No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urban certainly worth his salt when it comes to recruiting. Not that I'm surprised.

Salvaged isn't even the word I would choose.

He'll do well with his year 'off' to install his offense.

I think I read that every assistant he hired is originally from Ohio? Is that true, talent?

Comment

• All but 1, for now. Everett Withers is from NC. And he needs to hire a secondary coach.

There are some good ball coaches out there from Ohio. Heh.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The paint is not even dry yet in OSU's jail cell and now a glimmer of hope.
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Nah. The Wilderness. 5-10 years. Pestilence. Ruin. Real Old Testament shit. Heh.

Comment

• :::impressed that talent knows about the Old Testament:::
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
              :::impressed that talent knows about the Old Testament:::
              He's a lawyer. Don't they frequently quote scripture during their fiery defense arguments for their clients in huge, mahogany and oak-laden courtrooms draped in American flags with austere judges, attentive jurors, rapt audiences and cameo's from their lawschool mentors?

At least that's how it is in the movies I have seen. Maybe I've been misguided about the law profession.

Comment

• No--you got it right.

Comment

• Stan, are you a plaintiff or a defense attorney, or neither? I have my own opinion about plaintiff attys, as do most physicians you care to ask. One interesting tidbit -plaintiff attorneys usually vote for and support democrats. Anyone here to take the bait?

Comment

• I hate the term "plaintiff attorneys". There are thousands of cases filed each day involving a plaintiff and a defendant. For example, my firm has been a "plaintiff attorney" on numerous huge patent cases representing corporate interests.

Personal injury attorneys is the better phrase, IMO.

Comment

• I am damn proud of the fact that I have spent 31 of the 36 years I have been practicing to represent only plainitffs in serious personal injury cases. I have handled litigation in 46 of the 50 states, with well over 90% on a referral basis from other attorneys that have neither the skill nor resources to handle the typr of litigation I am involved in. I get somewhat of a kick out of the "I am Mormon" ad campaign. I once tried a major product liability case in Ogden Utah and I was literally the only non-Mormon in the courtroom, including my client, my referring attorney, the defense counsel, the judge, his staff and the entire jury. The reason why many plainitff personal injury attorneys are Democrats is because it has been the Republican party that has attempted to close the courthouse doors by granting immunities and other privileges to Defendants. That said, I count many attorneys who handle the defense side of personal inury cases as my firends and I have nothing but the greatest respect for their integrity, skill, and professionalism. I have found that truely conservative (as opposed to reactionary) Republican judges make the best and fairest judges and I would pick one over a 'liberal-leaning" judge anytime.
                      Last edited by UMStan White; January 19, 2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Well said, Stan.

Comment

• I'll agree that most generalizations are flawed. OTOH, taking into account my own personal experience, my contact with "personal injury" attorneys has colored my perceptions. Anyone heard of Geoffrey Fieger? I sat opposite him in the courtroom and in depositions and I have to be careful not to break the rules of decorum here to give my opinions. I've seen a few other examples as well. No doubt most attorneys in this line are probably as decent citizens as anyone else. But the incentives that drive their cases -- well, that is another issue. And I have seen, and experienced, the unbelievable trauma that can ruin the life of a physician who is sued for unjust reasons. One of my partners got crucified over a bogus claim. Whether justified or not claims can eat up 2 or more years of a physician's life.

Everybody makes mistakes but somehow it doesn't seem right to use the profit motive to find the "truth". Lay juries are not equipped or appropriate to determine the scientific or technical merits of most cases of alleged malpractice. And malpractive does happen, but people (juries) can be swayed by a charismatic advocate on purely emotional grounds. I've seen it happen. And another thing. If people are curious about the causes of skyrocketing health care costs look no further than the legal culture that intimidates providers. This leads to "defensive medicine" that is really one of the biggest drivers of cost. Malpractice premiums are far less of an issue when it comes to cost.

OK I shouldn't have brought it up. Back to football. I have nothing against the lawyers here, except talent of course because of the crap school he supports. Stan = one of the good guys.

Comment

• Fieger is notorious. I doubt most lawyers are like him.

Comment

• "And I have seen, and experienced, the unbelievable trauma that can ruin the life of a physician who is sued for unjust reasons."

What you haven't experienced is the unbelievable trauma that can ruin one's life. One who has been seriously injured because of the fault of another. I get tremendous and I mean tremendous personal strength from my clients because when I have a bad day its nothing compared to what is a bad day for them when they cannot walk, they have lost a limb, they have sustained serious brain injury, yet they continue to march forward with dignity and strength. That is nothing compared to the "trauma" of having to sit through a deposition where a skilled attorney is ripping you a new asshole or the "trauma" of having to wait until a jury clears your name. It is an insult to my clients to compare the two. Claims that the rising cost of health care is tied to "frivolous" malpractice claims is total and utter bullshit and has been refuted by every study done. I challenge you to cite a single credible study that concludes that the rising cost of health care is directly related to fears of doctors from malpractice claims. Robin Fleming, the past president of our fine institution chaired a study in the 80"s on the effect of malpractice on the quality of health care and the study concluded that in reality, the overwhelming cases of malpractice never result in any claim being made, let alone having any effect on the cost of health care. Doctors who blame lawyers have it ass backward. You should be blaming your insurance carrier who is charging you outrageous fees for nothing more than a perceived threat to their livelihood. You started this conversation, Doc. It's foolish to think I would let it go unchallenged. (Oh and by the way, I personally do not and have never handled a medical malpractice claim but I've sued several lawyers for malpractice)

Comment

• The insurance agencies definitely like to pit doctors and lawyers against each other. I think they do so so that the doctors and lawyers are too busy fighting with each other to look over and see that the insurance companies win no matter what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X