The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFZ x2
    Save Michigan Football. Fire Warde Manuel.

Comment

• Thanks to all for completely missing the point.

Comment

• shaddup x2
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I like it, Dennis. It will never happen, but the relegation model is my favorite in pro sports as is the H+H against everyone, most points wins model
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Semantics, right? I mean, if there's a breakaway, it creates a new division in between FBS and FCS. Whatever the mechanism, the end result is 1A, 1B, 1C.
            I wouldn?t think its semantics, not compared to the alternative being discussed. Depends on your point of view I suppose...for you and I, it probably is. For Texas State fans, who's program gets demoted to the kiddie table, it probably would feel quite tangible.

Comment

• Written by Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer
              posted on
              7/24/13 @ 1:28pm
              in Football, Tom Dienhart

3 Comments

One of the biggest early-season stories in 2013 will be the new penalty for targeting a defenseless player. Last year, the penalty was a 15-yard infraction. This year, the penalty is ejection from the game. It?s all about player safety. But Nebraska?s Bo Pelini has some concerns.

?I understand it?s about player safety, but we have to make sure we?re not messing up integrity of game and how it?s played,? said Pelini. ?It?s going to be pretty subjective ? In my opinion it?s going a little overboard.?

Honestly, I didn?t think we would hear any coach make a statement like that in this venue. I thought every coach would take more of the company line. So, it was refreshing to hear Pelini say how he really feels about a rule that is going to alter the game very significantly.

Remember that hit by South Carolina?s Jadeveon Clowney on Michigan?s Vincent Smith in the Outback Bowl last year? Well, that hit would likely result in Clowney getting booted from the game this coming season. I think Pelini fully grasps what?s about to happen to the sport of football.

And he?s a bit uneasy about it, as am I.

Post Extras:
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                EFZ x2
                ...says the man left holding an unused stack of red and yellow cards! heh

Comment

• hahahah ...

You're next bub ... :-)

Comment

• Not sure if it's been discussed here recently but from the 'major' conference meetings, it seems pretty imminent that there will be a split in college football (possibly other sports as well) among the haves and have-nots; the name for the new 'division' of the NCAA will be Division 4...

The five 'major' conferences (B10, Pac 12, Big XII, SEC, ACC) are obviously the have-nots if they desire to be. Time frame when this could go down is after the bowls this season. Supposedly this opens the door for members of 'minor' conferences to choose to be Div 4 as independents (e.g. Boise, Cincy, UConn, etc.) in football provided they follow whatever rules the major conferences put forth (e.g. stipends for all student athletes, minimum attendance, etc.)

Comment

• The five 'major' conferences (B10, Pac 12, Big XII, SEC, ACC) are obviously the have-nots if they desire to be.
                      huh?

Comment

• I think he meant "they are the HAVES, if they desire to be" ...

Comment

• Obviously! ;)

Rumors are there are some members (in the ACC) who don't want to belong to this new division (code named Division 4) and don't want to do the requirements (stipends and the like) of what's expected to be in the new division. Just rumor, so take it with a grain of salt but everything else is indicating a split among the 'major' conferences (B10, Big XII, Pac 12, ACC & SEC) and the 'minor' (American, C-USA, MWC, MAC & Sun Belt) conferences in football (others sports would be more difficult), potentially as soon as right after the bowl games this January...

The 'major' conference commissioners have been hard at work on this for awhile, notice Delaney strongly recommending no FCS school scheduling and even recommending similar caliber OOC opponents. Of course just like FBS universities plays FCS programs now, there will still be games played against the MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, MWC, etc just likely a limit (e.g. 2) on the amount played per season.

Comment

• I'd take a lot of the information about this with a grain of salt, especially information that portends the imminent collapse of the ACC. Have found out over the past few years that most (if not all) these ACC rumors get traced back to the same handful of West Virginia bloggers who have an axe to grind against the ACC and have been consistently wrong about expansion since 2010.

Comment

• If they did move into a new division I just wish they'd stop with the student part and just make it a minor league.
                              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I find it hard to see any ACC universities leaving for the Big XII, which hardly gives a pay raise (especially after travel) and puts them in a lower class academically. It would take the B10 or SEC both to want an ACC school (B10 might want Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech; SEC would probably want 2 of North Carolina, Duke, Virginia Tech) and that school would have to be willing to join the other conference too...

Unless the money gap grows significantly with the SEC Network & the B10's potential big pay day with its upcoming 1st/2nd tier TV deal, I see the ACC as solid till then. If that revenue gap starts getting closer to $20mil instead of the current say $8mil it presently is; those ACC universities might really start considering their options. Ditto for the Big XII powers, Oklahoma, Texas & Kansas.

Comment

Working...
                                X