The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparty and M should be reversed
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Georgia Southern fired coach Chad Lunsford following a 1-3 start to the season, it was announced on Sunday.

Comment

• Brutal.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Each weekend in college football, there is one main character. The goal is to never be it.

Comment

• The Top Ten

1. Alabama. The Crimson Tide took care of Southern Miss by the first play of the second quarter, so there's not much to be gleaned from that one. Now, we're on to our Game of the Week #1: Alabama vs. Ole Miss in Tuscaloosa. Last year, this was 63-48. I don't think it'll quite match that in terms of points, but I suspect it'll be at least as competitive. Prediction: Alabama 45, Ole Miss 38.

2. Georgia. Georgia beat the brakes off of Vanderbilt-- that game was over ten minutes in. Now, we have Game of the Week #2: Georgia vs. Arkansas, between the hedges. This will be the Hogs' first true road game, and they're desperately going to need K.J. Jefferson to be healthy to have any kind of a chance. My guess is Georgia's too good, but this ought to be entertaining. Prediction: Georgia 31, Arkansas 24.

3. Oregon. Oregon-Arizona was much more interesting than the final score would indicate. That was a closely contested game, in which Arizona would move the ball fairly efficiently, and then would throw an interception. I'm curious to see how Oregon's defense fares against a PAC-12 team that doesn't give them the ball all the time. Stanford's coming off a tough loss to UCLA, but the Cardinal passing attack has much improved since Tanner McKee took over at QB. This game could be sneaky good.

4. Oklahoma. I understand the logic of moving a team down after a closer-than-expected win-- I don't do that here myself, but I get it. I don't think it's fair, though, to penalize Oklahoma for that win over West Virginia. That was a tough, well-contested game against a good defensive team. West Virginia's about two plays from being 4-0 and on this list. Now, OU travels to little Manhattan, and they've lost two straight against K-State. Expect another tough game, though I don't think KSU can stress OU's pass defense enough to pull this one off.

5. Penn State. This was kind of a quiet week for the Nittany Lions, as they did what they had to do against a quality FCS opponent in Villanova. Next up: a revenge game in State College against Indiana, and then what could be the Big Ten game of the year at Iowa.

6. Cincinnati. Cincinnati's had everything go right for them so far this season. For a Group of Five team to make the playoff, there's going to have to be carnage among the Power Five, and this season, more ranked teams have lost in the first four weeks than in any first four weeks of a season going back to the start of the AP poll in 1936. Now it comes down to four quarters in South Bend, against a former Cincinnati coach, for a chance at crashing the playoff party. I'd been leaning toward picking the Bearcats, but after Notre Dame's win over Wisconsin, I think Cincinnati's going to come up just short in our Game of the Week #3. Prediction: Notre Dame 24, Cincinnati 20.

7. Iowa. The Hawkeyes looked as though they might squander all their good fortune in the first half against Colorado State, then settled down and strangled another overmatched opponent. This is still a terribly limited offensive football team, though, and they've got a heck of a trap game coming up this Friday at Maryland. If the Terps can find a way to hit a big play or two early, this could get uncomfortable.

8. Notre Dame. Here's the thing about teams that get by on luck early in a season...occasionally, they start living up to their luck. The Irish blew open a close game against Wisconsin with three defensive and special teams scores in the fourth quarter, and even survived losing QB Jack Coan for a time against Wisconsin's first-rate defense. Their outside playmakers still don't scare you, but the defense does, and I think that will be good enough this week.

9. Ohio State. They obliterated Akron, found out that their backup QB can play(not terribly surprising, but still useful), and lost another LB. Sometimes, games like this one can help you get right, and Ohio State strikes me, unfortunately, as a team that's slowly getting things right. Rutgers could test them early, but I don't think the Scarlet Knights have the big-play ability to keep up with the Buckeyes for four quarters.

10. Arkansas. I would have liked to move the Texas state champions higher this week, but I thought Notre Dame earned the right to move up, so this was the spot available. I have to factor in Arkansas defeating Texas A&M's backup QB, but then, the Hogs had to play with their backup QB for a while in that one, too. Anyway, Sam Pittman's done a remarkable job instilling toughness in this program, and if they do manage to pull off the upset in Athens, they're in the top two next week.

Next Ten: Florida, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, BYU, Coastal Carolina, Michigan State, Wake Forest, Baylor, Michigan, Oklahoma State
            Last edited by JRB; September 27, 2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Arkansas (SEC champs)
              Michigan (B10 champs)
              Wake Forest (ACC champs)
              Cincinnati (undefeated/ non-power 5)

That’s my dream Playoff based on this current top 20. Won’t happen, but nothing wrong with dreaming.
              AND hey… those 4 teams are currently undefeated!
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• lol@Miami.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• That’s a FG I hit 10/10 times.

Comment

• Awesome game. Don't know if Virginia deserves that because Bronco Mendenhall called one of the most idiotic timeouts.

Miami 1st down with 1:37 left on the game clock. :13 seconds left on the play clock. Virginia calls their 2nd timeout. Simple math, Virginia could have saved their two timeouts and left themselves with :30 to :40 seconds left.
                    Instead, they luck out on that missed kick.

Yay though. Virginia!
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                      Arkansas (SEC champs)
                      Michigan (B10 champs)
                      Wake Forest (ACC champs)
                      Cincinnati (undefeated/ non-power 5)

That’s my dream Playoff based on this current top 20. Won’t happen, but nothing wrong with dreaming.
                      AND hey… those 4 teams are currently undefeated!
                      Michigan as a Big Ten Champion isn't happening before 2030. Never thought I'd see the time when Michigan was so inept in playing for a conference title.

Comment

• Multiple schools have fielded interest from the American Athletic Conference about joining its ranks, sources confirmed to ESPN, but the AAC said Friday no invitations have been made. The Mountain West, meanwhile, said its membership would stay intact.

Comment

• Down goes Oregon on the Farm, after spectacularly imploding on Stanford's last possession in regulation. The Cardinal steal one, 31-24 in overtime.

Comment

• Down goes #3 Oregon to unranked Stanford. Big hit for the PAC 12.

Huge sigh of relief for me. I did a massive 15 pick college parlay and was about to go 14 correct, 1 incorrect because of idiotically picking Ole Miss. Oregon losing makes me feel better that one stupid pick didn't blow the parlay!
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• 1 incorrect because of idiotically picking Ole Miss.
                              Do not listen to The AA.

Comment

• AA is a fool...with my apologies to fools everywhere for the comparison...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X