No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, I remember back in the day when "Average Iowa QB" was music to the ears of the M faithful. How far they've come.

Notre Dame's shitass QB situation was the only thing giving me even the slightest of hope for Ohio State's 2023 South Bend trip. If they're modestly competent at QB then Ohio State is truly and properly fucked. But, I won't really start worrying about that disaster until the the impending disaster is over.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
      ND can’t even tamper correctly. What a bunch of losers.

Also: LOL @ “Star Wake Forest Quarterback”.
      Exactly.

We’re new to this transfer portal/ NIL era of college football. It seems like EVERYONE tampers. You just need to be smart about it. Such as that likely legit rumor about someone wanting Drake Maye to transfer portal for $5 million. Assume it was 2 of Texas A&M, Miami (FL), Georgia, or Alabama…​

Notre Dame being sloppy with this Sam Hartman situation.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Man, I remember back in the day when "Average Iowa QB" was music to the ears of the M faithful. How far they've come.]
        Yes. And its spread to other teams as well. Illinois started Michigan's 4th string QB for two years and thought he was great. Iowa is getting Michigan's 2nd string QB along with a starting TE, and they're already talking playoffs in Iowa City.

Ain't the portal great?
        Save Michigan Football. Fire Warde Manuel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

Exactly.

We’re new to this transfer portal/ NIL era of college football. It seems like EVERYONE tampers. You just need to be smart about it. Such as that likely legit rumor about someone wanting Drake Maye to transfer portal for $5 million. Assume it was 2 of Texas A&M, Miami (FL), Georgia, or Alabama…​

Notre Dame being sloppy with this Sam Hartman situation.

Alabama? lmao. First the Drake Maye story was horseshit according to Maye himself (see below). Second, what proof would you have about Alabama? If you have anything other than a wild assed guess about Alabama poaching or tampering let me know and I swear before all that is holy that I will report it.

“In an interview with ESPN on Thursday, Maye reflected on the past few weeks, which included a social media post declaring he was staying at UNC as a way to combat rumors of him entering the transfer portal. Pittsburgh coach Pat Narduzzi stoked the flames by saying this week that two schools offered Maye $5 million to transfer.​

"Those rumors weren't really reality," he told ESPN. He added: "Pitt's coach ended up putting that out there. I don't know what that was about. You have to enter the transfer portal to talk to these schools and hear these offers. For me, I think college football is going to turn into a mess. They're going to have to do something. There was nothing to me or my family directly offered from any of these other schools. Nothing was said or offered to the Mayes."

North Carolina QB Drake Maye tells ESPN that reports of his possible transfer and lucrative NIL offers "weren't really reality."
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• And if we were going to poach, it wouldn’t be QB (even if Maye hadn’t blown that rumor up). Alabama has a 5-star QB named Ty Simpson who has absolutely shredded the Alabama 1st team defense in scrimmages. Now, I know what you’re saying, it’s a Pete Gelding defense, and that’s a valid point. We also have two 4-Star players in this year’s class. The #9 nationally ranked QB (Eli Holstein) and the #11 nationally ranked QB (Dylan Lonergan), both 4-stars. We also have a 4-star that played some when Bryce was hurt (Jalen Milroe). We’re probably going to move him to slot, though. If we were going to tamper it would make more sense to go after a star WR. We need another game changer at that position. Alabama has been flush over the years with the Jeudy, DeVonta, Waddle, Ridley (etc, etc) going back to Julio Jones until 2022. That position was not stellar this year. So, if we can get some stud WR, I’ll start the tampering paperwork going.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
              Alabama? lmao. First the Drake Maye story was horseshit according to Maye himself (see below). Second, what proof would you have about Alabama? If you have anything other than a wild assed guess about Alabama poaching or tampering let me know and I swear before all that is holy that I will report it.

"Those rumors weren't really reality," he told ESPN. He added: "Pitt's coach ended up putting that out there. I don't know what that was about. You have to enter the transfer portal to talk to these schools and hear these offers. For me, I think college football is going to turn into a mess. They're going to have to do something. There was nothing to me or my family directly offered from any of these other schools. Nothing was said or offered to the Mayes."[/I]
              I think Maye’s quote there is tip toeing around the subject. Clever answer by him. Why doesn’t he directly deny it? Instead he says “weren’t really reality” and “nothing to me or my family directly offered.” Ok, that leaves open the possibility of conversations being indirectly approached to him.

Mack Brown’s comments can add to the speculation:

It’s not a big deal if Alabama, Georgia, etc were after Drake Maye. Don’t blame them! It sounds like Maye will be a top 2 NFL draft choice in 2024. Up there with Caleb Williams. Maye is possibly more talented than Bryce Young because of Maye’s body frame.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Maye said, it ‘wasn’t really reality and Nothing was said or offered to the Mayes."​ And here’s what his mom said:
                “There was obviously rumors," Aimee said. "All we heard was from like friends of ours 'oh I heard this on the internet’. It was never any concrete thing from any specific sources." (That is not poaching in any reasonable definition of the word. And if I have to believe Narduzzi or Drake and his mom, well, I’m siding with the Mayes.)

1) The above wouldn’t be tiptoeing. If something were offered, he and his mom and dad are lying.

2) Why would you say Alabama? A gut feeling? Because he was originally a Bama commit and NC flipped him?

3) I would take Bryce over Maye 100 out of 100 times.

4) Ty Simpson would have started at about 120 schools this year. Bryce is why he didn’t. Saban limited his game time this year so that 2022 could be a redshirt. QB is not a position I’m worried about at Alabama. WR on the other hand…point to a star WR who can be poached and I’m on it.

5). If we had brought in Maye for a year we would have absolutely lost Ty and probably Eli. Meh. Just not enough value added.
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; December 29, 2022, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Egbuka was asked about it and said he's be contacted by "other schools" but that he's "content" at Ohio State. JFC.

FWIW, since he's from Seattle, I'd be drop dead fucking shocked if one of the schools wasn't Oregon and pretty shocked if one wasn't USC.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yeah. We will have two former Bama players wearing Oregon neon green next year. Both almost immediately announced Oregon after hitting the portal. It’s almost funny.

Comment

• Good NIL deals are smartly used to keep players put as much as getting poached. Maye would be taking a risk to go somewhere else he isn't likely to improve his draft stock with a transfer.

Comment

• This all stems from Notre Dame allegedly being sloppy with Sam Hartman’s transfer news. Get with the times, Notre Dame!!

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        Maye said, it ‘wasn’t really reality and Nothing was said or offered to the Mayes."​ And here’s what his mom said:
                        “There was obviously rumors," Aimee said. "All we heard was from like friends of ours 'oh I heard this on the internet’. It was never any concrete thing from any specific sources." (That is not poaching in any reasonable definition of the word. And if I have to believe Narduzzi or Drake and his mom, well, I’m siding with the Mayes.)

1) The above wouldn’t be tiptoeing. If something were offered, he and his mom and dad are lying.

2) Why would you say Alabama? A gut feeling? Because he was originally a Bama commit and NC flipped him?

3) I would take Bryce over Maye 100 out of 100 times.

4) Ty Simpson would have started at about 120 schools this year. Bryce is why he didn’t. Saban limited his game time this year so that 2022 could be a redshirt. QB is not a position I’m worried about at Alabama. WR on the other hand…point to a star WR who can be poached and I’m on it.

5). If we had brought in Maye for a year we would have absolutely lost Ty and probably Eli. Meh. Just not enough value added.
                        Counterpoints!:

1) Does something actually have to be directly offered for it to be true? What if there were simply conversations. Specifically going through Maye’s agent channels at CAA Sports Agency. Again, speculation based on Pat Narduzzi’s comments. We don’t know the truth.

2) Alabama is a possibility. It doesn’t mean it was them. Could have been several different schools. Who else gets the top recruits? Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, Oregon, etc.
                        If Narduzzi is correct, we know it was 2 schools. Who exactly? Can’t say for sure. It wasn’t Purdue! 😉

Mack Brown:
                        You know who they are. Just look at all of the ones who are getting all of the top recruits.”

3) No question, Bryce Young is the better college QB. Young might be the 1st overall draft pick in 2023. I’m not sure how much you follow the NFL… there are people saying Maye has the potential to be the next Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence. Generational draft prospect. Young is not that because of his size. I think Drake Maye is drafted before Bryce Young if he was eligible in 2023.

4) Ty Simpson is not on NFL radars at this moment. Drake Maye is. We shall see what Simpson does in the future. It’s a mystery right now. There’s proof of Maye being one of the best college QBs as a 1 year starter.

5) It’s probable that Drake Maye is a better QB than Ty Simpson given the evidence we have. This can change in 2023.​
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• 1. So, nothing but rumors, nothing specific, and from no identifiable source is “attempted poaching”? Come on.

2. So, you offer Alabama because they meet the category of “gets good recruits”? Heh.

3. Yeah, I disagree. I think Bryce is a better QB but I do agree that Maye has an Andrew Luck type future.

4. Ty didn’t play this year because of Bryce.

5. see #4.

Comment

• Narduzzi was talking out of his ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              Narduzzi was talking out of his ass.
                              Yeah, that seems the most likely explanation and it’s not the first time either.

Comment

• Totally a possibility because of Pitt losing Jordan Addison to USC due to the transfer portal/ NIL!
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X