No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On another expansion note, looks like Idaho is considering dropping down to FCS and rejoin the Big Sky. Mountain West doesn't want them and the WAC is doomed

Comment

• Makes sense for Idaho to do that.
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Kibbie Dome is disgraceful.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Kibbie Dome is disgraceful.
          see? we can agree on some things around here, Talent!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            I can just picture being in those negotiations and Seton Hall telling West Virginia that they contribute more to the conference than the Mountaineers do and deserve an equal if not greater share of all tv revenue
            That would take some imagination, since West Virginny is now in the Big 12. :-)

Maybe you are just having trouble wrapping your head around the notion, given its absurdity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
              That would take some imagination, since West Virginny is now in the Big 12. :-)

Maybe you are just having trouble wrapping your head around the notion, given its absurdity.
              Well, the tv negotiations in question took place before West Virginia had left.

Comment

• ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, who has floated ideas for how a four-team college football playoff should be set up, said Wednesday that any new format shouldn't include a team that doesn't win its division.

"I don't have a lot of regard for that team," Delany said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I certainly wouldn't have as much regard for that team as I would for someone who played nine conference games in a tough conference and played a couple out-of-conference games on the road against really good opponents. If a poll doesn't honor those teams and they're conference champions, I do."

Some people think it should just be the top four teams; some people think it should just be the four highest-rated champions. I was just floating some ideas of how you might have a hybrid where champions were respected and there was still room for at-large.
                ” -- Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany

Alabama finished behind LSU in the SEC West last season, but the Crimson Tide got a spot in the Bowl Championship Series title game and beat the Tigers.

Delany insisted he isn't pushing for a particular format to be implemented for the 2014 season. He said a proposal that would put four conference champions, ranked among the top six, into the four-team playoff was simply an idea he discussed with reporters last week in Chicago.

"Some people think it should just be the top four teams; some people think it should just be the four highest rated champions," Delany said. "I was just floating some ideas of how you might have a hybrid where champions were respected and there was still room for at-large.

"The polls don't always measure strength of schedule. Some conferences are playing nine games, some are playing eight. The Pac 12 is playing nine and then to go out and play a round-robin game against us, that's 10 and some of them are going to play Notre Dame -- that's 11 difficult games. If they're ranked fifth in the country and they won a conference championship, I think that's quite an accomplishment. Some teams don't even win their own division. They started off highly in the rankings, lose early, don't play a championship game and they might end up at four."

BCS executive director Bill Hancock has said 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director will present a "small number" of options -- two to seven configurations -- for a four-team playoff to their leagues at conference meetings.

The group of decision-makers will gather again in June, attempting to agree on a final version for university presidents to potentially approve by July 4.

Comment

• I'll say it again...

I HATE that ND has a seat of this size as the "voting table". Laughable and disappointing at the same time. Totally undeserved IMO.

Comment

• New fsu mascot

Comment

• Florida State president Dr. Eric Barron has written a memo obtained by ESPN that includes four key points that would support a move from the ACC to the Big 12 and seven longer key points that argue against it.

The memo seems to be an argument by Barron, who has stated the school is "committed" to the ACC, to stay in the conference.

Memo To Address Conference Affiliation

Florida State Florida State president Dr. Eric Barron has written a statement that argues four key points in support of a move from the ACC to the Big 12 and seven longer key points against it. Statement

In the memo, Barron includes reasons for moving that include "The ACC is too North Carolina centric" and "The Big 12 contract (which actually isn't signed yet) is rumored to be 2.9 M more per year than the ACC contract."

In the memo, Barron includes more reasons for not moving that include "The ACC is an equal share conference.

"So when fans realize that Texas would get more dollars than FSU, always having a competitive advantage, it would be interesting to see the fan reaction."

Another reason Barron outlined is that Florida State "would lose the rivalry with University of Miami that does fill our stadium."

Barron further reasoned, "It will cost between $20M and $25M to leave the ACC and we have no idea where that money would come from."

Barron also noted that "The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker."

Barron writes, "We can't afford to have conference affiliation governed by emotion."

Comment

• I think it's a huge stretch but if FSU and Clemson actually do leave, we may want to at least approach some of the better ACC schools like UNC and UVA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          I think it's a huge stretch but if FSU and Clemson actually do leave, we may want to at least approach some of the better ACC schools like UNC and UVA.
                          Why? Is there an advantage to expanding beyond 12 teams? I really see no need for further expansion, not now, now in the future. We already have scheduling problems in both football (not playing 3 other B1G teams each fall) and basketball (not playing each team home-and-home---playing 4 conference teams just once and the other 7 teams twice). Adding more teams makes matters worse, why further dillute the conference in search of the almighty $$$??!

Comment

• Adding UNC and UVA would make the conference better in basketball but neither school brings teams from other sports that would enhance the B1G. Carolina puts up a decent football team about 1-2 times a decade, and Virginia is about the same.
                            Save Michigan Football. Fire Warde Manuel.

Comment

• I'll be OK with adding them as long as we can boot 2 teams.

How 'bout we each nominate a team to boot out of the B1G to make room, Liney? I'll go first, lets dump Spartie.

your turn...

Comment

• It would increase the Big10's footprint into two populous states and the two schools might be more receptive to Big10 overtures than SEC ones despite being "southern". But if you guys are concerned you won't get to play Indiana in football enough, sure, it's a problem. You're the type of Big10 fans that fought hard as hell to keep Penn State out and screamed that college football was ruined forever the day a non-Big10 team stepped into the Rose Bowl.

Comment

Working...
                                X