No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep. Mr. & Mrs. Wiz are doing their best to add females to the Nebraska population ...

That Wiz is a rascal, he is ....
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
      Nebraska has women?
      Yep. I didn't realize it until I saw Penny on The Big Bang Theory.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Perhaps no Big Ten official had more reason to be miffed about the Big Ten’s initial divisional alignment than Wisconsin Athletics Director Barry Alvarez.

Wisconsin was placed opposite from Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska when the Big Ten split into two divisions for the 2011 football season. Wisconsin was scheduled as a permanent cross-divisional rival with Minnesota, but is slated to play both historical rival Iowa and burgeoning rival Nebraska just six times over a 10-year period. Wisconsin’s closest divisional opponent currently is Illinois, and while they share a border, neither side sizzles for their annual match-up.

Alvarez, a Hall of Fame football coach and former Iowa assistant under Hayden Fry, has never shied from sharing his opinion about the league’s divisional structure. With the league adding Maryland (definitely) and Rutgers (probably) in 2014 and a new round of divisional realignment on its way, Alvarez staked his position in a letter to Wisconsin fans in the Jan. 31, 2013 edition of “Varsity,” a Badger publication. Alvarez wrote that he wants Wisconsin to play against Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska every year.

“We have our own concerns at Wisconsin,” Alvarez wrote. “First of all, you want to preserve your natural rivalries. You want to maintain playing those rivals while striving for competitive balance within the division.

“I thought the Big Ten did a very good job in researching everything from the time that Penn State joined the league. It clearly showed that there were teams that separated themselves from other.

“But I want to play Iowa every year. I didn’t like not playing Iowa the last two years. I know our fans didn’t like it either. I want to continue to play Minnesota every year.

“I also want to play Nebraska every year. That has turned into a natural rivalry for us. Those games are important to our fans because they can travel to them.”

Alvarez told me multiple times before and after the 2010 Legends/Leaders unveiling that he wanted to play Minnesota and Iowa every year. Wisconsin-Minnesota is the most-played Division I rivalry, dating to 1890. Iowa and Wisconsin played every year from 1937 through 1992 then rotated off one another’s schedules in 1993-1994 when Penn State joined the league.

After that two-year break, Alvarez, who coached Wisconsin at the time, successfully lobbied for each school to declare and played two permanent rivals every season. Iowa and Wisconsin played 72 times in a 74-year period through the 2010 season. When the league added Nebraska for the 2011 season, officials mandated that competitive balance would be the first tenet in realignment. At the time the numbers dictated that Iowa and Wisconsin should separate into opposite divisions. Alvarez vigorously pleaded to maintain the rivalry but to no avail.

Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta also fought for preserving the rivalry. Barta told The Gazette two weeks ago that geography is likely to shape this round of realignment.

“The last go around we all had a chance to identify who we would want as our natural rivals,” he said. “If you just make a circle outside the state of Iowa, it’s Minnesota, it’s Wisconsin, it’s Illinois, it’s Northwestern and it’s Nebraska now. Those make great sense as a starter. What you have to try to figure out — I’m not saying that anybody else hasn’t looked at it — but those are natural. If you go to the Eastern side, there’s some natural schools. You just have to figure out how to split it after that.”

Iowa and Wisconsin rotated off one another’s schedules in 2011 and 2012. They are scheduled to play as non-divisional foes on Nov. 2 at Kinnick Stadium. The series rivalry stands at 42-42-2.
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Athlon on Big Ten 2013...

Ohio State is a cut above

This isn’t some newsflash or top secret recruiting bulletin, but the numbers are clear. Ohio State has the best roster in the Big Ten and is five losses better than any other team in the league. The OSU football budget is significantly larger than any other program in the Big Ten, they reinvest in football more than any other school and it shows on the field with at least a share of seven Big Ten championships since 2002. If the unblemished 12-0 mark of 2012 counts, Ohio State has four outright Big Ten titles since 2006. With Urban Meyer instantly returning the Bucknuts to prominence both on the field and on the recruiting trail, fans better get used to hearing Hang On Sloopy.

Big Ten-Year War on the horizon

Ohio State's exploits are well-documented but Michigan is no slouch either. Despite three poor seasons (2008-10), the Maize and Blue still recruited at a near top-ten level nationally and is clearly the second-most talented team in the league. With Brady Hoke at the helm, however, the team has had success on the field as well. Michigan is tied with Nebraska and Penn State for the best conference record in the Big Ten (12-4) over the last two seasons. With OSU coming off of sanctions and the Wolverines returning to national relevance, the second coming of the 10-Year War is upon the Big Ten. And fans in every other city in the league should be concerned.

The curious case of Bo Pelini

If Bo Pelini had left Lincoln for the Tennessee job, let’s just say, would Big Red Nation have been devastated? Pelini has recruited well with the No. 3-rated roster in the Big Ten, the No. 21st-rated roster in the nation and a top 25 average ranking (24.0). He also has led his team to 29 conference wins in his five-year tenure at Nebraska, including three championship game appearances and four division titles. He’s also lost four games in each of the last five seasons. Pelini’s antagonistic demeanor and boiling temper likely give him a short leash with some, but his win-loss record matches his recruiting and the Cornhuskers are competing for league championships nearly every year.

Bill O’Brien was smart to stay

If Coach O’Brien wants to win the Lombardi Trophy, he will have to go to the NFL to do it. If winning the Crystal Ball is what he wants, then Penn State is the place to do it. Not only is he coaching and recruiting extremely well in the face of the worst NCAA scandal in history, but the Penn State brand has tons of upside. Joe Paterno recruited the 4th-best roster in the Big Ten and just the 30th-best roster over the last five seasons. However, the Nittany Lions have the No. 2 Big Ten record (29-11) over that span and is No. 3 overall at 48-20. Coach BoB will have to face tough sanctions including a bowl ban the next three seasons, but if he sticks it out, Penn State could easily be the next national super power. Something Jim Delany is likely rooting for as well.

Northwestern can’t overpay Pat Fitzgerald

According to the recruiting rankings, Northwestern has the least talented roster in the Big Ten and is better than only Syracuse, SMU, Washington State, UConn and Temple among BCS conference teams. Yet, the Wildcats are 40-25 over that span and are sixth in the conference with 21 Big Ten wins. Coach Fitz also has led his alma mater to five straight bowl games at a school with 11 total bowl appearances in program history, not to mention its first postseason win since 1949. All while doing it with the worst roster in the league.

Who gets the credit in Madison?

Many thought Bret Bielema’s move to Fayetteville, Ark., was curious but one look at the recruiting rankings might shed some light on the situation. Wisconsin is a unique job with elite fan support and a powerful athletic department. However, it also is nestled in a terrible recruiting territory and rarely can win battles with the big boys of the Big Ten much less the SEC. This team owns the ninth-most talented roster in the league and the 55th-rated roster in the nation — well behind teams like Minnesota, Kansas, Illinois, Colorado or Boston College. Yet, the Badgers have been to three straight Rose Bowls and are competing for Big Ten titles nearly every season. So why did Bielema leave? Did he feel like he topped out? Or that the Big Red has reached its peak as a program? Does it even matter who coaches as long as Barry Alvarez is still in the building? Many believe Gary Andersen was a great hire, but make no mistake, Wisconsin will always have to overachieve to find success on the field.

Midwestern volatility

In terms of recruiting, it appears that the true pecking order (after Ohio State and Michigan) is more volatile in the Big Ten than any other league. Minnesota has had a class rank of 17th nationally and then 72nd a few years later. Penn State posted the No. 12-rated class in 2010 and then the 51st-rated group two years later. Illinois went from 23rd nationally in 2008 to 70th in 2010. Michigan State was ranked 47th in 2008 and then 17th in 2009. Balance and parity is a good thing for the league as a whole as it indicates potential across the board, but it can’t be good for the individual coach’s indigestion.

Big Ten's National Team Recruiting Rankings Breakdown:

School Avg Nat'l Rank "BCS" Rank 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Record (Conf.)

1. Ohio State 9.4 8th 4th 3rd 25th 11th 4th 51-13 (32-8)
          2. Michigan 13.2 11th 10th 8th 20th 21st 7th 34-29 (18-22)
          3. Nebraska 24.0 21st 30th 28th 22nd 15th 25th 48-20 (29-11)
          4. Penn State 33.0 30th 43rd 24th 12th 35th 51st 46-18 (29-11)
          5. Michigan State 33.2 32nd 47th 17th 30th 31st 41st 44-22 (27-13)
          6. Iowa 46.2 42nd 53rd 63rd 42nd 30th 43rd 39-25 (21-19)
          7. Minnesota 46.2 43rd 17th 39th 51st 52nd 72nd 25-38 (12-28)
          8. Illinois 46.8 45th 23rd 35th 70th 42nd 64th 24-38 (11-29)
          9. Wisconsin 53.4 55th 41st 43rd 87th 40th 56th 47-20 (25-15)
          10. Purdue 63.4 62nd 63rd 74th 54th 93rd 33rd 26-36 (15-25)
          11. Indiana 70.8 69th 78th 59th 92nd 59th 66th 17-43 (5-35)
          12. Northwestern 71.0 70th 73rd 58th 77th 87th 60th 40-25 (21-19)

Comment

• Urban Meyer makes $4.3 million annually as Ohio State's football coach, and nobody should complain too loudly considering the inherent pressure of filling 102,000-seat Ohio Stadium.

The pressure mounts: Tickets to Ohio State's home football games for most seats will go from $70 to $79 this coming fall. The price will go up for as many as two premium games a season to $110 to $175 per game, according to this Associated Press story.

"We haven't raised tickets prices the last three years," Buckeyes athletic director Gene Smith said. "Looking ahead into our financial plan, we knew at some point we would have to do this."

They did it because Ohio State features 36 varsity sports.

They did it because the athletic department continues to upgrade facilities.

Let's say Meyer's team hits the skids and falls to 5-7. You think that big stadium would continue to sell out? Imagine the far-reaching financial implications if there were thousands of empty seats. Imagine the trickle-down. That's why I never bat an eye when a head football coach at a high-profile BCS school gets a pay raise.

Nebraska's ticket prices for football look pretty tame compared to Ohio State's plan.

NU public season ticket holders will pay $56 per game for eight home games in 2013 ($448 total) and UNL faculty and staff will be charged $53 per game ($424 total). Nebraska students will pay $184 ($23 per game) in 2013.

Single-game tickets prices for 2013 will be $60 each for non-conference contests against Wyoming, Southern Miss and South Dakota State. The non-conference match-up with UCLA and Big Ten home contests against Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan State and Iowa will all be priced at $75 each.

Comment

• The author of that article did a half assed job... Need to also compare donations..

But still, OSU is raising prices.

Comment

• IIRC, when I went to my very first Michigan game back in 1970?, I walked up to the ticket booth, and bought them (2) for $9.00 each. And, I thought that was expensive.

I saw them play Texas A&M, in a windy, rainy, cold day. Michigan won, but man, I froze my patootie off ... My girlfriend was mad at me for weeks ... for making her sit thru that.

I think the crowd was announced at about 75K, but I doubt that 30K were there.

Comment

• Pat FitzgeraldRich Barnes/US PresswireNorthwestern's Pat Fitzgerald isn't yet sold on the NCAA's new recruiting proposals.
                  On Monday, after league coaches and athletic directors met at conference headquarters in Park Ridge, Ill., the Big Ten issued a statement asking for a timeout on those NCAA proposals. The league says the new rules -- which would allow coaches to contact recruits via text message and social media as much as their hearts desire and let schools inundate prospects with an unchecked flood of mailings -- at least need more time to be studied before they go into effect this summer.

“I’m not necessarily so sure it’s the very specifics, as most of it is we’d like to have an opportunity to have dialogue to discuss the impact and have sufficient time and be able to look at the consequences," Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald told ESPN.com.

The NCAA wants to simplify its unwieldy rule book and get out of the business of trying to enforce things like how many recruiting calls a coach makes, which is pretty much impossible to monitor. The idea is to de-regulate the minor things and focus on the serious offenses, which is an understandable goal even if the NCAA can't really be trusted to dole out justice on even the most blatant cheaters.

But every change has consequences, and there are some major unintended problems that could result from these new proposed rules. Coaches will have to spend far more time making sure they're sending as many tweets and Facebook posts to prospects as their rival recruiters. Recruiting budgets will soar into the stratosphere. And has anyone actually asked high school kids if they want their phones jammed by dozens of text messages from courting coaches or have their mailmen drop off 10 pounds of recruiting brochures every business day? (At least they won't have to worry about Saturdays anymore, unless schools use UPS or FedEx).

The Big Ten will predictably get roasted for raising these objections. Critics will say the league is once again coming across as stodgy and conservative, and that it's another sign that the conference doesn't have the stomach to wade through the dirty waters of recruiting like the SEC. Get with the times, they'll say, or get left (farther) behind.

But note that the Big Ten hasn't asked for the repeal of these rules, but merely for the NCAA to table the measures until more thought can be put into them. What's wrong with that? Or better put, what's the rush to implement these rules, especially when, as Fitzgerald noted, a working group of coaches could work closely with the NCAA to fully review them?

We'll see if the Big Ten's request has any impact. But the only way to stop this train is by getting other leagues to help stop it in its tracks.

Comment

• If the B1G self-imposes restrictions on themselves while other conferences utilize the more liberal recruiting practices, they'll be slashing their own throats.

Comment

• ...... and what's new about that?
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Nothing, Jeff.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see them actually agree to something like that. Although, in a ironic sort of way, the sleazy Urban Meyer may actually save them from themselves, and talk them out of that foolishness. He walks that NCAA tightrope as good as anyone in the business, and he doesn't want anything taken away that might slip him up.

Comment

• they need to follow the NCAA on this.. .even though I agree... the HS coaches and players are going to get really annoyed with this and the rule will change.

Comment

• Agree, 120+ HS coaches are allowed to contact recruits. Feel sorry for recruits who are the top 5-15 at their position.

Comment

• Interesting comments from Barry Alvarez

1) No more FCS schools. All schools agreed not to schedule them anymore

2) He claims Sparty wants in the West

Comment

• That's a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X