No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agree. Navy's offense going for it on 4th and 10 is not a good idea. It is easy for a coach to brag about his success in going for it when he has a good offense to make it work.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I'd think that a lot of it would depend on your offense; if you have a dominant unit that going to convert most of these attempts, sure. If you're struggling to get to 4th and short in the first place, probably not a great idea.
      Well, yeah. I mean the equation is fairly simply: Likelihood of success > Field position cost?

UFM is a pretty big sabermetrics guy, and Ohio State intentionally tries to kick the ball to the corner of the field inside the 5 with the hope of stopping the return inside the 20. They feel that the extra 5-8 yards is well worth the risk of the a longer return as opposed to simply kicking it for a touchback. That suggests to me that onside kicks at the college level and their potential 30 yard differential are, in no way, worth it. I think the only way they're worth it is if you're offense is scoring TDs at a 90% rate OR if your defense is so f'n awful that field position doesn't matter.

I could have seen it being meritorious during the RichGOD era at M -- good offense; total shit defense.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Well, yeah. I mean the equation is fairly simply: Likelihood of success > Field position cost?
        Agree....but its easy to describe things. How it works in practice is another matter, dependent on numerous variables.

Comment

• The rugby thing is of interest to me, it is a basic instinct to lateral when you are going down. The team I've worked with trots out the hook and ladder and it is always successful, but it is basically only called at the end of half. But you've never seen a team rely try to do it regularly.

Comment

• As for the Spread vs. Pro Style debate, here's a great article from @smartfootball about the how the Power and Counter concepts developed and how they are being incorporate in not just Pro-Style but Spread offenses too, particularly OSU in the Championship game last year.

Comment

• It's not the x's and o's...it's the jimmy's and joe's...
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                It's not the x's and o's...it's the jimmy's and joe's...
                I miss Barry
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Maryland was beat by Bowling Green at home lol. ... Double digit defeat too.
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Sparty trying to choke again.
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• They tried like hell but Oregon's QB blew it. WIDE open TD pass that he overthrew and then took a sack on the next play. Not even in FG range now. 4th and 16.

Game over. That guy sucks.

Comment

• Haters going to hate.

Comment

• Yep, they're still getting used to #2 status in the state

Better week overall for the conf. Only Maryland and Rutgers lost. Rutgers at least had the decency to make it close and lose to a P5 team. Sparty, Michigan, and Iowa picked up P5 wins. Minnesota squeaked by a decent Colorado State team on the road. Almost everyone else steamrolled their bad opponents.

Comment

• And let's say this: top to bottom, the West is the deeper division. The two best teams are in the East, but the West is better than people expected.

Comment

• Next Week: (It's ACC Themed)

Illinois @ UNC
                              Indiana v. Western Kentucky
                              Iowa v. Pitt
                              Maryland v. South Florida
                              Michigan v. UNLV
                              Michigan St v. Air Force
                              Minnesota v. Kent State
                              Nebraska @ Miami
                              Northwestern @ Duke
                              OSU v. Northern Illinois
                              Penn State v. Rutgers
                              Purdue v. Virginia Tech
                              Wisconsin v. Troy

Could be a lot of losses...

Comment

• Well, count me in as a great win for MSU and The Big Ten (didn't cover the spread though) :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X