No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may be the least enjoyable I remember CFB ever being and, shockingly, it has nothing to do with OSU losing to HARBAUGH!!!!!

It's more about how totally off the rails things are and the realization that Ohio State's primary recruiting advantages have been completely obliterated with NIL. They're gonna lose two absolutel stud DEs to NIL -- Georgia and Oregon. And probably a CB to Auburn. They'll still recruit better than the rest of the B10, but the realization is this -- and it's what I've been saying -- they're off the path to be consistently elite. The SEC is going to absolutely dominate the CFP when it goes to 12 -- and, to be fair, I think that was going to be the case anyway, but its going to amplified by a lot thanks to the current landscape.

Oh well. Ohio State had a good run. I enjoyed the shit out of those 19 years from 2002-20. As many NCs as losses to M. 3 other CG appearances, 2 other CFP appearances. Great run. Its about 390 AD Rome, and Alaric and Visigoths aren't quite at the gates, yet, but they're coming and the events that lead inextricably to the downfall have occured. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the fall.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• We will wave at at you Ohioans as we fall together into CFB oblivion.

But seriously folks, if this 12 team playoff is going to work, there's going to have to be some sort of agreement on recruiting that levels the playing field. I have no suggestions, or any idea how it can be done, but the Vanderbilts, Indianas, Virginias and Arizonas of the college football world aren't going to agree to be a part of any super conference that gives Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State a NC every 4 years. If they want the doormats to hang around, theres going to have to be some sort of parity in recruiting. Again, I have no idea how this can be done, but something HAS to be done.

Save Michigan Football. Fire Warde Manuel.

Comment

• There ought to be a law....
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
          We will wave at at you Ohioans as we fall together into CFB oblivion.

But seriously folks, if this 12 team playoff is going to work, there's going to have to be some sort of agreement on recruiting that levels the playing field. I have no suggestions, or any idea how it can be done, but the Vanderbilts, Indianas, Virginias and Arizonas of the college football world aren't going to agree to be a part of any super conference that gives Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State a NC every 4 years. If they want the doormats to hang around, theres going to have to be some sort of parity in recruiting. Again, I have no idea how this can be done, but something HAS to be done.
          There was no parity in recruiting before NIL, why should there be after? Some people are better at certain things than others. Virginia and Indiana were doormats prior to NIL. If anything, this will help them. Mark Cuban is an IU alum.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            This may be the least enjoyable I remember CFB ever being and, shockingly, it has nothing to do with OSU losing to HARBAUGH!!!!!

It's more about how totally off the rails things are and the realization that Ohio State's primary recruiting advantages have been completely obliterated with NIL. They're gonna lose two absolutel stud DEs to NIL -- Georgia and Oregon. And probably a CB to Auburn. They'll still recruit better than the rest of the B10, but the realization is this -- and it's what I've been saying -- they're off the path to be consistently elite. The SEC is going to absolutely dominate the CFP when it goes to 12 -- and, to be fair, I think that was going to be the case anyway, but its going to amplified by a lot thanks to the current landscape.

Oh well. Ohio State had a good run. I enjoyed the shit out of those 19 years from 2002-20. As many NCs as losses to M. 3 other CG appearances, 2 other CFP appearances. Great run. Its about 390 AD Rome, and Alaric and Visigoths aren't quite at the gates, yet, but they're coming and the events that lead inextricably to the downfall have occured. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the fall.
            That's strange. I'm enjoying the fuck out of college football these days.

Comment

• I would enjoy all of you STFU....
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                We will wave at at you Ohioans as we fall together into CFB oblivion.

There needs to be something. And it probably has to go through some sort of Superconference. I don't know. It's not really tenable at the moment. Then again, I'm not sure how tenable the upfront NIL money model is at the moment. They're giving kids a ton of money and they can just enter the portal the next year and re-bid themselves.

It's sort of fucked up, but I'm not sure there's much of an answer.

I mean, the answer is to adapt or die or change the rules, so it's really adapt or die. And from an OSU perspective, it's almost certainly die.

Comment

• Ohio State is well ahead of Michigan and most others in the NIL department. At least your program has stated publicly that they need a shit ton of cash and they are going about getting it.

Comment

This may be the least enjoyable I remember CFB ever being and, shockingly, it has nothing to do with OSU losing to HARBAUGH!!!!!

What, specifically, were the "primary recruiting advantages" you are talking about? The clearest advantage is that they pay their players, and they have no problem with transferring credits. I've often called MSU and OSU "the SEC North" because of the payment to underqualified students.

I read an article when NIL started that said basically that all schools give benefits or money to top athletes, but that, in the B10, OSU had a major advantage because they didn't need to set up the infrastructure to pay players. It was already in place.

Here is the updated list of how much various schools are paying for 2023 recruits on a per signee basis

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Ohio State is well ahead of Michigan and most others in the NIL department. At least your program has stated publicly that they need a shit ton of cash and they are going about getting it.
                      Well, their NIL efforts are purportedly being led by a man of questionable competence, but that aside, they're not willing to do the upfront money it requires to get SOME top-level players.

You're also right in that NIL largely levels or at least reallocates the playing field. The advantages Ohio State had were advantages schools like Indiana and Iowa and Mississippi State could never have and, honestly, to a much lesster degree M was also behind them. When it becomes a pure money game -- and it's NOT a pure money game, yet, those are gone.

But, even if OSU is "well ahead" of M --- they're not offering 7 figures to anyone and that's costing them. I doubt they're even close. And that's where you need to be if you end up in an NIL battle for a big-time recruit.

Comment

• And, btw, I think offering $1M+ to any HS kid is absolutely fucking absurd. So, in one sense, I'm glad Ohio State isn't doing it because it's goddamn ludicrous. In another sense, welp -- you're fucked. Or rather, you're fucked if you can't figure out a viable Plan B.

Comment

• The fact of the matter is that OSU is paying three times as much as MSU is paying. OSU is paying almost 5 times as much per signee as UM is. It is no wonder they again have the best recruiting class in the B10.

As to leveling the playing field, what would be wrong in having a super conference of those schools who agree to place a limit of $ 50k on average to their recruits? This would cut Alabama by 64% and cut OSU by 47%. PSU is at 52k and ND is at 62k. UM would go up by 250%.

This would be the best way to figure out which schools want to play big-time college football. A superconference will need a way to weed out the Northwesterns and the Vanderbilts. Iowa is now paying just under 10k per recruit, and they would have to up their recruiting game to join the superconference.

Comment

And, btw, I think offering $1M+ to any HS kid is absolutely fucking absurd. So, in one sense, I'm glad Ohio State isn't doing it because it's goddamn ludicrous. In another sense, welp -- you're fucked. Or rather, you're fucked if you can't figure out a viable Plan B.
                            Yup. And big paydays are THE reason other B10 schools resent the way OSU recruits.

I'm still waiting for those "primary recruiting advantages" other than paying way more than any other B10 team pays.

Comment

But, even if OSU is "well ahead" of M --- they're not offering 7 figures to anyone and that's costing them. I doubt they're even close. And that's where you need to be if you end up in an NIL battle for a big-time recruit.

They ARE offering about double what PSU is offering and PSU is second in the B10.

To say other schools offering seven-figure NIL deals puts OSU at a "disadvantage" may be true in the abstract. And when OSU decides to "match" Alabama or Texas in the next couple of years, you will be complaining that you had to do it in order to remain competitive.

One thing someone should mention is that the chart is based on the 2023 recruits. I suspect UM is paying well in the transfer portal. I've been unable to find any data, but I think that is an honest assumption.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaGeezer View Post
                                The fact of the matter is that OSU is paying three times as much as MSU is paying. OSU is paying almost 5 times as much per signee as UM is. It is no wonder they again have the best recruiting class in the B10.

As to leveling the playing field, what would be wrong in having a super conference of those schools who agree to place a limit of $ 50k on average to their recruits? This would cut Alabama by 64% and cut OSU by 47%. PSU is at 52k and ND is at 62k. UM would go up by 250%.

This would be the best way to figure out which schools want to play big-time college football. A superconference will need a way to weed out the Northwesterns and the Vanderbilts. Iowa is now paying just under 10k per recruit, and they would have to up their recruiting game to join the superconference.
                                If you think NIL deals are accurately reported for recruits, you're insane. I mean, I don't know what else to say.

Ohio State players on the football team have reported NIL deals. Like CJ Stroud. For recruits? LOL. You can link that stupid On3 piece of shit as many times as you want.

FYI -- we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I ain't running my head into the recruiting brick wall with you again.

Comment

Working...
                                X