy unless this becomes a major problem. So far Brown last year and Dawson this year ... if we have several more than a re-evaluation is reasonable. Hoke's policy is probably why Treadwell and Green did not commit ... these kids want to go on a few trips.

Comment

• I think it's a mistake IF mich pulls the offer. I don't know if that's the case though. I think it's only wise to no longer consider a player committed.
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan have all lost 4* recruits in the last couple of days. Maybe has something to do with no Big Ten team in the BCS Top 25.
                          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                            Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan have all lost 4* recruits in the last couple of days. Maybe has something to do with no Big Ten team in the BCS Top 25.
                            Surprisngly they are headed to Indiana. Well 2 of them are.
                            The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Must have been impressed with their game versus osu.
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• When Michael Ferns was racing toward the end zone, the Clairsville (Ohio) St. Clairsville High star had nothing in front of him but green grass and glory. He was seemingly seconds away from scoring his 12th touchdown of the season and wrapping up a victory for St. Clairsville against area rival Richmond (Ohio) Edison High.

St. Clairsville players Logan Thompson and Michael Ferns embrace following Thompson's emotional touchdown — USA …

Then, just feet short of the goal line, Ferns slowed and walked out of bounds at the 1-yard line. Everyone in the stadium was stunned, except for Ferns' teammates, who instantly knew what he was doing: He was setting up a teammate to score a fitting touchdown in memory of his late father, who had died just two days earlier from a catastrophic stroke.

The player in question was Logan Thompson, a devoted freshman varsity football player who had never registered a single carry before in his career. Still reeling from his father's death, Thompson suited up for St. Clairsville nonetheless, providing security for the team's upperclassmen. During the team's victory against Edison, St. Clairsville coach Brett McLean had secretly encouraged his skill players to pull up short of the end zone if given the chance, setting the stage for Thompson to have a memorable first carry right into the end zone.

Still, the plan was almost sabotaged by the referees, who were completely stunned by the fact that Ferns hadn't actually scored. As reported by USA Today, two referees actually signaled that Ferns had scored a touchdown before one of his teammates came rushing in to argue that his team had not actually scored, a surreal twist on the usual officiating protestations put forth by high school players and coaches.

St. Clairsville star Michael Fern, who set up a touching touchdown tribute for a teammate — Rivals.com

Eventually, McLean's plan worked to perfection when Ferns found himself on a breakaway, then switched rolls to move from running back to bruising fullback for Thompson's cameo, helping clear a massive hole in the Edison line through which Thomson rolled into the end zone.

While Ferns is a highly regarded Michigan recruit, Thompson was the star of his team's victory, thanks to a touchdown that clearly meant even more to the freshman than his teammates hoped it might.

"Looking straight up into the sky after scoring my first varsity touchdown…i know the old man was watching! love and miss you so much daddy," Thompson tweeted after the victory.

Added McLean: "[Thompson's touchdown run] was something that touched the whole team. Logan was going through so much and for a few minutes we helped him get his mind off of things. It honored his dad. It was just an awesome moment."
                                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X