No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's an interesting situation. In a way, it's somewhat analogous to the Articles of Confederation and Constitutional US, certainly post-Civil War.

For most leagues that EA works with, there's a centralized, dominant center of control for licensing. All NBA teams wear Adidas crap; all NFL teams wear, I think, Nike now after going with Reebok for awhile. The NFL and NBA, etc can license its players names and images -- a right I assume is granted the franchise in every contract and which is in turn granted to the NBA or which is granted the league via collective bargaining. Either way, the leagues have it.

The NCAA sort of just oversees a collection of autonomous leagues and Universities. There's little doubt, IMO, that the University could obtain the rights at issue as part of the scholarship grant. Plenty of consideration flowing both ways. But, I don't think there's any specific provision in the scholarship that grants the NCAA rights. Moreover, I'm not sure they could -- the contract isn't between the NCAA and the Student-Athlete, it's between the student-athlete and the University. And there's a lot of steps between the University have any such rights and the NCAA.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      True ..... would you want Robinson at Neb doing that team's Xs and Os?

Robinson may have been good in his day but that day is long gone just like Paterno's and Bowden's were about 5 years before each of them was gone ..... maybe longer.

I think I'd take a GA who had player experience on D over a guy like Greg Robinson. My view, although there is no way to corroborate it, Robinson is a net negative for the Texas coaching staff. Watch.
      For their coaching staff, he's a plus. They have a collection of baboons down there.

Comment

• Good analogy, Talent, but needing one clarification...

It's an interesting situation. In a way, it's somewhat analogous to the Articles of Confederation and Constitutional US, certainly post-Civil War.

Did you mean post-Revolutionary War? If I follow you, you're comparing the NCAA with the fledgling US Government, first under the Articles of Confederation, and then less than a decade later when the Constitution was written: the central government was relatively powerless (as is the NCAA), wasn't trusted (again, same with the NCAA), and depended on the states for revenue (just as the NCAA depends on the conferences and individual universities for any power and revenue it can obtain).
        Last edited by Rob F; July 18, 2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• The game passed Robinson by 10 years ago.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
            The game passed Robinson by 10 years ago.
            Give Gerg some credit---what other DC do you know of that, just a few short seasons ago, was as innovative in his methods, able to inspire his defense to greatness by hitting them with a stuffed toy beaver!?

oh, wait...maybe that didn't turn out so well after all.

never mind

Comment

• I wish that I knew the whole story behind that stuffed Beaver. Did he reward anyone in practice who forced a turnover with a stuffed beaver rub to the face? Was it part of a theme for the season? (ala the pickaxes for the '97 season).

Comment

• Rob:

I view the era of the centralized federal government as postbellum with an intermediate era after the AoC. Historical nitpick.

Analogy works either way.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  I wish that I knew the whole story behind that stuffed Beaver. Did he reward anyone in practice who forced a turnover with a stuffed beaver rub to the face? Was it part of a theme for the season? (ala the pickaxes for the '97 season).
                  I don't know if Gerg ever did speak to the press about his beaver. Maybe he just wasn't one of those "kiss-and-tell" kind of guys...

Seriously, though, who knows WTF he was trying to do with that stuffed animal. Obviously didn't work; now it ranks right up there with RichRod singing Josh Groban as embarrassing low-water marks of the lost years.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Rob:

I view the era of the centralized federal government as postbellum with an intermediate era after the AoC. Historical nitpick.

Analogy works either way.
                    I guess so, I suppose one can also draw parallels to later eras in the first century of this country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
                      I don't know if Gerg ever did speak to the press about his beaver. Maybe he just wasn't one of those "kiss-and-tell" kind of guys...

Seriously, though, who knows WTF he was trying to do with that stuffed animal. Obviously didn't work; now it ranks right up there with RichRod singing Josh Groban as embarrassing low-water marks of the lost years.
                      Come to think of it, there were multitudes of low-water marks during RichRod's reign of error. Glad its over.

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Dothan teacher attempts to give Saban a gift of wooden nesting dolls during the mayhem in The Wynfrey Hotel lobby.

bama fans and saban
                          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            A&M was SWC. Enough said. The 30 for 30 on SMU talks about how pissed aTm was when Dickerson choose SMU after the Aggies bought him a car (amongst other things). But, as they noted in the film, what could they do?
                            The good ol days, huh? When will they come back?

Comment

• Johnny Manziel's Manning Camp Saga: MIA Friday Night, Caught Lying?
                              At SEC Media Days, Johnny Manziel blamed his cell phone and A.J. McCarron for oversleeping and arriving late to a Manning Passing Academy last Saturday. The site that broke the original story is now reporting McCarron couldn't have woken Manziel up—because Johnny Football didn't sleep in their room on Friday.

RELATED

Johnny Manziel Leaves Mannings’ Camp Early; Hangover? [UPDATING]
                              Johnny Manziel was one of many college quarterbacks to attend the Manning Passing Academy over the weekend. But he's the only one who was… Read…
                              Rumors & Rants follows up their bombshell from last week with a detailed story that relies on another, different source "well connected (to) the camp's inner workings" that corroborates much of what we knew last Sunday and adds details about what exactly Manziel did—or, more accurately, didn't do—on Friday night.

No one knows for sure where Manziel slept on Friday night, and the exact location is probably none of our damn business. But we do know it wasn’t at a Nicholls State dorm with roomie McCarron. It was reported to Archie Manning that Johnny Football was last seen somewhere on Bourbon Street in New Orleans at around 4 a.m. (The Nicholls campus is about an hour drive from New Orleans).

This was Johnny’s first mistake. Not necessarily going to New Orleans, but lying about it to Archie, who had already been informed by a friend that Manziel was out on Bourbon. Basically Manning gave Manziel the chance to explain himself the next day when Archie already knew full well what had happened and where he was — classic parent move! — but Manziel chose not to tell the truth.
                              Additionally, Rumors & Rants' source says that Manziel lied to his mother by telling her he overslept; that he missed or was late to "every" meeting for camp staff; and that it was Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens, not Archie Manning, who led the charge to send Manziel home.

Manziel partying, drinking, and/or staying out late is not a particularly interesting story, save for a hook like a Scooby-Doo outfit; he is a college student, and one with more money in his pocket than most, and no one who went to a school with scions of privilege can possibly find this sort of behavior all that strange. (Rumors & Rants' source says that "95 percent" of the quarterbacks who serve as counselors at the Manning Passing Academy go out and drink at night.)

The difference for Manziel isn't that he is trying to have it both ways, doing all of the average college kid stuff despite many more accolades (and, thus, scrutiny) and responsibilities (and, thus, more early mornings) than Blutarskys and Flounders past. It's that he's not succeeding at the juggling. And that, not the partying, is the hook here, because the list of athletes who have lived large and played like lions is too long to fit Manziel anywhere near the top.

One short week ago, barely anyone cared that Manziel was at the Manning Passing Academy as a camper. Since then, his departure from the camp has become a cause c?l?bre for the football-media complex, to various frustrating results. But it's worth remembering, at root, that credible reports suggest this is a problem of Manziel's own creation, and that journalists calling bullshit on bullshit are doing journalism. Manziel would also do well to realize that calming the storm that swirls around a media figure is almost always better done with truth than excuses.
                              Last edited by Tony G; July 21, 2013, 03:29 PM.
                              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida Gators linebacker Antonio Morrison has been arrested for the second time in five weeks, this time for allegedly barking at a police dog and resisting arrest, and will miss at least the first two games of the season after being suspended from the team Sunday.

Morrison's defense was the dog barked first, according to a police report.

More on Florida

GatorNation Everything Florida, from recruiting to news to game coverage, is available at ESPN.com's GatorNation.
                                More:
                                • ESPN.com Recruiting coverage
                                • ESPN.com's SEC blog

According to an Alachua County Sheriff Office's report, police responded to a suspicious incident and disturbance call at 3:43 a.m. Sunday at a Gainesville hotel adjacent to a nightclub. While officer William A. Arnold was investigating the vehicle that was the subject of the call, a group of several men were walking along SW 13th Street.

One of the men reportedly approached the patrol car and began barking at his police dog through the open window. The report said that caused the dog, named Bear, to bark back at the man, which Arnold says in his report diverted his attention from investigating the vehicle.

The report says Arnold told the man -- later identified by his driver's license as Morrison -- to wait in front of his patrol car and the man resisted when Arnold tried to handcuff him. Two other officers arrived and helped detain Morrison, according to the report.

"I'm extremely disappointed in Antonio Morrison's decision making," Florida coach Will Muschamp said in a statement. "He has been suspended from the team and will miss at least two games to begin the season."

Alachua County Sheriff's spokesman Art Forgey said it's rare for someone to harass a canine officer.

"We don't see that very often at all," he said. "Gainesville Police Department has horses and they see it sometimes. Usually everybody steers clear of the dogs."

Morrison -- a 6-foot-1, 230-pound sophomore expected to be the Gators' starting middle linebacker this season -- told the officers he barked at the dog because the dog barked at him first.

He was booked into the Alachua County Jail at 4:15 a.m. ET.

Muschamp had previously said he hadn't decided whether to suspend Morrison as a result of a June 16 arrest for battery after he punched a nightclub bouncer because he was not given a discounted rate for admission. Muschamp said last Tuesday that Morrison was being punished inside the program for that transgression.

For that arrest, Morrison entered into a deferred prosecution, which stated he must pay $100 in prosecution costs and either an additional $150 or perform 12 hours of community service. He must also complete a University of Florida drug-and-alcohol abuse course, attend an anger-management course and participate in two eight-hour ride-alongs with the University of Florida Police Department.

If Morrison met those conditions within six months, the battery charge would be dismissed.
                                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X