No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOS ANGELES -- USC coach Lane Kiffin said Tuesday that he "would not vote USC No. 1" in the coaches' poll, but he actually did, USA Today revealed Thursday night.

Citing Kiffin's providing of "false or misleading information" to the public and a desire to "set the record straight to protect the poll's integrity," the newspaper released Kiffin's top-voted team in the USA Today Coaches' Poll.

More On USC

For more news and notes on the Trojans, check out ESPNLosAngeles.com's blog. Blog

Votes are normally kept confidential until the final poll of each year.

Asked after his Trojans' Tuesday practice to reveal the team he voted to be No. 1 in the country, Kiffin said he could not disclose that information. But when told of Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez's comment that he voted the Trojans first, Kiffin laughed.

"I would not vote USC No. 1, I can tell you that much," Kiffin said.

He expressed similar sentiments at Pac-12 media day last month before the Trojans added Penn State running back Silas Redd to their roster.

"I don't know how you vote a team No. 1 that has less players than everybody else, so I don't but I'm sure I think I know our issues more than other people do, especially at running back," Kiffin said.

Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association which co-directs the poll with the newspaper, told USA Today he sent Kiffin a letter about his issue with the comments.

USC senior associate athletic director of media relations Tim Tessalone said Kiffin had not received a letter or a phone call from Teaff as of late Thursday night.

Pac-12 blog

Pac 12 ESPN.com's Ted Miller and Kevin Gemmell write about all things Pac-12 in the conference blog.

? Blog network:
    College Football Nation

"USA TODAY sent a June 4, 2012, letter to coaches who agreed to vote in its college football poll stating that, except for the final poll of the regular season, 'votes for all other polls will be kept confidential by USA Today,'" Tessalone said in a statement. "The fact that the leadership of the American Football Coaches Association, which tasks USA TODAY to administer its poll, joined with the poll administrators from USA TODAY to decide to breach that confidentiality by providing to a reporter a coach's vote in its pre-season poll is disappointing and attacks the integrity of the poll.

"Further, that the reporter who was given this information represents the very organization that conducts the poll is a conflict of journalistic interest."

In the June 4 letter to Kiffin, there is no mention of USA Today's ability to reveal votes in certain situations.

Kiffin defended his vote to the newspaper by saying his players would have found out one way or another if he hadn't put the Trojans No. 1.

"We have less players than everybody else," Kiffin told USA Today. "So looking at it from the outside, I wouldn't (vote USC No. 1). Did I? Yeah, I did. That's not based off of 75 vs. 85. That's based off of Matt Barkley, T.J. McDonald and Robert Woods and Marqise Lee. When everybody has the same record, I can't go into a meeting with our players and have them say, 'You put that team and that team ahead of us.' That's why I did that."

The preseason poll was Kiffin's first-ever vote in the USA Today Coaches' Poll.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• More lies and crap from the Kiff. What a slime
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Carroll was a better liar.

Comment

• Kiff just hasn't had the chance to lie as much yet
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Does this shock anyone? USC fires a cheater and hires a bigger cheater all the while on a major probation.

Classic.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• ...but I guess so did Ohio State...

heh
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Don't forget Sneaky Pete didn't get fired, he scooted out of town before the hammer fell; like the stand-up guy he is!

Comment

• People can shit on Lan-O all they want, but he's dominating recruiting. His class has a good chance to end up #1 with limited numbers. 13 of his 18 recruits are in the Scout top 100. The average "star" rating is an obscene 4.33. They have 3 kids rated #1 at their positon by Scout and four more rated #2. And he did a nice job of getting that team to come around last season.

And Barkely gave him a gift.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• He's still an asshat!

Comment

• That's correct. And the whole of USC should be burned to the ground, salted, napalmed, salted and burned again. But, credit where credit is due.

Rubbin' is racing!

Comment

• Oh, no doubt. The man can recruit (however he choses to go about it is debatable!).

Rubbin' is Racin' is taking it on the chin again. Not a good segment. Not a good entry into the pool, for that matter!

Comment

• You've had some remarkably bad luck. Any time a big-name driver heads behind the wall, I assume you started him that week. Sad But Truex is in a real battle for a precious segment win.

Comment

• Liars are usually good recruiters. Damn liars are even better. Lane is a damn liar. I don't know if he can coach much but he can recruit.

Ditto for Urban.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• If 2 BCS titles is any indication, UFM can probably coach a little, too.

Anywho, Honey Badger is out at LSU. I can't imagine how many drug tests he had to fail before Lester kicked him to the curb. Though, TBH, a college kid smoking a bit isn't exactly something I care about.

Comment

• Seriously. What do you have to do to kicked out of the SEC?? Janoris Jenkins would have been on the team if Urbie was the coach. Maybe Urbie will pick up the badger.
                                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                                X