The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said, CGVT but unfortunately what makes the bowl's a reality is money. And most of the money comes from the networks, via advertising. Teams don't appear in bowl games for nothing. There has to be a payout to each team, and the bowl committee itself needs to make some money. I do like watching some of the lesser bowls during the holiday season. There are some mildly entertaining games. I don't want to see them go away completely, but I think that may happen due to the expanded playoffs.
    I just don't see how expanding the playoff will have any implication on the bowls that are not part of the playoff. The bowls they are using for the playoff may draw more than they have in the past, but again, I don't see the Fiesta Bowl being a quarter final of the playoff impacting the Poulin Weed Eater Bowl (is that still a bowl?) The small, non-playoff bowls will not be any different than they have been. There will still be an audience for the games and money to be made for the networks that broadcast them as well as payouts for the participating teams. The economic impact to the host cities is pretty substantial. Having a playoff isn't going to change that.

BTW, when we had this discussion a few years ago, I looked up the economic impact of the bowl in Mobile. It was surprisingly high, a couple of million in sales tax revenue alone.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I don’t disagree that it’s good for the local economies or the student athletes. It’s just not enjoyable for me and much of the consumer base to watch. These less important bowl games comparable to USFL, XFL, Canadian Football IMHO. To each their own. Agree to disagree. I’m not someone that enjoys ANY kind of football because it’s on TV.

Riley Leonard to Notre Dame.
      Good for Leonard. Bad because it was obvious tampering (CHEATING). A sport wide problem that the NCAA ignores. Nothing to see here! Only Michigan cheats!

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
        I don’t disagree that it’s good for the local economies or the student athletes. It’s just not enjoyable for me and much of the consumer base to watch. These less important bowl games comparable to USFL, XFL, Canadian Football IMHO. To each their own. Agree to disagree. I’m not someone that enjoys ANY kind of football because it’s on TV.

Riley Leonard to Notre Dame.
        Good for Leonard. Bad because it was obvious tampering (CHEATING). A sport wide problem that the NCAA ignores. Nothing to see here! Only Michigan cheats!

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA
        Good for Riley. As I have said before, he is a hell of a kid. It is good to see him have success. But, man. Notre Dame?

Fuck, Riley. You are making rooting for you pretty damn difficult.

BTW, Cody. You are not their target audience. If some Codys watch the lesser bowls that is a bonus, but the target audience are the alum and the curious from other team's fans inside those conferences as well a people like AA that can't get enough college football.

Let me put it this way. How many games did you watch on ESPN+ this year?

Probably none.

My wife and all of her friends/classmates watch App State every week on ESPN+ and are excited for the bowl game. That is the target audience for these bowls.

You won't be attending or tuning into the Cure Bowl, but about 15 to 20 thousand, maybe more, Red Hawks and Mountaineer fans will be going to Orlando to see their teams play and more will tune into the broadcast.

The minor bowls are not the big draw, cash cow that the big boys play in, but there is a place for them.

I'll quit beating the dead horse now. Ha!

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Well the one thing the bowls have against them is so many of the stars of the Non BCS bowls --pro prospects are bailing on the bowls

That might change drastically if the Marvin Harrisons and thos of lesser talents figure out staying under the NIL new money maybe enought to get some of these guys to stay around for bowls over bolting immediately to NFL

Comment

• Welp. Dante Moore STILL went to Oregon even after Gabriels transferred in. He plans to sit a year then start in 2025. Must be nice!

Comment

• I’m somehow 7-1 in bowl picks. 99.9% on ESPN’s confidence pool bowl mania thing. That actually might pique my interest in watching these bowl games if that continues… So upset about incorrectly switching my Ohio vs Georgia Southern pick at the last minute. Should have known to NOT trust Clay Helton.

Go UTSA!
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• There have been some very fun minor bowls so far.

-Western Kentucky over ODU, 38-35 in OT.
                -App State nipping Miami by 4.
                -Jax State beating Louisiana, 34-31 in OT

Tonight we have Texas-San Antonio vs Marshall at 8pm Central.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• STFU
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                    I don’t disagree that it’s good for the local economies or the student athletes. It’s just not enjoyable for me and much of the consumer base to watch. These less important bowl games comparable to USFL, XFL, Canadian Football IMHO. To each their own. Agree to disagree. I’m not someone that enjoys ANY kind of football because it’s on TV.
                    If you figure you are going to watch a particular "not interesting" game, I find betting $ 20 on one team makes the games more interesting.

Comment

• Putting the max confidence points on UTSA tonight. Surely they win…

Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                      If you figure you are going to watch a particular "not interesting" game, I find betting $ 20 on one team makes the games more interesting.
                      Absolutely.

I think that’s why I used to love bowl games. Being in a bowl picks pool and having money on the line.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• been many a year where the 42 point pick crashes and burns

marshal winning tonight wouldnt surprise anyone

I think oregon was almos guarenteed and thought LSU had the best shots of winning their bowl games should have known LSUs qb would opt out

Comment

• My wife and I went to Orlando to the Cure Bowl Saturday. It was played in a damn monsoon. We dressed for it and had a great time. Attendance was posted at about about 11000 people. I had guessed that there were about 10,000 people there. I was pretty close.

The score didn't reflect it, but it was a pretty good football game, despite or maybe because of the conditions.

When we got to the game, it was about 70 degrees and raining like MFer. We had cheap seats in the corner of the endzone, but during the pregame, we went to the 50 yd line and stood by the rail. It was pretty obvious that there wasn't going to be much of a turn out, so I figured we could just move up a few rows and watch the game from the high $$ seats. When they kicked us off the rail just before the game started, we went up about 10 rows and grabbed some seats.

Prior to the game, I went up to grab a round of beers and the girl at the counter told me that the drinks, as well as a spread of food were included with the price of the ticket. I was confused. How the hell could they afford to give away free drinks and food when our tickets only cost 50 bucks?

Then it dawned on me. When we were looking to buy tickets I saw that they were selling packages of 4 prime tickets, a parking pass and free food and drinks for $450. We had plopped our asses down in that section. I looked over and they had closed off access to the area that we were sitting in and the ushers were checking tickets. I guess we got in before they figured it out.

So we ate and drank for free for the entire game. Ha!​

Comment

• Ha!

STFU

Comment

• CGVT, that’s one of the greatest football game stories I’ve ever heard. Congrats. And Im over here making fun of the little bowls!

Comment

• Cool story for sure.

​​​​​…

Watched some of Marshall vs UTSA and it was actually a decent game as someone with stake on UTSA. A lot of fighting between the players. Chad Pennington’s son vs Josh McCown’s son.

Next up is a highly unpredictable USF vs Syracuse game. Syracuse is the favorite, but their opt out list is insane. The Orange will apparently be on their 3rd string QB. Makes me want to lock in USF…
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X