No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was meaning to post about this a while back but forgot. About a month ago I was listening to the local San Diego sports radio show and the San Diego State Athletic Director, Jim Sterk, was on as a guest. The topic of discussion was football scheduling and the challenges SDSU faces as they move to the Big East next year. For example, they don't want to have to play out east in a non-con game given that they'll have to travel out there a few times each year for conference play, they'd like to play where they recruit, etc.

Then came a shocking revelation. Sterk said ESPN had called him and asked if SDSU would be interested in playing at Alabama early next year. Sterk laughed it off by saying SDSU doesn't play NFL teams and Alabama isn't exactly their recruiting turf. I'll paraphrase the rest of the conversation.

The radio host then jumped in - right as I was thinking did he just say what I think he said? and followed up by asking "did you just say ESPN called you?"

"Yes" said Sterk.

"Nobody from Alabama? Not their AD, not Nick Saban?"

"Correct. Nobody from Bama called it was TV guys at ESPN. They said there suddenly was an open date on Alabama's schedule that they were trying to fill and if we'd be interested. I told them hell no."

The radio guy was shocked at this, as was I. The AD seemed taken aback as well.

Question: Is it common practice for a network to be directly involved in scheduling games? Sterk mentioned that whoever it was he spoke with said they were helping Alabama fill their open date. I just found it shocking that the network broadcasting the game is actually doing the legwork in finding a sacrificial lamb. Maybe they thought SDSU would bring them better SoCal ratings or something (they obviously don't realize a lot of High Schools draw more fans than the Aztecs). Anyway, just another sign of the times I suppose but I find it very sleazy.

Comment

• I'll bet that the networks control more than scheduling.

And, I also believe that if the network execs get angry enough, all they've got to do is pick up a phone and call the NFL offices, and the "labor dispute" with the real referees goes away overnight.
      Save Michigan Football. Fire Warde Manuel.

Comment

• Gamblers have MSU, Nebraska and Wisconsin ahead of M for the B10 title.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          I really wish more alumni would see the cost of the hubris at the top. Stop praising the emperor for his new clothes and you'll have better leadership here.
          Or maybe fewer of them should have exerted their influence on those leaders to make such a radical shift in the direction of the program?

Comment

• Well, yeah. Agreed.

Comment

• The Big 12 is sure having some scoring fests today. WVU beat Baylor 70-63 (in regulation) earlier Texas and OSU are in a shootout right now. Horns are up 21-17 with 11 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

Comment

• OKLAHOMA CITY -- After taking another look at the replays, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy still has questions about Texas running back Joe Bergeron's winning touchdown in the teams' Big 12 opener.

Gundy said on a conference call Sunday night that the first thing he did in the morning was look back over film of the play from the previous night.

"I think he fumbled," Gundy said. "I don't know what else to say."

Officials ruled on the field that Bergeron had scored on a 2-yard touchdown run with 29 seconds left. Oklahoma State's Daytawion Lowe came out of a pileup at the goal line with the ball, but the initial ruling was upheld after an instant replay review.

The Longhorns (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) won 41-36 and moved up to No. 11 in The Associated Press poll Sunday.

Gundy said he didn't get an explanation of the ruling on the play, though he admitted he hadn't sought one out on his own. He said he "can't imagine that they wouldn't" contact him to discuss the play further.

"We don't really get that answer on the field," Gundy said. "We only get the answer that they are reviewing a fumble and then the only thing that I can say is the determination must have been that he didn't fumble or that he had already crossed the goal line before he fumbled. But I never got that answer."

Gundy said he thought he might have had access to video angles that weren't available to officials -- or to the television audience -- from the team's own film. After his own review, he had doubts that the right call was made.

"We coach our players to fight until the very end, the half-yard line, 2-yard line, 4-yard line. Alex Elkins did a great job of putting his helmet on the football, and that's what he's coached to do," Gundy said. "I'm disappointed from that standpoint but there's just nothing you can do. You've just got to move forward."

Oklahoma State (2-2, 0-1) has this week off before playing at Kansas on Oct. 13. He didn't expect there to be any hangover with his players over the close call.

"In that area, they are fairly well trained. They know that they can't change calls," Gundy said. "I haven't heard one comment from them. It hasn't been discussed with anybody on our coaching staff."
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• UCLA and the media..

Comment

• Yeah, the pissing match between Mora and Kiffin and the media is pretty stupid out here.

Comment

• The Big 12's coordinator of officials "apologized profusely" to Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy for his official's botched call at the end of the Cowboys' 41-36 loss to Texas, according to a report in The Oklahoman.

Walt Anderson told Gundy that head linesman Brad Edwards signaled touchdown too soon without a proper view of the ball on the play that put the Longhorns ahead, according to the report. Texas running back Joe Bergeron fumbled, and the question was whether it happened before he crossed the goal line.

Big 12 blog

ESPN.com's David Ubben writes about all things involving the Big 12 in the conference blog.

More:
                      • Blog network: College Football Nation

Edwards was on the Texas side of the goal line and sprinted into the pile to signal that Bergeron had scored. Replay officials reviewed the play and confirmed the call, despite Oklahoma State safety Daytawion Lowe reaching into the pile and recovering the fumble.

A Big 12 source told the paper that the replay decision was correct, however, because there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the play. As Edwards signaled for a touchdown, Lowe argued with umpire Scott Teifer while holding the football.

An officiating source told the paper that once the ball gets lost in the pile, clear recovery goes away. In order to earn possession, Oklahoma State would have had to demonstrate clear recovery.

The loss dropped Oklahoma State to 2-2 and improved Texas to 4-0. The Longhorns are 1-0 in Big 12 play, and Oklahoma State dropped to 0-1.

Comment

• The Big 12's coordinator of officials "apologized profusely" to Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy for his official's botched call at the end of the Cowboys' 41-36 loss to Texas, according to a report in The Oklahoman.

Walt Anderson told Gundy that head linesman Brad Edwards signaled touchdown too soon without a proper view of the ball on the play that put the Longhorns ahead, according to the report. Texas running back Joe Bergeron fumbled, and the question was whether it happened before he crossed the goal line.

Big 12 blog

ESPN.com's David Ubben writes about all things involving the Big 12 in the conference blog.

More:
                        ? Blog network: College Football Nation

Edwards was on the Texas side of the goal line and sprinted into the pile to signal that Bergeron had scored. Replay officials reviewed the play and confirmed the call, despite Oklahoma State safety Daytawion Lowe reaching into the pile and recovering the fumble.

A Big 12 source told the paper that the replay decision was correct, however, because there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the play. As Edwards signaled for a touchdown, Lowe argued with umpire Scott Teifer while holding the football.

An officiating source told the paper that once the ball gets lost in the pile, clear recovery goes away. In order to earn possession, Oklahoma State would have had to demonstrate clear recovery.

The loss dropped Oklahoma State to 2-2 and improved Texas to 4-0. The Longhorns are 1-0 in Big 12 play, and Oklahoma State dropped to 0-1.

Comment

• Never saw a good angle of that play, did he get in before fumbling?

Comment

• B12 Officiating.

Biggest oxymoron known to mankind. Outside of Talent being a lawyer that is...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• So yer sayin' he's just a moron?
                              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• You are one sharp cookie!
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X