No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 of those wins can be against competition not in the top 40...

4 cupcakes, Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue...

Comment

• And many of them also have been in the recent past. Which is not unlike other top-25 regulars anyhow...

Comment

• An OWH article on BIG recruiting
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Good read from the perspective of an "enemy" writer, Ent. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
            one day soon, Wisky's house of cards will collapse
            Well, it's been about 20 years since Wisky built their "house of cards" and we're still waiting for it to collapse

Comment

• This rebuild is going to be a bit more difficult, with the Meathead not only having to get new players, but also a new coaching staff.

And he was unbelievably lucky last season at the QB position.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I agree with you that they will probably have a difficult year. Difficult meaning around .500, not total collapse.

I just disagree with the general "Wisconsin is a fraud program that pads its record with bad teams" sentiment that has pervaded this board for a long time. They are a good program and aren't a flavor of the month, which is substantiated by the fact that they've kept it going for about two decades now.

For one, OSU and Michigan both "pad their record" with 3 weak OOC teams, more years than not. For another, Wisky isn't like Glen Mason's Minnesota teams which would go 4-0 OOC and then 2-6 in conference. They generally are no worse than .500 in conference play and indeed, have won the conference two years running (and came close in 2006).

Really, they've done a fantastic job with the classes they've recruited. Either they evaluate talent better than the recruiting services or they've done a good job "coaching them up". Either way, it's a positive reflection on the program.

Comment

• Agree with that.

Comment

• I do too.

Comment

• One can say all the good things they want about Wisky in the past and going forward but the Meathead took a massive hit on his coaching staff when his OC Paul Chryst left for the vacant Pitt HC job, poaching UW OL coach Bob Bostad and LBs coach Dave Huxtable on the way out the door. WRs coach Delvaughn Alexander had already been picked off. That makes 4 coaching vacancies.

Supposedly, Bilema won't have any problem filling the vacancies but that kind of disruption is devastating. Add that to the loss of a really good QB and 2012 is going to be rough for the Badgers ..... opening the door for ufm and the bucks to the CCG where they will play a team who has survived a much more challenging road to that game.

I'd say the Badgers are on an equal level with PSU as far as overcoming devastating circumstances. This leaves Purdue as osu's biggest threat .... and, heh, the Boilers beat the nutz in 2011. At least they have that going for them.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                        One can say all the good things they want about Wisky in the past and going forward but the Meathead took a massive hit on his coaching staff when his OC Paul Chryst left for the vacant Pitt HC job, poaching UW OL coach Bob Bostad and LBs coach Dave Huxtable on the way out the door. WRs coach Delvaughn Alexander had already been picked off. That makes 4 coaching vacancies.

Supposedly, Bilema won't have any problem filling the vacancies but that kind of disruption is devastating. Add that to the loss of a really good QB and 2012 is going to be rough for the Badgers ..... opening the door for ufm and the bucks to the CCG where they will play a team who has survived a much more challenging road to that game.

I'd say the Badgers are on an equal level with PSU as far as overcoming devastating circumstances. This leaves Purdue as osu's biggest threat .... and, heh, the Boilers beat the nutz in 2011. At least they have that going for them.
                        I probably should know the answer to this question, but here it is anyway:

Is ohio eligible to even play in the CCG? I know they're banned from going bowling, so does their season end when U of M visits in the annual showdown?

Comment

• They are banned from post season participation. Their last game will be the Michigan game.

Even if their w/l record qualifies them for the CCG, they can't go. It will go to the 2nd place team.

That's why I'm sure their "rallying cry" will be that the Michigan game is their "bowl game".

They'll be looking to lay about 65 on us, but hopefully, they'll spend most of the day tackling air when they go after Denard.
                          Last edited by lineygoblue; February 5, 2012, 03:35 PM.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Yup, they are already calling The Game, their Bowl Game.

Comment

• Same as USC couldn't play Oregon in the Pac 12 CCG, UCLA played, even though they had (another) terrible year.

Comment

• I think the B10 is staring at a P12 quality title game. Maybe M or MSU beat OSU so the B10 champ is at least plausibly the best team.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X