No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know about Charlie Strong at Texas. I think he's a very good coach, but his recruiting ties are strongest in Florida, and if McCombs' comments are indicative of the feelings of Texas' major boosters, he may be starting out without the strongest base of support. If that's true, and the reports that Strong isn't much for gladhanding with fans and alumni are also true, then he better win plenty this year, because that environment could turn toxic in a hurry if he doesn't. I can see this working out well for Texas, and I can see this becoming Texas' version of the Rich Rodriguez hire at Michigan-- a good coach taking the wrong job at the wrong time.

Now, James Franklin at Penn State, on the other hand...that's trouble. Franklin's a terrific recruiter, and if he takes that job, he'll have an elite program to sell.
    If he's anything like as good a coach as he is a recruiter(and the results at Vanderbilt suggest he is), Penn State's going to be a national contender again in very short order.
    Last edited by JRB; January 9, 2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• I'd love to see the Texas crowd pull a Michigan on itself.

Comment

• Texas HS football coaches want to be considered equals and have a relationship. Mack was very good at making people feel important without diminishing himself.

From what I understand, that is not Strong's strengths
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Charlie will be fine. McComb and his ilk will be nowhere to be seen in two years when Texas has one of the best defenses in the land and is back in the Top 10.

Comment

• I think Strong's ability to recruit South Florida is remarkably dangerous. He is, absolutely, going to crush Texas. Sumlin was poised to run roughshod over Mack. Strong ends that. I think he'll be able to nail Texas and add South Florida. And Texas, as a program, is in good shape. He can win early.

Franklin would be a good hire for PSU, but that program is just entering debilitating atrophy from scholarship reductions. He can win there, but it's going to take a lot longer.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Bama OC leaving for Michigan means LANE KIFFIN-TO-ALABAMA RUMORS

With its offensive coordinator out the door, Alabama could hire one of college football's most polarizing figures.
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Meltdown on Scout's Vanderbilt board...good reading.

They have some imbeciles who genuinely seem to think Vanderbilt is a better job than PSU.

Comment

• I dunno...Nashville > Sanduskyville...but as far as comparing programs and certainly program history...it's laughable...
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Yes, but if you only compare program history then one would think Nebraska is a better job than Baylor and we know that isn't true!

Comment

• Nashville's cool but put it up north and it's just another city but add a music industry. Down there it stands out for the cultural offerings in comparison to the rest of the South. And really you're talking about a small urban area that's pretty touristed up anyways, unless you love live music and chase it beyond the usual spots.

Never really been to State College. Driven through a few times, and at one point Beaver Stadium was open, so I walked in and relieved myself on the field. (Did that on an outerwall of the horsehoe too.)

Comment

• heh
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Talent...speak up when tOSU can win a bowl game...until then kindly shut the fuck up...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Does winning as many BCS bowls as team in the country and more than every team but one count? I mean, it's no Gator Bowl....

Comment

• Woow! woow! Woow! TWO count 'em TWO division titles in two years! 0-1 in Bowl games! 0-1 in CCGs! If that Ain't elite then what is! Oscar takes the Big by storm!
                              Last edited by UMStan White; January 9, 2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• That SLY Saban stealing The Kiff out from EVERYONE'S noses. Genius!!

Comment

Working...
                                X