No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will be surprised if mid nov, ESPN is not talking about all the ranked teams (2-3 loss teams) in the SEC and how tough it is...

And how other teams haven't played as many ranked teams (even if they are 2-3 loss teams)..
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      and who controls perception..
      Eh -- I don't think that ESPN has that kind of absolute power. Not like they used to, at least. Anyhow, my point is, the CEO of Disney can't just issue a directive to get two teams in the BCS championship game and have it automatically. The small draw teams like Louisville and TCU typically don't get the benefit of the doubt from voters anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
        I'd like to understand your calculation on that.
        Simple, he is using that old calculation called wishful thinking.
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
          Simple, he is using that old calculation called wishful thinking.
          Or more accurately, how it's always worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            And the perception will not be that ohio state is 13-0. It will be that they are 25-0 and didn't get their shot last year.
            The perception is that they play a flimsy schedule and come from a shitty conference.
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Also true. That's why they'd lose a tie-breaker with an SEC team but they won't be jumped by a 1-loss team if they are 13-0 and nor should they.
              Last edited by Mike; October 14, 2013, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Or more accurately, how it's always worked.
                That's true. I can only base my conclusion on a mountain of uncontradicted evidence.

Others can hypothesize unprecedented outcomes all they want. In that event, the same rationale, unsupported by any actual facts, supports a 2-loss SEC team going ahead of Ohio State. So, I guess that is a "possibility", too.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think within reason its fair enough to postulate that precedents are to be followed until the SEC wants them broken. That itself is a precendent. Not that they will succeed every time, but if it plays out with OSU undefeated and a one-loss SEC team, that one-loss SEC team is going to have an exceptionally strong argument even before the politics.

Comment

• I'm not sure what precedent the SEC has broken other than the "no rematch" one. That said, the LSU-Alabama game fits squarely within the way things work. Best records amongst "BCS Conference" schools play for the title. SEC wins all ties. That's what WILL happen again.

Comment

• Has it been only that one? I thought there were two such instances. I see your point too. But are you suggesting that there won't be a ton of pressure in favor of a one-loss SEC team over an undefeated OSU? And are you suggesting they won't have a strong argument, to the extent that that type of appeal to common sense can be effective?

Comment

• I don't think there will be a "ton of pressure." As to whether they will have a "strong argument," to the extent the argument is about the "best" team, then sure. But, then again, a 2-loss SEC team could make a similar argument.

LSU is currently the highest ranked 1-loss SEC team. They're not only behind OSU in the polls that matter, but also LOUISVILLE. I think LSU can get around Louisville, but climbing past OSU will take a lot of doing. And LSU presents the absolute strongest 1-loss case the SEC can make as they would have wins over TCU, Florida, @Bama, Texas A&M and the SECCG.

I'll also refer to last season. Notre Dame was massively ahead of Alabama in every poll. I doubt many actually believed ND was better, but they did believe that ND should be ranked ahead of Alabama. And if, e.g., Oregon had gone undefeated then Alabama would have been left out for Notre Dame. There's zero doubt about that.

Comment

• I have lots of concerns about Ohio State this season. I am not concerned, in the least, with Ohio State getting shut out of the BCS Title game in favor of a 1-loss team.

Comment

• Good point about ND last year.

Comment

• More food for thought...Alabama's schedule this year is not nearly as tough as Florida in 2006 or LSU in 2007. The SEC has 8 ranked teams but Bama doesn't play Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri, or themselves. Auburn will almost certainly not be ranked by the time they face Bama.

Comment

• Is Bama loses to LSU and wins the rest of their games they will be in the championship game against Oregon (if they are undefeated).

If Oregon loses a game early and wins the rest of their games they will be in against Bama (if they are undefeated).

OSU is like an undefeated Boise team of a few years back. Bad schedule. Not good enough competition in a perceived (and real) shitty league
                                Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                                X