No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Roger Craig? That would be the one for me.

Comment

• I didn't even know Roger Craig went to Nebraska.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Now were I to name a person emblematic, it would be Scott Frost. Or Lawrence Phillips.

Comment

• On second thought, symptomatic is a better word choice.

Comment

• when you have awards named for you.. you'd have my vote. Rimington
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• but from my childhood, it would either have been Rozier or Fryer... Rathman would have been next in line.

Teenage/college it was Green and Frazier..

Suh is the recent legend..

prior to my life.. .Johnny Rogers and Glover stand out.. and prior to them Pat Fischer and Sam Francis

Comment

• Frazier is the first player I think of that played for Nebraska; but I'm nearing my mid 30's so Rozier was before my time.

Comment

• Same here.

Comment

• Only a few of those numbers are actually retired...Novak's 60 for certain. It was permanently retired and taken out of use by vote of the N Club.

Rodger's No. 20 is as well IIRC. Nobody is wearing it right now.

Comment

• Multiple sites listed NE as having 17 retired jerseys.
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Not all retirees are created equal; some are out of use, others are not. They were running low on numbers, so they changed the policy back in the 90s to bring some of them back into use. Our starting LT for instance, wears #71. We have two guys wearing 7, 50 and 98.

Comment

• hoss.. correct.

Comment

• Roger Craig had the misfortune of having to play behind a Heisman Trophy winner (Mike Rozier). Dude would have starred for any other program that year. Reminded me of when Ahmann Green played behind LP...until LP turned psycho.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I don't remember Craig @ Nebraska, but I remember him as a Niner clearly and at that point as a Nebraska alum.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                I don't remember Craig @ Nebraska, but I remember him as a Niner clearly and at that point as a Nebraska alum.
                                I remember him as a pro, but not from college.

I think this is a really interesting question. Fans of a college team will remember many of their stars but nationally I think it is more of a "face" of the program question-that one player that most everyone thinks of when they think of a College football program. Most because of their near legendary status.

Undoubtably, there are many great Georgia players, but when I think of Georgia, I think of Herschel Walker. Period.

Ohio State: Archie Griffin
                                Alabama: For me it is Joe Namath
                                Syracuse: Jim Brown
                                etc etc

Some teams are harder than others because of their national exposure. Notre Dame and USC come to mind. Some don't have anyone that registers outside of the local fan base.
                                Last edited by CGVT; August 12, 2013, 12:08 PM.
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X