No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn shame. OSU would have had James Quick if he had even a hint of foresight.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• He's not Texas enough
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• • By STEVEN M. SIPPLE

The college coaching carousel is spinning ...

* Charlie Strong takes over at Texas.

* Penn State still needs a head coach.

* No official word, as of early Sunday evening, whether Terry Joseph indeed will become secondary coach at Texas A&M.

The fun's just beginning.

It's not necessarily fun for everyone. You wonder about Shawn Watson's future in the wake of Strong leaving Louisville. According to this report, Watson might not be one of the Cardinal assistants that Strong is taking to Texas.

Watson, Louisville's offensive coordinator, probably isn't considered a leading candidate for the Cardinals' head coaching vacancy because he has been something of a lightning rod for the program's fans this season. He received plenty of fan vitriol while at Nebraska, and is getting similar treatment at UL -- despite the team's 12-1 record this season.

Writes Tim Sullivan of the Louisville Courier-Journal:

It’s curious that a coach who has contributed to 22 victories in Louisville’s last 25 games could have a Facebook page dedicated to his firing and multiple message board threads urging his removal.

It’s weird. It’s warped. And it’s wrong.

Read the rest of the column here.

Says Watson: "I don’t really listen to it. I don’t have time to listen to that kind of stuff because those are people who really don’t know what’s going on. No one (on the outside) really understands all that goes on in building a winning season ... It’s probably a handful of little tiny people who don’t matter."

As for Strong, national columnist Pat Forde of Yahoo Sports is convinced Texas made a bad hire. Writes Forde:

I hope the 53-year-old Strong doesn’t become the most miserable self-made multi-millionaire in the sport.

For all his on-field credentials, he is a complete misfit for the spotlight that accompanies the Texas job. Strong hated dealing with both the small media following at Louisville and the modest core of boosters who were important to the program.

When presented with national media opportunities to enhance the Cardinals’ profile, he routinely rejected them. Getting him to make promotional appearances that could enhance donor relations was an exercise in frustration. He left a lot of administrators and support personnel at Louisville exasperated at his unwillingness to do anything to sell the program outside the cocoon of the Howard Schnellenberger Football Complex.

So now we’re going to take that recluse and drop him in front of the klieg lights that shine on Texas football year ‘round? To quote Elvis Costello: I know it don’t thrill you, I hope it don’t kill you.

Meanwhile, Miami's Al Golden on Sunday took himself out of the running for the Penn State vacancy. Leading candidates appear to be Vanderbilt's James Franklin, former PSU player and former Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak and interim head coach Larry Johnson.

My money's on Munchak.

Franklin wouldn't be a great fit in Happy Valley, in my opinion.

What say you?

Comment

• SEC SEC SEC!!! Excuse me while I go suck start a 12 gauge.

Comment

• I didn't even watch..

ancient aliens is on..

Comment

• Best championship game of the BCS era.

Comment

• USC/Texas was pretty damn good.

Comment

• two teams i dislike.. no thanks

Comment

• I started the evening watching the Avengers cartoon with my kids on Netflix. They enjoyed it and by the time I had to put them to bed, 1/2 the game was over and I realized, I didn't care. So after bath's and bed, I watched other things.

Comment

• I see "the avengers" typed and I think of Dianna Rigg
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Emma Peel....mmmmmm
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I guess I missed something, but I did not see any cutting-edge, wildly-original offense from Auburn last night. I saw handoff up the middle, handoff up the middle, bubble pass, handoff up the middle, QB keep around the edge, handoff up the middle, throw down the middle. Didn?t look a while lot different from what Osborne and Solich were doing, except done from the ?gun. Auburn?s defense was much more impressive than their offense.

Comment

• Wrong, Hoss, Auburn invented that shit. Just like it was the SEC which came up with the idea of recruiting speed and being athletic.

Comment

• The SEC invented black people.

That wasn't racist. I'm breaking down the barriers of race.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• It's a good thing tOSU lost to MSU...had they played FSU it would have been another Nebraska-Florida circa 1996 Fiesta Bowl...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X