No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. $60 million fine...to go into an endowment fund for children's causes.

2. 4 Year Bowl ban

3. Schollie reductions of 10 for 4 years.

Transfers will be able to compete immediately.

Remaining players can keep schollies if they maintain grades whether they play or not.

4. Vacate all wins from 1998-2011.

5. 5 Year Probation for all sports.

6. More formal investigations to come...more discipline if needed.

7. NCAA will select a monitoring group to further evaluate the progress of the University.

NOTE: Death Penalty was considered but the above sanctions were deemed to be more appropriate.

WOW.
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The schollie reductions will hurt Penn State more than those same penalties have for other universities, because Penn State's last couple of recruiting classes haven't been that good. USC at least had a huge reserve of 4* and 5* guys to tide them over. Penn State has nothing like that. If the big QB that is committed to them leaves, they are stuck with McGloin type guys for another five years.

I hope that any starting O or D linemen are on Hoke's speed dial right now. Especially "O" linemen. We could really use about three guys there, even if they are just mediocre depth guys. Silas Redd would be a nice addition too.
      Last edited by Hannibal; July 23, 2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Vacating wins is the shot at Joe's legacy. Because of what he ignored, I'm glad they did it. He should not go down in history as the winningest Div 1 coach in NCAA history...
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• And three more RichRod losses just got wiped off the books. Yayy!!!

Comment

• Tons of collateral damage that has done absolutely NOTHING to punish the individuals that actually committed heinous crimes and broke the law, namely Paterno, Spanier, Curley, Schultz and Sandusky.....they have left or been fired from PSU.

And three more RichRod losses just got wiped off the books. Yayy!!!
            Careful, he may now want his job back.
            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Wonder if the Delaney and BI0 presidents are still considering booting PSU from the B10. Now would be the time to do it. They are going to be a huge albatross financially and from the standpoint of reputation.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• IMO, two big things missing:

1) Lengthy TV ban

2) Suspension of the football program for a specified period of time (a.k.a. Death Penalty)

While I'm glad about everything else they're doing to correct the wrongs, and happy they're leaving the door open for more penalties pending the results of further investigation, I'm still convinced that, if ever a "death penalty" was deserved, this is it.

We'll just have to wait and see what other surprises will be unveiled down the road; I don't think we're anywhere near uncovering the entirety of PSU's sins.

I wonder, too, how much of this was self-imposed in the course of discussions (vs. NCAA-imposed). I'm hoping that the hammering PSU is taking will lead to them self-imposing even more in an effort to show some contrition; only time will tell.
                Last edited by Rob F; July 23, 2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
                  Tons of collateral damage that has done absolutely NOTHING to punish the individuals that actually committed heinous crimes and broke the law, namely Paterno, Spanier, Curley, Schultz and Sandusky.....they have left or been fired from PSU.

Careful, he may now want his job back.

Oh, they'll pay, literally.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I still hold the NCAA has no jurisdciton here. The application of 10.1 to support a finding of LOIC is a stretch. That it appears the NCAA will abbrogate established procedures in meeting out penalties to PSU, especially that of due process, is a terrible precendent setting act.

The power grab by Emmert is going to be damaging to the NCAA's authority going forward. I suspect a challenge to this act but not now. It will come from the college presidents down the road. Maybe in a year or two. Emmert may have sealed his own fate and that of the NCAA by bringing his and its own end ....... silver lining.

I have every reason to believe Emmert presented PSU an either or offer that involved a public flogging by the NCAA versus private, self imposed penlaties. PSU balked and Emmert acted. The NCAA's undertaking had to be motivated by emotion, anger and some degree of footdragging by PSU. It's stunning lack of consideration for some of the issues rised here is evidence of that.
                    Good lord, Buchanan, we're on the same page. Amazingly enough, I also agree with OP's last two posts.

Personally, I'm appalled by the sanctions. The NCAA has now established a "morality" precedent. That said, I'm not a "slippery slope" guy and my thought -- perhaps my hope -- is that this is a one-time grossly excessive excercise of its power that is entirely limited to the facts. That's what the pragmatic side of me says. But I realllllyyyy don't trust the NCAA, so it's still a bit concerning.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I still feel like we're not done. This can't be limited to just four individuals. Even Mike McQueary, for example, after reporting that he saw a child getting raped in the showers, still continued to coach in that shithole once they did nothing about it. How could anyone still get out of bed and go to work at a place like that? There was so much smoke here that I'll bet that some media memberrs had some evidence of this long before it became public and sat on it. We might never find proof of that, but I'd bet just about anything that it happened.

Comment

• And three more RichRod losses just got wiped off the books. Yayy!!!
                        No, but 3 more wins against RichRod were vacated. This is NCAA world, Hanni, vacated wins doesn't equal vacated losses! So, RichRod was 0-3 against PSU and PSU was 0-0 against RichRod. Gotta love it!

Comment

• Well officially, Matt McGloin didn't throw for 250 yards and the Penn State offense didn't score 41 on us. That's good enough for me!

Comment

• Rob:

There's no way a TV ban works these days. It was ok back in the day of the NCAA's monopolistic, assinine limits on TV appearances. You could ban a team from TV without cutting into anyone else's appearances. But now, every B10 game is televised and the penalty would necessarily injure so-called innocent bystanders.

Comment

• Well officially, Matt McGloin didn't throw for 250 yards and the Penn State offense didn't score 41 on us. That's good enough for me!
                              I could be wrong, but I think all stats still count, too! Just the win is vacated. McGroin still had his day. Heh.

Comment

• So now the two guys leading in all time wins have had a bunch of wins vacated. Is Bear Bryant the all time winningest I-A coach again yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X