No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly, the major bowl sites are paying big money to host the present bowl games. You want to keep that money flowing in. I can't see a playoff scenario that doesn't use the bowls, unless you bid out the NT game.

Comment

• Sounds like the major conferences (Pac 12, ACC, B10) are mostly aligned against the SEC; most want some form of conference champions in the playoff while the SEC wants the top 4 ranked teams... Not sure of the Big XII's position while the Big East just got a new commish...

B10 meetings are today to decide on a proposal or two. Other conferences are likely doing the same. It should be real interesting to watch the next month or so till these conferences meet and discuss these proposals.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
        Its most certainly is NOT a zero sum game, Hannibal... Rutgers playing in the Big East vs Big East teams gets little ratings...

Rutgers when the play PSU, Ohio, M, Nebraska brings in tons of ratings, not just an increase from the team they are playing, but Rutgers fans want to watch the Scarlet Knights play the Buckeyes, Wolverines, Cornhuskers & Nittany Lions...

TV Ratings work the same way, M vs Indiana doesn't draw in the casual fan but put M vs ND and the game is suddenly a national event with everyone watching; even people without interest in either team...

-

No, right now I don't have any interest in the B10 adding Rutgers, Maryland, VT... B10 imo will only expand unless it involves ND or as I said above, the ACC implodes (FSU, Clemson leaves for SEC/Big XII).
        That's pretty much it. Adding a team like North Carolina or Virginia gets the BTN put on first tier cable in those states. And like I said, in less than 10 years, the state of North Carolina will have more tv sets than the state of Michigan. That's not a gain in any way for the conference? C'mon...

UNC doesn't want to go anywhere...the SEC and Big10 aren't going to successfully pursue them unless the ACC completely falls apart. And I guaran-damn-tee you the SEC would love to have them. Not good enough for us though, right?

Comment

• You want to keep that money flowing in.

I don't give a crap where it goes unless it's to my bank account, and I see no reason that any fan on a sports forum would either. I care that the sport is balanced and fair to all its participants, because that is the formula for healthy and sustainable sports competition. And, on a matter of principle, I'm a bit sick of seeing the sport run for the benefit of any one particular region solely because the people that come from there and run those programs know how to be shitheads. It's tiring.

Comment

• Quote:
            Originally Posted by entropy
            "Let's say Ohio State is hosting and it's January or December, and let's say it is 5 degrees," Smith said. "Is that right for the game? We're not pro. We need to figure out what's best for the game, and I think a fast surface, good weather is important for the game. It's important for the kids."

Whodean:
            Reality. You just can't fight Mother Nature.
            True reality. Gene Smith is as crooked as the rest of o-lie-o; while initially he uncharacteristically showed some foresight and intelligence by promoting the idea of first-round playoff games on campus sites, he reverted back to true form (like any and all buckeyes do in the end) and whored himself out to the highest bidder, in this case the bowl pooh-bahs. I wonder what he got---$$$$? free cars? free tattoos? All of the above, and more?

As for Hollis, well, reality probably hit him upside the head and he realized his sparties never had a chance to host, and no way he'd be able to stomach seeing such a game played instead in Ann Arbor, Madison, Columbus, Lincoln, or Happy Valley. for msu, reality sucks!
            Last edited by Rob F; May 16, 2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• No, I think whoDean is right -- Gene was simply doing what's best for the kids. They obviously can't handle playing in the weather of the state they live in.

Comment

• The Big10 was pretty much the only conference pushing for this. If others were, they weren't very vocal about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                  Who else wanted home games on campus? Anyone but the B10? This wasn't something he was going to win.
                  That is the word... The BIG was the only one who wanted this. Maybe the BIG is forcing other issues as a compromise?

I'd rather see the south play up north.
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• No kidding. But, we'll see what comes of it. Were I the SEC, I'd insist on top-4 rather than conference champs, and then give that up in return for permanent home-field advantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      That is the word... The BIG was the only one who wanted this. Maybe the BIG is forcing other issues as a compromise?

I'd rather see the south play up north.
                      Of course they were. All the other leagues have home bowl games.
                      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Don't you enjoy the Motor City Bowl?
                        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• CHICAGO -- How about a national championship game in Detroit? Or Minneapolis? What about Boston or New York?

With college football headed toward a playoff, Big Ten administrators this week came out in favor of staging those games in bowls, a step that would keep the conference's longstanding ties to the Rose Bowl.

But league officials said they could see the title game being played in cities other than the usual suspects in California, Florida and Louisiana, though they did not offer any specific suggestions.

History against the Big Ten?

Jim Delany wants only the four highest-ranked conference champions included in a four-team playoff. However, history suggests Delany's proposal could work against his conference, ESPN Stats & Info reveals. Blog

"I think the championship game in any scenario is going to be independently bid, not part of the bowl situation," commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday after wrapping up two days of meetings. "If you looked at the options that we brought back to our conferences -- one is inside the bowl, one is outside the bowl -- in either case, I think the information indicated that the championship game would be bid out."

A playoff, likely to include four teams, is expected as soon as the 2014 season, replacing the No.1 vs. No. 2 BCS championship matchup that has rotated among the Sugar, Orange, Fiesta and Rose Bowl sites.

Michigan athletic director David Brandon said the title game "is going to be huge" wherever it is played, but there are more immediate issues at hand, mainly determining the championship field. Options include taking the top four teams in a poll, the four highest-ranked conference champions or some combination of both, and none is a cure for the current controversies.

If anything, they could be magnified.

Picking the two teams for the national championship game is already complicated. Adding more spots to the mix probably won't make it easier.

"We have a system that's been pretty good at determining the No. 1- and No. 2-ranked teams," Brandon said. "If you go back in history, there's been a high correlation between the No. 1- and No. 2-ranked teams of one of them becoming the national champion. Our ability to know who truly deserves to be No. 3 and No. 4 and No. 5 and No. 6 is far less accurate."

Big Ten Blog

Big Ten ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg and Brian Bennett write about all things Big Ten in the conference blog.

• ESPN.com's WolverineNation
                          • Blog network: College Football Nation

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said part of the problem is transparency -- or a lack of -- with the current rankings system. He wants more clarity.

"I personally think there should be a committee, and it should be transparent so all the coaches and the public know the criteria, where the most weight is put and why decisions are made," Alvarez said. "And someone stands up much like the basketball committee and tells the public why. Tell coaches why, so coaches know going in what the criteria are, what is going to be weighted, if it influences your scheduling. Is it margin of victory? Does that weigh in? Strength of schedule -- does that weigh in? Home or away?"

Brandon said he is "very concerned" about the possibility of teams playing up to 15 games in a season -- 12 on the schedule, plus the Big Ten championship, a bowl and the national title game, for example. But he said he is fine with the four-team format. If that sounds like an about-face for someone who had come out against a playoff system, well, he doesn't quite see it that way.

"I don't view this four-team concept that's currently being discussed as a true playoff," he said. "That's where maybe my past comments have been confused. When I think playoff, I think eight teams, 16 teams, something that takes a large number of teams, where you truly try to identify who is the ultimate champion."

He added: "I think it's the only practical model now in terms of balancing all the various interests, including length of season, numbers of games played."

Alvarez said there has been "a lot of discussion" about condensing the bowl schedule from Christmas to New Year's Day as much as possible, with schools out of session and more people in general taking vacations. He also said he thinks the playoff games would be played during that window, followed by the title game.

Delany thinks the bowl schedule could be condensed if a rule requiring teams to go at least 7-5 to be eligible is passed.

"I don't know what the effect will be if 7-5 gets passed," he said. "Maybe it'll be easier to do. There will be fewer bowl-eligible teams and as a result, fewer bowls."

Notes
                          Delany insisted the Big Ten is not looking to expand again, although he did acknowledge that "the plates underneath conference alignment are still hot (around the country)." ... The commissioner said details are still being worked out on a Big Ten-Pac 12 scheduling partnership. ... The Big Ten is looking into an affiliation with the Pinstripe Bowl. "I think New York City is the financial, sports capital of the world," Delany said. "It's a global city, like Chicago. We'll have conversations with them."

Comment

• CHICAGO -- How about a national championship game in Detroit? Or Minneapolis? What about Boston or New York?

With college football headed toward a playoff, Big Ten administrators this week came out in favor of staging those games in bowls, a step that would keep the conference's longstanding ties to the Rose Bowl.

But league officials said they could see the title game being played in cities other than the usual suspects in California, Florida and Louisiana, though they did not offer any specific suggestions.

History against the Big Ten?

Jim Delany wants only the four highest-ranked conference champions included in a four-team playoff. However, history suggests Delany's proposal could work against his conference, ESPN Stats & Info reveals. Blog

"I think the championship game in any scenario is going to be independently bid, not part of the bowl situation," commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday after wrapping up two days of meetings. "If you looked at the options that we brought back to our conferences -- one is inside the bowl, one is outside the bowl -- in either case, I think the information indicated that the championship game would be bid out."

A playoff, likely to include four teams, is expected as soon as the 2014 season, replacing the No.1 vs. No. 2 BCS championship matchup that has rotated among the Sugar, Orange, Fiesta and Rose Bowl sites.

Michigan athletic director David Brandon said the title game "is going to be huge" wherever it is played, but there are more immediate issues at hand, mainly determining the championship field. Options include taking the top four teams in a poll, the four highest-ranked conference champions or some combination of both, and none is a cure for the current controversies.

If anything, they could be magnified.

Picking the two teams for the national championship game is already complicated. Adding more spots to the mix probably won't make it easier.

"We have a system that's been pretty good at determining the No. 1- and No. 2-ranked teams," Brandon said. "If you go back in history, there's been a high correlation between the No. 1- and No. 2-ranked teams of one of them becoming the national champion. Our ability to know who truly deserves to be No. 3 and No. 4 and No. 5 and No. 6 is far less accurate."

Big Ten Blog

Big Ten ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg and Brian Bennett write about all things Big Ten in the conference blog.

? ESPN.com's WolverineNation
                            ? Blog network: College Football Nation

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said part of the problem is transparency -- or a lack of -- with the current rankings system. He wants more clarity.

"I personally think there should be a committee, and it should be transparent so all the coaches and the public know the criteria, where the most weight is put and why decisions are made," Alvarez said. "And someone stands up much like the basketball committee and tells the public why. Tell coaches why, so coaches know going in what the criteria are, what is going to be weighted, if it influences your scheduling. Is it margin of victory? Does that weigh in? Strength of schedule -- does that weigh in? Home or away?"

Brandon said he is "very concerned" about the possibility of teams playing up to 15 games in a season -- 12 on the schedule, plus the Big Ten championship, a bowl and the national title game, for example. But he said he is fine with the four-team format. If that sounds like an about-face for someone who had come out against a playoff system, well, he doesn't quite see it that way.

"I don't view this four-team concept that's currently being discussed as a true playoff," he said. "That's where maybe my past comments have been confused. When I think playoff, I think eight teams, 16 teams, something that takes a large number of teams, where you truly try to identify who is the ultimate champion."

He added: "I think it's the only practical model now in terms of balancing all the various interests, including length of season, numbers of games played."

Alvarez said there has been "a lot of discussion" about condensing the bowl schedule from Christmas to New Year's Day as much as possible, with schools out of session and more people in general taking vacations. He also said he thinks the playoff games would be played during that window, followed by the title game.

Delany thinks the bowl schedule could be condensed if a rule requiring teams to go at least 7-5 to be eligible is passed.

"I don't know what the effect will be if 7-5 gets passed," he said. "Maybe it'll be easier to do. There will be fewer bowl-eligible teams and as a result, fewer bowls."

Notes
                            Delany insisted the Big Ten is not looking to expand again, although he did acknowledge that "the plates underneath conference alignment are still hot (around the country)." ... The commissioner said details are still being worked out on a Big Ten-Pac 12 scheduling partnership. ... The Big Ten is looking into an affiliation with the Pinstripe Bowl. "I think New York City is the financial, sports capital of the world," Delany said. "It's a global city, like Chicago. We'll have conversations with them."

Comment

• LOL @ Brandon's bad spin. He's definitely lacking in the bullshit arts.

Comment

• I still think its silly to even try to crown a "champion". There's just too many teams and not enough games.
                                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                                X