No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get his. I may not like MSU, Mark Dantonio or Narduzi but MSU has played some good football on both sides of the ball with decent if not great recruiting. They seem to know how to cobble together good football teams despite a lack of elite talent although they get a few and make the most of it.

They are both outstanding CFB coaches, not withstanding Narduzi is evil personified, if getting the best out of their players is a decent measure of that.
    At the risk of offending him, I agree with Buchanan.

I will say that MSU has really hit big on some Ohio kids the big boys weren't too interested in. It's difficult to keep hitting on those kids (regardless of State).
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Eh. I think that's reading too much into a short-term result. Ultimately, Hoke is going to have to win a title with his players over the next few years or the program will slowly begin to decline. And, I guess, the longer UFM keeps up his mystique the better for OSU. But I don't see two weeks having significant long-term implications.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• If Meyer picks off a kid or two from UM as a result of it, you can get something snowballing based on the idea that it's no longer Tressell's cheating or Tressell vs Lloyd. Not saying it's likely, but possible.

Re MSU, I don't think you can say as a rule that D'antonio and Narduzzi are going to be able to turn MSU into Wisconsin with defense and WRs instead of OL and RBs, so to speak. They're good football minds, no question. They cannot be judged outside the context of RichRod, however. I think things will normalize in the sense that whether UM moves to an elite status or their elite-ish status of the early 00s, MSU isn't going to get but the odd kid that has an affinity or is a legacy or something, and ultimately the talent gap is going to be definitive. They'll go back to being a team that spends a year or two a decade solidly in the top 25.

Comment

• Wisconsin finalizes its games with LSU

The first line of Wisconsin's news release Friday afternoon summed it up perfectly: After months of speculation, it is finally official.Indeed, Badgers fans, you can finally book those tickets to Houston to watch Wisconsin kick off the 2014 season against LSU at Reliant Stadium on Aug.

Comment

• Found on the mgoblog forums...

Indiana's starting RG Dan Feeney is out for the year. He was honorable mention All Big Ten last year.

Comment

• That's going to hurt. Indiana was picked as a overachieving dark horse this year by a couple of services. They can't afford any injuries.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Wednesday, August 28, 2013
                B1G to allow unlimited replays in stadiums
                By Adam Rittenberg

Remember that time when your favorite Big Ten team got hosed on a terrible call and you looked up at the massive JumboTron in the stadium for a replay, only to see a shot of the mascot shaking its massive noggin?

Those days, thankfully, are over.

Rejoice, Big Ten fans, as the league today announced that its schools can show an "unlimited number of replays on football stadium video boards." Yes, even the highly controversial calls can be replayed over and over.

The Big Ten's gameday experience subcommittee also approved schools to show multiple replays at any speed. Previously, institutions could only show a replay at no less than 75 percent of real-time speed. This means when a call goes against the home team, the stadium video crew can show it over and over in slo-mo.

Those poor, poor officials.

"Our goal on game day is to blend the best parts of an in-stadium experience with the best parts of an at-home experience," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said in a prepared statement. "Enhanced replay is just one way to do that, and we look forward to making it available to our fans this year."

The subcommittee also is encouraging all institutions to provide full Wi-Fi in their stadiums as well as enhanced video content such as locker-room video that can be played on the video boards. They are also encouraging more coverage of Big Ten and other NCAA games on the video boards. The league also wants its institutions to explore having social media lounges in their stadiums, much like the ones recently set up at professional sports venues.

The Big Ten clearly is concerned about upgrading the game-day experience. Last season, the league had its lowest average attendance figure since the 2008 season, although Big Ten teams occupied six of the top 20 FBS spots in average attendance.

Today's announcement undoubtedly will be a hit with the fans, and it should be. Bad calls shouldn't be hidden from fans in the stadium when those at home see them replayed over and over.

If you have a suggestion for improving the gameday experience in the Big Ten, contact Big Ten staffer Kerry Kenny at kkenny@bigten.org.

Kerry, I hope you have some space in your inbox
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• It's about friggin time! No more calling people on the phone to find out how the official review will come out.

Comment

• Social Media Lounges ?!? WTF is that? A place where those normally residing in their mothers' basements can all sit around madly thumbing their smart phones while rarely speaking or making eye contact? Why would you go to a football game if you're going to sit around and write nonsensical 'blogs' that only fellow drooling idiots would read anyway?
                    Last edited by Ghengis Jon; August 30, 2013, 03:02 AM.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• ::: quickly stashes away smart phone :::
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I would shocked to find you chose a SML over the concession stand...

Comment

• Minnesota and Indiana blowing out bad teams like they should. Indiana's offense looks like it could be really good.

Comment

• But there defense will be just as bad as it's offense is good, wouldn't shock me to see them compete for 2nd place in the lesser division of the B10.

Comment

• Minnehaha's blowout came complements of two special teams TDs and one defensive TD. Their run defense gave up 7.8 ypc to UNLV's tailbacks.

Comment

• I'm watching my DVR of the Penn State game and I wasn't aware that the 65 scholarship limit doesn't hit until 2014. That's pretty devastating since they have already suffered the effects of probation in 2012 and 2013.

Comment

Working...
                                X