No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say what you want about the MAC, I'll give them one thing: they are willing to put a College Football game on my TV screen every chance they get. No it isn't up to par with the big boys but most of the time it's entertaining. I mean thanks to the MAC I am no longer forced to watch football between Thursday and Monday Night only, I get 5 6 or sometimes 7 nights of football games per week. I think the MAC is actually doing it right as far as small conferences go. And if they dropped to FCS that might cost me 2 or 3 football games a week! I won't have it! LOL... well I see what you guys mean, I just watch a shit load of football even games that most others don't watch. My wife absolutely loves this......
    Last edited by hardtimesjake97; December 16, 2011, 05:40 PM.
    Go Slippery Rock!

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
      It's just another excuse for a failure

Or an explanation for the success of this year. No doubt in large part due to Mattison, who gets paid roughly triple RR's coordinators. You're not really denying that, are you?
      Michigan survived for decades paying their coordinators the same amount Rodriguez's coordinators were making, and Rodriguez wasn't exactly getting a bad salary himself. The idea that he needed millions more to not be a total disaster just underlines what a disaster he was. Not having billion dollar coordinators might have been an excuse for going 8-4 every year instead of 10-2. It isn't an excuse to have a defense that couldn't even stop Div 1-AA teams. Hell, Rodriguez could have kept Ron English at the same salary he was making in 2007 and he would have been far better off.

Mattison wasn't going to coach under Rodriguez no matter what the salary was. The money being paid to Mattison now is to undo all the damage Rodriguez did.

Comment

• "Mattison wasn't going to coach under Rodriguez no matter what the salary was. The money being paid to Mattison now is to undo all the damage Rodriguez did."

Mattison wasn't going to coach for anyone at the college level except Hoke. UM is able to pay Mattison the money he gets because they got Hoke at a discount. Brandon the idiot publicly said before he went on his "coach search" that he understood he would have to pay "market value" to secure a top coach for Michigan. He clearly was talking about Harbaugh or someone of his level. He got Hoke at a bargain. As a result he had money in the bank to hire Mattison. Mattison is a great coach but don't ever forget he's in it for himself. (Not that that's a bad thing) He left UM after 96 to go to ND because his daughter was going to ND and he would get free tuition for her if he was on staff. Can't blame him as he was probably making around 35 grand as an 'assistant coach" at UM in 96. Now he's making 900 grand and worth every penny. At least Brandon the buffoon recognizes when he needs to "change the formula" so he can stop putting a shit tasting product on the market.

Comment

• When Michigan tallies RR's buyout at UWV (4M) Michigan paid half, plus the 2 million in legal fees that Michigan spend to defend RR & the program against the "exceeding practice time by 20 minutes" crap, plus 3 years of RR's salary, plus severance package when fired....

In addition to being the the worst coach in 132 years, he has proven to be the most expensive as well. Martin is a fiscal genius you say?
          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Craig James is taking a "leave of absence" from ESPN in order to run for the US Senate.

Really.

Comment

• I dislike Craig James more than I dislike Jimmy (my ass sure hurts) Tressel. It will be a short Sabbatical.
              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Can someone refresh us on Craig James' uncalled for interference with the (?) Texas Tech coaching staff to get his son more playing time than was warranted? When I read that I concluded he must be a first class jerk trying to use his celebrity for unfair advantage. And that was certainly no favor to his son. I'm a little vague on the details.

Comment

• If the people of the state of Texas actually elect Craig James to the U.S. Senate, the United States should sell Texas back to Mexico. Whatever price the United States would get would be a double windfall-- we'd be that much richer, and we'd be rid of Craig James' malign influence on our government.

Comment

• If Craig makes it to the Senate, then I'm sure we'll be paying Mexico to take Texas.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• If the people of the state of Texas actually elect Craig James to the U.S. Senate,
                      I know Jason doesn't live in Michigan, but those of us who do have no right to point a finger at Texas, when we continue to send Debbie Stabenow to the US Senate....
                      Save Michigan Football. Fire Warde Manuel.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRB View Post
                        If the people of the state of Texas actually elect Craig James to the U.S. Senate, the United States should sell Texas back to Mexico. Whatever price the United States would get would be a double windfall-- we'd be that much richer, and we'd be rid of Craig James' malign influence on our government.
                        You're talking about a state where the governor openly talks of seceding from the union. Texas is all about electing lunatics and crazy people. Craig James, while I personally don't like him, seems somewhat sane and rational compared to the absolute nutjobs Texas has currently elected.

I mean, in Texas, saying that you want to shoot anyone who disagrees with you gives you a bump in the polls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                          Schools that have had profitable football programs should no longer have to fund failing programs.
                          On some level, that is pretty much what's happening now in a quasi-free market fashion. It started in 1995, when Texas pink-slipped most of the dead weight of the SWC in its move to the Big 12. They then tried again in 2010, in their attempt to essentially kick the Big 12 North out of their boat. We've seen all kinds of movement in this vein since, particularlly with the better of the non-AQ schools trying to get a seat at the table, and the Big 12, BE and MWC sturuggling to remain viable.

This decade will been seen, IMO, as a decade of fat-trimming as the old geographical alignments dissolve in the face of the dollar. Like it or not, it is what it is.

The long-term question, IMO, is what happens when the "Haves" finish the culling process and we wind up with NFL Lite. You slap together the top 70 or so programs and install a playoff, these 14-0 seasons are likely history. We'll regularly see 2-loss national champs, and even among that select group there will be "losers"; programs that rarely, if ever, get a sniff of the brass ring. Especially in an NCCA-free environment which likely be a near free-for-all when it comes to the influence of money on recruiting. The parameters will change, but as you raise the bar Michigan State can become what Weastern Michigan is today, just to use an example.

Comment

• A. You're right.

B. That's an ugly future.

Comment

• C. My typing is Minnesota-football-bad.

Comment

• You could take a remedial course at Weastern and fix that.

Comment

Working...
                                X