Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Yeah, for basically his 8 good teams (out of 10), Tressel only lost one game he absolutely should have won, and that was @Purdue in 2008. The only other game that might qualify is the loss to Illinois and Juice Williams at home, but they were 9-4. In his '8 good seasons" the records of teams that beat him:

7-6 (@Wisconsin at night -- that's always a dogfight)
    10-3
    13-0
    11-1
    13-1
    9-4
    12-2
    12-1
    11-2
    12-1
    9-4
    5-7
    11-2

He got boat raced by the stupid good 2008 USC and, of course, UFM's Florida team. But his teams would have never got smoked by Purdue or Iowa. That said, he wasn't as good in the "big games" as UFM. I think both are direct products of their approaches. Tressel was very conservative with his offense AND his defense. The latter was definitely a "make you drive the field" approach that generally kills lesser offensive talent. UFM is high pressure on offense and defense. So, Tressel wasn't prone to highs and lows like UFM.
    Tressel's offense was underachieving crap other than the 18 or so games where Troy Smith was the Heisman guy. He squandered Pryor's physical gifts in a way that Brady Hoke probably couldn't even do. Jim Bollman was his Mike Debord. His defense was always solid. So was his, ahem, "recruiting".

Comment

• Pryor was overrated though. Having physical gifts is secondary to being able to play the position.

You can't take away Troy Smith anymore than you can take away Tim Tebow from Meyer. Successful coaches have really good players, that is what makes them successful coaches.

Comment

• You're overrated
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I dunno. Tressel's offenses rarely passed the eyeball test for me. I don't think that he got a lot out of his guys on that side of the ball.

Comment

• Passing your eyeball test is not what makes a great coach though.

Comment

• Does passing gas?

farts
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Glad I didn't upgrade to Microsoft's smellavision

Comment

• AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Maryland is a dumpster fire.

"Durkin retained! Er, Durkin fired!"
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Could Michigan State please announce a game time already? I wanna know if i'm gonna have a long miserable day or a really, really long miserable day

Comment

• ........... justifiable outrage regarding Durkini's retention from multiple levels, including players, forced Loh's hand. Bravo for the correct decision to fire Durkin but Loh's an idiot and so was every member of the BOR who endorsed his retention.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Could Michigan State please announce a game time already? I wanna know if i'm gonna have a long miserable day or a really, really long miserable day
                          Clearly Dantonio is up to his intimidation techniques. Good chance he's got a hand in this although it's probably got more to do with network conflicts. regardless, he's back there grinning and laughing.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Isn't that a Big Ten/Fox/Disney decision?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                Maryland is a dumpster fire.

"Durkin retained! Er, Durkin fired!"
                                That they even thought about retaining him is incredible. But it's just another example of how worthless the concept of self-policing in the sport is.
                                Last edited by Hannibal; October 31, 2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X