No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm perfectly happy with the Big Ten at 12. If other conferences want to go bigger, go ahead and let them.

Comment

• I think that piece I posted was the most succinct and well founded ones I've seen on this very complex issue. Sports talk radio, TV and the major sports outlet web sites are all over the place with supposed experts running their yaps without a full understanding of what is involved.

I think it boils down to whether or not OU goes to the PAC12. That is a critical dominoe that has to fall for any more movement to occur. We'll know mid-week. If they do, then two outcomes spring from that. Either the BE and the B12 collapse or they merge. Either way, ND has to choose (stay with the merged B12/BE or sign with the B1G) and the most likely choice is going to be the B1G. I think it is correct to assume that the BCS is NOT going to give ND a clause which gives them a seat at the BCS table if they try to stay independent.

If the BIG gets ND and the B12 collapses, Texas goes to the B1G. I can see them flirting with the PAC12 and that could happen with some back room brokering on which of the lesser B12 programs go where.

Something that has not been brought up is the question: does the NCAA survive as we know it if a major conference realignment that produces 16 team conferences happens. I would say it will only if Emmert is able to come up with a sensible rule book/enforcement apparatus AND their deal to continue as the sponsor of the NCAA Basketball tournament survives contract negotiations that are coming up. Frankly, the NCAA B-Ball tournamaent is the only thing giving them the life line in terms of dollars they need to urvive. If that blows up, and I can see every reason the confrerence want back in control of it, the NCAA is dead. A new entitity will emerge.

I like where the B1G and Delaney are sitting. I think it is ND and Texas as the move to 14 or nothing and I think Delaney will have a say in what goes down if OU goes to the Pac12. The 15th and 16th programs for the B1G are a side show at this point. Rutgers would be 15 and Maryland 16 if it comes to that I would think.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Heard rumors that West Virginia was rejected by both the SEC and ACC. There was a story last night that the BE and Big12 remnants may merge

Comment

• I think that Tejas will ultimately end up in the PAC-12. It makes the most sense from a football standpoint, and I would think that the PAC-12 is the most likely conference to make concessions for the Longhorn Network.

Comment

• Clueless Big East commish says Syracuse and Pitt have to stay until 2014

The ACC has approved the additions of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, but that doesn't mean the Big East schools are coming to the conference soon.

Article about the possible BE-Big12 merger

Multiple Big 12 sources told ESPN.com that the Big 12 would be the home, not the Big East, in any possible merger of the two football conferences.

Comment

• Mountain West Conference commissioner Craig Thompson isn't sitting idle during the potential seismic shift in college athletics.

More...
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Multiple Big 12 sources told ESPN.com that the Big 12 would be the home, not the Big East, in any possible merger of the two football conferences.

More...

Comment

• Heard rumors that West Virginia was rejected by both the SEC and ACC.
                  Smart move by both conferences.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• According to a source close to Notre Dame, the Irish's first choice is to remain as an independent in football and stay in the Big East in all other sports.

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten.
                    Interesting
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• If the University of Oklahoma is to remain in the Big 12, it will do so only if the conference adds regulations on the Longhorn Network and removes commissioner Dan Beebe, according to a report in The Oklahoman Tuesday.

If the University of Oklahoma is to remain in the Big 12, it will do so only if the conference adds regulations on the Longhorn Network and removes commissioner Dan Beebe, according to a report in The Oklahoman Tuesday.

Comment

• Repeating myself but the Big Ten will be last to act this time around, they are waiting on Notre Dame and Notre Dame is waiting till they are forced to join a conference. That won't happen till there are four 'super' conference who agree to a bowl system (possibly playoff) that doesn't give ND special consideration... Team #14 will be 'who is available' rather than the best option available if they wait to act rather than add #13 now (I slightly prefer Missouri now and waiting on #14)...

OU/OSU -> Pac 12 is pretty much certain, just a question of when. Still up in the air whether Texas joins, I think they are holding up on the 'best' offer; Texas Tech likely follows Texas to Pac 12...

Pitt/Syracuse -> ACC is nearly official... They might stay at 14 forever or they might add Connecticut & Rutgers in the near future, we'll have to wait to see how the dominoes fall before this one happens; they 'could' add the Kansas schools but the ACC's preference is for 'eastern' schools in the eastern time zone... WVU looks to be the odd man out from the 'original' Big East...

Texas A&M & Missouri -> SEC looks likely... A&M is a lock, Missouri will jump at the chance to join the SEC even though they prefer the B10, they are SEC's preference for #14... SEC will stay at 14, no interest in WV...

'Scraps' from Big East and Big XII likely form a new conference, it won't be pretty but it'll have WV, Connecticut, Rutgers, Kansas, KSU, Cincy, Louisville, Iowa State, Baylor, Southern Florida and it feels like I'm missing someone. TCU!
                        Last edited by WM Wolverine; September 20, 2011, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• The football BE schools are holding an emergency meeting tonight. Perhaps significant is that the UConn President will not be there

Leaders of the football-playing members of the surviving Big East schools will meet Tuesday night in New York City to discuss the state of the conference, ESPN.com has learned.

Comment

• I still think the scraps for the big12 should join the MW, add byu, keep tcu, add Houston and grab memphis. That is better than the BE now

Comment

• Scraps from the MWC don't look very attractive after BYU, TCU & Utah left...

Comment

• Iowa State
                                Kansas
                                Kansas State
                                Louisville
                                Cincinnati
                                West Virginia

Houston
                                Baylor
                                TCU
                                Tulsa
                                Air Force