The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
    I'm sure not all of those three will lose another game, but even if so, I'd still vote in one of those instead of Bama. LSU should NOT have to beat the same team twice.

How long are you going to beat this horse?
    What if OK State, Stanford, and VA Tech all lose and Arkansas beats LSU? Who should be in the title game?

Beat what horse? Some of you are insisting an undeserving team should be put in the title game simply to avoid a rematch.

It's not ideal, but sometimes things work out this way.

Comment

• WM-

The point isn't that Bama isn't the #2 team in the nation (I believe that they are as well), but if M is going to get f'ed solely because the sentiment among everyone is that there should be no rematch (even if the majority of voters felt M was #2), then Bama should not be afforded the opportunity this year.

Do you feel Florida was better than M in '06 (BEFORE the bowl games were played)?
      Last edited by Paul L; November 20, 2011, 09:54 PM.
      Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• I was all for M getting their rematch back then, but the argument was killed by the Bowl results.

The two best teams play for the championship, this year the two best teams, by a mile, are LSU and Alabama.
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          What if OK State, Stanford, and VA Tech all lose and Arkansas beats LSU? Who should be in the title game?

Beat what horse? Some of you are insisting an undeserving team should be put in the title game simply to avoid a rematch.

It's not ideal, but sometimes things work out this way.
          Won't happen, but in that scenario it has to be Arkansas and Slippery Rock.
          Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• I swore I wouldn't comment on this because the premise upon which this argument is based is so wrong (computers/polls can't actually provide a clear cut #1, #2. That would take a play-in or tournament) ........ but

You can't argue that position, Paul. The BCS rules have no such provision. It is what it is. If LSU and UA are #1 and #2, they play in the NCG.

Given that the Div 1 schools (the FCS I guess is the current term) have deferred the decision to decide who is #1 and #2 to the BCS and that those two schools will play in the NCG, that's the way it has to be ...... until the rules are changed. That's coming. And I doubt very seriously that whatever the nit wits in charge come up with will be better than what we have now as bad as that system is.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
              I swore I wouldn't comment on this because the premise upon which this argument is based is so wrong (computers/polls can't actually provide a clear cut #1, #2. That would take a play-in or tournament) ........ but

You can't argue that position, Paul. The BCS rules have no such provision. It is what it is. If LSU and UA are #1 and #2, they play in the NCG.

Given that the Div 1 schools (the FCS I guess is the current term) have deferred the decision to decide who is #1 and #2 to the BCS and that those two schools will play in the NCG, that's the way it has to be ...... until the rules are changed. That's coming. And I doubt very seriously that whatever the nit wits in charge come up with will be better than what we have now as bad as that system is.
              Oh, I know that's what (unfortunately) is going to happen. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. It's hypocritical and wrong; you know, much like Tressel and the entire PSU lot.

Comment

• There is absolutely NO reason for a rematch. A rematch would be utter bullshit. Alabama lost. AT FUCKING HOME. They had their shot. They blew it. Too bad, so sad, sit your ass down.

If I were a coach voting, after seeing the SEC coaches manipulate the vote in 2006, I would leave Alabama completely off my ballot before letting them get a rematch. They had their shot. They lost. Fuck the SEC and all of their hypocritical bullshit. And fuck Gary Danielson who will no doubt be leading the rematch charge this time around, since he's got the SEC's nutsack buried in his throat.
                Last edited by Jamie H; November 20, 2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• But Jamie .. I really wish you'd learn to take a firm stance on this matter for once ....
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I hate the idea of seeing a rematch, but the problem this year is that if Okie State loses to Oklahoma, the field is going to be horribly devoid of an alternate candidate.

Comment

• Would it not be a wise strategy for OSU to take a voluntary bowl ban for this year? Preemptively give up something to the NCAA to get more clarity for next year. What do you lose, a invite to the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl? Who cares....

Comment

• Where it gets cloudy is IF LSU beats Arkansas and then Georgia in the SEC title game, Then has to play a re match against Alabama, which Alabama wins, LSU will still have the same amount of wins as Alabama. Furthermore, with a home victory over the Crimson Tide. Losing that game might have been the single best thing that Alabama could have done for it's own title hopes.Because LSU has 2 losable games on the plate. Bama has one against not as good but in state rival Auburn. I know people from Alabama and they seem to be sweatin' blood about having to go to Auburn on Saturday. That is a hateful, hateful rivalry and played on foreign soil. The year after some whack job Alabama fan poisoned Toomer's oaks.

AND suppose UGA wins againstLSU or Arkansas or Alabama, because that race is not decided and I don't know who has all the tie breakers. UGA just beat the best team in the country, I'd say that they would have a legitimate beef to get into not only the Sugar Bowl, but the National title game, even at 2 losses.
                        Go Slippery Rock!

Comment

• Whatever causes the most chaos ... is what I'm in favor of.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Nobody that I listen to or read is happy about the likely NCG match-up and how it will come about.

I simply do not understand how the BCS system survives ..... well, yes I do. Money. It talks, bullshit walks.

The fundamental problem is the sham that is the NCAA. Fix that, get a new structure, and a lot of bad things will go away and sensible things like a play-in using the existing bowl structure will happen.

The college presidents and conference leadership (the one's that have integrity and don't have their hands in the pockets of anyone who has a vested financial interest in and supports the current process) have to stand up. The environment for that is right but I still don't think anything will happen.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I would rather see any one loss team in the country, or even an undefeated Houston team, play than give Alabama a rematch. I'd even rather see Boise in the game. Boise beat SEC East champion Georgia by 2 TD's in Athens, so it isn't like they have played NOBODY, even though the rest of their schedule is super weak.

Right now, I would think a 1-loss Stanford team, who only lost to Oregon, would be a far better entrant in the title game than a 2nd SEC West team. Of course, Stanford isn't going to win their conference, and I've always believed that anyone that doesn't win it's conference should be ineligible for the title game.

Comment

• Rich Rodriguez to Arizona?

Arizona has hired former West Virginia and Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez as its next football coach, as athletic director Greg Byrne made the news official with a photo posted on Twitter.

This would be about the best opportunity out there that Rich Rodriguez could potentially land. It's not an ideal fit in certain respects-- he's going to be a good distance from his best recruiting contacts-- but with the scholarship limitations at USC about to start kicking in and the mediocrity in the rest of the Pac-12 south, Rodriguez could improve that program quickly if he's willing to learn from his mistakes at Michigan.

Comment

Working...
                                X