Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Age 90 after a long battle with cancer."

He's the kind of American you think will never die. he did. Mortality sucks.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• You know you are getting old when you are surprised that he was 90.

Comment

• Yeah, I was surprised he was that old too. What's crazy is Ferentz has now been at Iowa longer than Fry was, but it definitely doesn't seem that way to me.

Between the two of them they've done a great job turning Iowa back into a team that is consistently good and occasionally great. You can never sneer at Iowa the way Woody and Bo could for most of the 60's and 70's.

Comment

• Hayden Fry's 1983 Coaching Staff

There's a lot of guys worth talking about here but to point 6 out....

Top row, far left is Bill Snyder. Right to the left of Fry is Kirk Ferentz

Bottom Row, 2nd from left is Barry Alvarez. 2nd from right is longtime Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney. Bottom row far right is Bob Stoops. Directly in front of Fry is Bill Brashier, who served as his DC for almost his entire time in Iowa City.

83-staff.0.jpg

Comment

• Fry was also responsible for changing Iowa's uniforms to match those of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who were the equivalent of the Patriots in those days. He wanted Iowa to consider themselves championship material.

I remember him saying that his teams would pass the ball, to open up the running game, when the theme at the time was that you run to open up the pass. Everyone thought he was nuts, but he was just ahead of his time.

He was the one who had the visiting locker rooms painted pink because he believed that the color pink could sap the strength of a team in a psychological way.

Finally, I remember when he got himself in trouble once with the PC crowd, when he told one of his players to "find some little dumplin' to iron your shirts for you".

Iowa was a perennial doormat until he came along. No more. Michigan knows more than anyone, that Kinnick is a tough place to win in, especially after dark. Fry played a major role in that.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• He was great in the 80's sitcom "Coach"...

In all seriousness...his coaching tree is enormous. Great influence on the greatest game in the world...
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I was looking at his bio because I legitimately had no clue who he himself may have been an assistant for...not counting high school coaching he was an assistant only a couple years at Baylor under the much-forgotten John Bridgers and then one year for Frank Broyles at Arkansas before SMU plucked him away.

Comment

• Former Fry assistants or players who have taken over as head coaches at a Division I-A college football programs include:[5]
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wasn't Chuck Long considered a good OC at one time? Whatever happened to him? Seems like he fell off the face of the earth

Comment

• Yeah, wondered about him too when that long lost name popped up with Fry's, Looked it up at Wiki:

After five seasons coaching at Iowa, Long left the Hawkeyes to become the quarterbacks coach at Oklahoma. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Long were teammates on Iowa's 1982 Rose Bowl team. Long was an assistant on the Oklahoma team that claimed the 2000 Bowl Championship Series national title. He coached quarterback Josh Heupel to a second-place finish in the Heisman Trophy balloting that year.

After the 2001 season, Long was promoted to Oklahoma's offensive coordinator position. Oklahoma won the Rose Bowl following the 2002 season, and in 2003, the Sooners set a Big 12 ConferenceSan Diego State University[7] Long also had the distinction of having his team lose two games to Division 1-AA Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (in his first and third seasons with the Aztecs, respectively).

Long was offensive coordinator for the Kansas Jayhawks.[8] Long became part of the coaching staff under head coach Turner Gill after the departure of Mark Mangino, Long's former co-worker at Oklahoma.

In 2012, Long became receivers coach at Norman High School in Norman, Oklahoma.[9]

In 2019, Long was hired by the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL as running backs coach.[10]

Well, at least he's alive - age 66 - and is still working football. But, man, the dude is old. Seems like just yesterday he was Fry's DB's coach. When Fry retired, Long was considered for his replacement but Iowa hired Ferentz instead who retained Long in the same coaching position as he had held previously with Fry.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah another guy when you are surprised he's as old as he is. I felt the same way when Ric Ocasek died, he was 75?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Wasn't Chuck Long considered a good OC at one time? Whatever happened to him? Seems like he fell off the face of the earth
                          Head coaching record[edit]

Coaching tree[edit]

Head coaches under whom Long served:
                          Assistant coaches under Long who became college head coaches:
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Maybe that stint with Turner Gill killed his career. I'm just a little surprised he barely did any OC work after he left Oklahoma. As jeff's post shows, he didn't retire...just headed for high school football and, lol, the XFL

Mangino's another one that you would think would have had more work over the past decade but I had forgotten he left Kansas with bad blood between them (turns out he's probably an asshole)

Comment

• Long probably deserves another shot at an OC job.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Iowa (-2) vs Southern California (Holiday)Ohio State (+2) vs Clemson (Fiesta)Michigan (+7) vs. Alabama (Capital One)Minnesota (+7) vs. Auburn (Outback). I firmly believe Wisconsin is the 2ndBoise State (+3) vs. Washington (Las Vegas) vs Oklahoma (Peach). Curbstomping. End of story. 50 something to 20 something.

Texas A&M (-7) vs. Oklahoma State (Alamo)
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X