The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Oh and today's Big12/SEC news makes it a little more likely that some teams may be looking for a way out of the ACC.
    Good. Then ND will have to move
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      LOL. I think you mean the ONLY champ since 1948. I love this board.

I'd also like to take this time to applaud Coach Hoke. I mean, what he's doing with M when 119 other programs are rampantly cheating is just amazing. To paraphrase the legendary and legendarily non-bitter Phil Helmuth, if cheating weren't involved, M would win every national title.
      You could actually probably include most other national champs on the cheaters list going back to 1869.

Only Michigan remains true to Fielding Yost's noble vision of the true student-athlete. I say this even though Mr. Yost was an ardent advocate for the use of ringers.

Comment

• Didn't notice it above but I find it interesting the Big XII and SEC are partnering for their bowl game, it gives them basically what the B10 and Pac 12 have except without all the tradition. That bowl game (likely Sugar) likely finally pays out what the Rose does and imo the Big XII distances itself in the pecking order of conference from the ACC; it's a clear #3/#4.

ACC's media deal deserves a lot of criticism, it's not even near the level the B10 is already receiving...

Comparing the Big XII and ACC, I don't see why the Big XII would be so much more valuable. After the top 2 in the Big XII, the other programs provide very little of value. I'd much prefer the Big XII implode and see the likes of Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, WV attempt to live without living off Texas and Oklahoma.

Comment

• I could see Jerryworld bidding for the Big12/SEC games in a totally new bowl.

Comment

• it gives them basically what the B10 and Pac 12 have except without all the tradition.
            Well there is that tradition of 10 of the 13 last MNC being from these two conferences.

BTW, the "tradition of the rose bowl" has diminished considerably since

1. It stopped being a pure Big 10 - Pac 10 show
            2. The emergence of the SEC as the power conference
            3. If the number one from either conference was in a game for the MNC and the Rose got the bridesmaid from that conference.
            Last edited by Tony G; May 19, 2012, 09:07 AM.
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
              Well there is that tradition of 10 of the 13 last MNC being from these two conferences.
              Yeah but haven't you heard? They CHEATED. Hollow victories, one and all

Comment

• tell that to the CoPO.

(Court of Public Opinion)
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• On another expansion/realignment note:

Colonial hoops taking a big hit this week

Comment

• Yeah but haven't you heard? They CHEATED. Hollow victories, one and all
                    Well great! At least the B1G apologists will have the satisfaction of knowing theirs is the allegedly cleaner conference. Before long maybe they can combine with the Ivy League schools and play in the "Holier Than Thou" Bowl Game. Look, I'm not trying to be a troll here. I am trying to point out that the rest of the nation doesn't seem to care about the B1G or even Michigan's squeaky clean reputation. Penn State had a reputation cleaner than Michigan's and it disappeared in a flash.

Just my opinion here but the Ed Martin saga busted Michigan's purity virginity. Its time spent with RR put a few rub burns on their knees also. It can take all the abstinence pledges it wants but it's viewed as just another big sports school now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                      Well great! At least the B1G apologists will have the satisfaction of knowing theirs is the allegedly cleaner conference. Before long maybe they can combine with the Ivy League schools and play in the "Holier Than Thou" Bowl Game. Look, I'm not trying to be a troll here. I am trying to point out that the rest of the nation doesn't seem to care about the B1G or even Michigan's squeaky clean reputation. Penn State had a reputation cleaner than Michigan's and it disappeared in a flash.

Just my opinion here but the Ed Martin saga busted Michigan's purity virginity. Its time spent with RR put a few rub burns on their knees also. It can take all the abstinence pledges it wants but it's viewed as just another big sports school now.
                      This is fundamentally an accurate statment, Tony. You're right. No one, outside of M fans view M football to be above the cheating fray. I enjoy CFB but I know little about other teams outside the B10 and a lot less even about those teams than I know about Michigan and the goings on there.

But there is one thing I know with certainty about CFB teams: osu cheats and has done so for at least a decade, maybe more, as a means of gaining a competitive advantage over its conference members. When it comes to comparing the purity of Michigan to osu, there is no comparison. White hats/black hats and all of that. I would be embarrassed to identify that program as one that I would root for given their history of cheating and bad behavior. MSU under Dantonio and his ohio roots is not far behind.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                        Delaney's position on this is that (1), you have to be in the top six AND (not or) (2), be a conference champ.

UCLA, the PAC10 Champ, un-ranked and at 6-6 in 2011, would not have been in the play-off.

I think this works.
                        Yeah, that's solid. Make winning the conference still worth something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          I could see Jerryworld bidding for the Big12/SEC games in a totally new bowl.
                          Do you really think the SEC will leave the Sugar and travel for a bowl game... Even to Texas? Doubt it. BIG 12 was desperate not to be left out. They have nothing past OU and Texas.
                          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• That would be unfair to the kids if the SEC had to travel.

Comment

• Do you really think the SEC will leave the Sugar and travel for a bowl game... Even to Texas? Doubt it.
                              That depend$ on how much ca$h i$ on the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                That would be unfair to the kids if the SEC had to travel.
                                Haha...truer words have never been spoken.

Comment

Working...
                                X