X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestlers punished for rabbit hunt

Updated: November 21, 2012, 4:12 PM ET
    Associated Press

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Two University of Iowa wrestlers were suspended from the team Wednesday after they admitted to illegally hunting rabbits on campus in hopes of making rabbit-skin caps, according to police.

Alex Meyer and Connor Ryan, both freshmen, were arrested Tuesday night after a security officer saw two men, including one with a long gun, near the nursing building, according to an incident report. Officers later found the two in Hillcrest Residence Hall and discovered rabbit skins in Meyer's dormitory.

Meyer and Ryan each admitted to hunting with friends on campus using air rifles, which typically discharge pellets or BBs. Each explained that they went hunting Saturday and again Tuesday because they wanted "to make hats," according to criminal complaints filed against them.

They killed an unspecified number of rabbits, and police seized at least two air rifles, which are not allowed on campus, associate director of public safety David Visin said.

Meyer and Ryan were both charged with violating a municipal code by discharging air rifles within city limits, a simple misdemeanor punishable with anywhere from a $65 fine to 30 days in jail; and cited for violating a state law that bans hunting after dark, which carries a $93 fine. Meyer was also cited for hunting without a license, a $100 infraction.

Athletic director Gary Barta said the wrestlers were suspended indefinitely and will face potential disciplinary action under conduct codes for students and athletes. Further information about their status will not be released "until a definitive outcome is realized."

Meyer is from the Des Moines suburb of Pleasant Hill and wrestles at 174 pounds, according to his team biography. He won the 170-pound state championship as a senior at Southeast Polk High School. Ryan wrestles at 141 and 149 pounds and was a four-time state champion runner-up during his career at Bettendorf High School.

Neither has wrestled in a match so far this season for Iowa, which is 3-0 and is preparing for a competition in Iowa City on Saturday.

Iowa has a storied wrestling program, which has played a dominant role in the sport since the 1970s. The Hawkeyes have won 23 of the last 38 NCAA championships and produced a string of All-Americans and individual champions.

Meyer's mother, Lorna, said she had no details on her son's arrest. A message for Ryan on Wednesday morning wasn't returned.

State Department of Natural Resources spokesman Mick Klemesrud said rabbit hunting season runs from Sept. 1 to Feb. 28, and the sport is most common in the pastures and timbers of southern Iowa. He said the sport has long helped introduce kids to hunting, but has declined significantly in popularity in recent years.

Klemesrud said the wrestlers could have found a place to legally hunt rabbits at several wildlife areas near Iowa City.

"If they want to hunt rabbits, they can come out to the countryside, either knock on doors and ask for permission to go on private land or come to our public areas," he said. "But you can't hunt in town."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• LOL

Comment

• I think UNL needs a new rival

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
          I think UNL needs a new rival
          Stow that shit. I am not giving up the...uh...whatever invaluable trophy it is we keep from Iowa every year.

And by "every year" I mean since 2011.

Comment

• Meanwhile in Iowa City...

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Ancient Greco-Roman wrestling it's pretty gay. For example, here's DSL & Talent fighting over their Buckeye Bowl tickets! Some sick sob captured the moment in alabaster.

?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Sodomy is illegal in Ohio...however Talent and DSL are dickless so maybe that is not an illegal act...just disgusting...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• technocrat....

...as disciples of Saint James, I hardly think it's the first time they thumbed their noses at the law.
                  ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Well they are self proclaimed "Tresselites"
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• “And there were also sodomites/Tresselites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out before the children of Israel.”
                      1 Kings 14:24

Comment

• ...and let us not forget Revelation 21:8...

"...but as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, tattoo artists and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                            Stow that shit. I am not giving up the...uh...whatever invaluable trophy it is we keep from Iowa every year.

And by "every year" I mean since 2011.

My only compliant with the BIG... they gave us Iowa and PSU.

Comment

• You may be actually referring to Spartans? Pretty sure back in the day they had a system in which every soldier was assigned a boy to, uh, ``mentor''. They were systematic with that.

Comment

• Is nebraska the only normal place...

Comment

Working...
                                X