• Show
Clear All

• One no-brainer and two mighty misses.

Comment

• Chip Kelly: I'm coach of the Eagles

Updated: December 16, 2013, 2:49 PM ET
      By Phil Sheridan | ESPN.com

Should Chip Kelly Consider Texas Job?

Chris Broussard and Jemele Hill discuss whether Eagles coach Chip Kelly should consider the head coaching job at Texas.Tags: Chip Kelly, Philadelphia Eagles, Texas Longhorns, Chris Broussard, Jemele Hill, Numbers Never lie

NEXT VIDEO

PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles coach Chip Kelly said an ESPN report that he is a candidate for the University of Texas head-coaching job is "just speculation."
      "I understand you have to ask the question," Kelly said Monday, "but I'm not involved in any jobs. I'm the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm going to prepare for the Bears and prepare for the Cowboys after that. Hopefully we have an opportunity to go to the playoffs and I'm going to be here for a while."
      The Herd with Colin Cowherd

ESPN CFB analyst Kirk Herbstreit talks about whether Nick Saban considered leaving Alabama, the front-runners for the Texas coaching job, Chip Kelly's future, Art Briles' fit at Baylor and more.
      More Podcasts ?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Texas athletic director Steve Patterson has an "A-list" of coaches he would consider to replace Mack Brown, who announced his resignation Saturday. Patterson's list also includes Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy.
      There was nothing in the report to suggest Kelly has been contacted or has expressed interest.
      San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin also have been reported as candidates. Harbaugh declined comment last week when asked about the reports, saying he doesn't "ever talk about any jobs other than the one I have," while NFL.com reported that a source close to Tomlin called the coach's inclusion on Texas' wish list "absurd."
      Kelly was similarly linked to the vacant USC job earlier this season.
      "I really don't know," Kelly said. "I haven't talked to anybody. It's just speculation. I haven't spoken to anybody."
      Kelly was the coach at Oregon for four seasons, compiling a 46-7 record. He turned down an offer to coach the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012. He accepted the Eagles' job in January, replacing Andy Reid.
      The Eagles are 8-6 and in first place in the NFC East in Kelly's rookie year in the league. He was asked whether he now considers himself a pro coach.
      "I consider myself a pro coach eight times this year, and six times I haven't [been]," Kelly said.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• No links, but there's a decent amount of twitter & message board chatter that the ACC is possibly going to make changes to its divisions. Some folks from FSU, GT, and Clemson would love to see an ACC North & ACC South created but schools stuck in the North would probably veto such a plan down.

Comment

• Sounds like the newly added northern schools want to keep access to Florida for recruiting. They'll probably have to keep Miami in the North...

North (6 from the Big East): Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami, Virginia, VT & Louisville...
          ACC: Florida State, Clemson, GT, NC, NC State, WF & Duke

Looks far more in-balanced than the 'new' B10...

FSU & Clemson should be split up as those are the two best programs in the ACC, imo by a good margin. If you swap FSU for Miami, you might get some competitive balance but then you give Florida State a good reason to jump to the SEC the first chance it gets as they obviously want to be in the South and play southern rivals...

ACC really needs ND to join, even if they only play the northern schools.

Comment

• Exclusive interview: How faith and hard work took Michigan State's Mark Dantonio to the Rose Bowl

Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• After three seasons as Cincinnati’s head coach, Dantonio took over a wobbly MSU program in November 2006. He is 63-29 in East Lansing, with the three winningest records in school history, two Big Ten titles, two Legends Division titles and a 5-2 record against Michigan.

These are football achievements that defy MSU’s inconsistent history since the 1960s, its financial resources compared with U-M, Ohio State and Notre Dame and the talent on its roster according to those who evaluate recruits for a living.

“I am not surprised at all that he’s been successful at Michigan State,” said Mason, now a Big Ten Network analyst. “But I think everybody has taken notice of how consistent he’s been. It’s just really impressive. Mark must have had an awfully good plan going in there.”

For those who think MSU is going to fade back into its historical inconsistency, you might want to reconsider. Right now, MSU has the best football program in the B1G. You can argue they have the best overall Athletic Program as well.

I attribute this to a combination of very good and committed Head Coaches of the revenue sports and an AD that knows how to treat the fan base. I also believe that there is a culture in EL that considers collegiate athletics very important in defining the school.

Meanwhile, in Ann Arbor, we certainly have a committed Head Football Coach and JB is no slouch on the court. The differences are two fold: (1) Dantonio has done more with less talent and fewer resources than any head football coach in the B1G over the last 5 years. He has the on field record to prove it..... and that is the bottom line. Although it's hard to point to subjective or observed realty and call it fact, it's hard to dismiss the idea that, compared to Michigan, coaching, all around, is much better under Mark Dantonio than it is under Brady Hoke. (2) As in c-bus, football is valued in EL. It's not like football isn't valued in AA, it's just that the calculus is different. Bring on Dave Brandon. You all know what I mean.

I can't speak directly to the politics of football in EL. But it seems to me that the Controlling Boards in AA don't see what a mess of things that DB is creating with the football program and the long term damage his poor choices in that area are doing. As long as those are not recognized the football program pecking order in the state of Michigan and in the B1G itself will put M football in a place that it has not ever consistently been in my life time as a fan of the Wolverines. A program on the up and another treading water and in danger of drowning.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 22, 2013, 10:52 AM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Michigan takes success for granted and thinks it can do it in its particular way. MSU suffers from neither issue.

Comment

• Right now, MSU has the best football program in the B1G.
                  No. Not even arguable. Unless you're taking the most myopic view that statement permits.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I am .... and you can just suck a root.

34-24.

Over 800 yards total offense given up against Michigan opponents in two consecutive games.

End of story.

Until ufm figures out how to fashion a defense that can keep two unspectacular opponents at bay offensively and an offense that can beat Narduzzi consistently, your team will stand relegated to second best in the B1G if 2013 is the measuring stick of "best."
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The Rest of CF

What a Fickel pickle!
                      Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Just wanted to note that a psuedo alma mater of mine, NW MO State, won their fourth DII national title yesterday.

With that win northern schools have claimed 14 of the last 20 D2 national titles, including five of the last six. A fact which is largely attributable to the fair playoff format, which often forces schools from Texas, California and the South in play games in places like Maryville, MO in December.

Of note...NW has never lost a home playoff game against schools from Texas, California, or the South.

Comment

• MSU is the best football program in the B1G...and to think they had never beat Nebraska until this year and it took 5 NU turnovers for that to happen. LOL.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Over 800 yards total offense given up against Michigan opponents in two consecutive games.

End of story.
                            Hilarious.

I tell you what, Buchanan, I think the OSU will finish higher in the East next season than MSU. I take all bets to the contrary. LMAO.

Heh heh heh....I'm actually imagining you trying to keep a straight face as you typed that up. LOL.

Eh, Auburn is the best program in the SEC, too. Obviously. LOL.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• No team with Fickell running the D can be the flagship.
                              Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                                No team with Fickell running the D can be the flagship.
                                I think talent would agree there were some talent and focus issues (Roby) on D. It might be Fickle. Whatever, the 2013 D was NOT elite. Granted, lots of potential in the front seven but the LB situation is not set long term.

Bottom line .... MSU is king until somebody knocks them off that pedestal

Hate it that M is not a contender in that situation but, it is what it is. At least it's a Michigan team keeping those fuckers from c-bus from claiming any kind of flag ship status. Right now, it's MSU and you osu boys need to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X