The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    I do not like Don Brown. "The Da Vinci Code" was completely unreadable.
    Too many syllables?:D

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
      And the mustache being gray is another indicator.
      Correct and it's bushy. The rare head coach with a mustache has it neatly groomed.

Comment

• Baylor University’s former Title IX coordinator agreed to a settlement offer during a daylong mediation of a retaliation complaint she filed against the school, but then quit after refusing an additional amount of money to sign a confidentiality agreement, KWTX learned Tuesday.

Ex-BU Title IX coordinator rejects confidentiality agreement, quits

The school offered her a $1.5 million settlement, the source said, but Crawford balked at signing the confidentiality agreement for an additional $50,000, the source said.
        Crawford’s attorney countered the school’s offer with a request for a total of $2 million, which school officials rejected, the source said.
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V27JmHEXMR8"]Wondering why the Texas Longhorns defense is so bad? Joel Klatt has answers - 'The Herd' - YouTube[/ame]

Why are Defenses so bad in CF
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• RPO is not a new concept...Osborne's entire passing game was built on it. Not enforcing the rule stringently can be a legitimate issue though.

I still look at pass pro as being the primary cause of what college football has morphed into. Start flagging the OTs who put edge rushers in headlocks, and the OGs who put wrestling takedowns on DTs. Make teams choose between taking 12 holding calls or 10 sacks per game, and just watch how quickly I formation football gets popular again.

That said, pass defense is atrocious anymore. Every single week we teams go down the field and score TDs in the last 30 seconds of a game...that was unheard of when I was college. If you got the ball at your 20 with :35 to go, down by four, you lost. Nowadays, we just fling it down the middle for 40 yards against Man coverage with no safeties anywhere in sight, and we're in business.
            Last edited by Wild Hoss; October 5, 2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• QBs are a tad bit better today than yesterday. By a lot.

Agree on most else.

Comment

• It's weird about the Quarterbacks, the way football is now, the QB is much better prepared for the college game, but unprepared for the pro game.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                  QBs are a tad bit better today than yesterday. By a lot.

Agree on most else.
                  If that's true, why is the NFL in near-crisis because of the lack of QB talent though?

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    It's weird about the Quarterbacks, the way football is now, the QB is much better prepared for the college game, but unprepared for the pro game.
                    ...because its about the game IMO, not the player. College ball is halfway to being 7-on-7 because of all the spread formations, with QBs reading half-field Triangles encompassing one read (sometimes none) on top of it. To say QBing in college is checkers v chess in the League would be understatement...many of these kids are completely unprepared to stand in a pocket under pressure and turn their head across the midline.

JMO, but I think the NFL will be forced to change and adapt to it...already has to some degree. One huge difference is the use of spread sets; its difficult to push the ball medium/deep with 5-man protections in the pros. If you see an empty backfield, or even a Scat look, its going to be a quick underneath throw. In college your OL can buy your WRs time to run the Post/Corner concepts, unless they are drastically outmanned by the DL.
                    Last edited by Wild Hoss; October 5, 2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Not many teams runs pro style offenses in college, it is why MSU churns out replacement level pro Quarterbacks with regularity. In college these guys are really good at completed passes in some sort of spread variation, but most of them can't go under center and can't properly read a defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                        ...because its about the game IMO, not the player. College ball is halfway to being 7-on-7 because of all the spread formations, with QBs reading half-field Triangles encompassing one read (sometimes none) on top of it. To say QBing in college is checkers v chess in the League would be understatement...many of these kids are completely unprepared to stand in a pocket under pressure and turn their head across the midline.
                        That's exactly right but they are still much better at the college level to score points.

Comment

• Absolutely.

Don?t get me wrong...if I was coaching, I?d be running some type of RPO-based spread. We all would. Except for Hanni, who?d probably go Wing T out of spite.

Collegiate offenses have evolved to best match the environment in which they exist. Quit calling holding in pass pro? Throw it 50 times. Throwing it 50 times? Put four wideouts on the field. Put four wideouts one the field? Run your QB into the open space. Running your QB into open space? Create RPOs off those looks. But it all starts with pass pro, as does all passing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                            If that's true, why is the NFL in near-crisis because of the lack of QB talent though?
                            You answered your own question below.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                              You answered your own question below.
                              Heh. It was rhetorical.

Comment

• I loved the Wing-T. Ran it in high school. And, best yet, used words for naming convention instead of numbers. Heh, good ol' "buck trap" -- RUN IT AGAIN!

Anywho, I'm not exactly sure that holding is called differently in the NFL than it is in CFB. The difference in the NFL seems to be that OL/DL talent is always at least equal and good DLs are blockable for a split a second. I mean, the NFL running game is disappearing.

The power spread -- like UFM or what Alabama is doing -- is still running football. The B12 spread is an abomination, but that's mostly because the B12 spread plays B12 "defenses".
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X