The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Right and wrong re OSU. Unlikely re M, though in a completely undemeaning way.

Heh ..... just put that last modifying participle phrase into autotext so that every post you make that says something demeaning about anything having to do with Michigan sports or its fans ends with that.

You'll be fine.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Heh. That's the plan, jerkweed, which I mean in a completely undemeaning way.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• btw .. Jeff has the same forum capabilities that I have .. and he, at times, (as he will admit) gets more upset about this stuff than I do ...

.. carry on ..
        Save Michigan Football. Fire Warde Manuel.

Comment

From what I understand, UFM hated coaching in the SEC. Even though he could still match talent, he hated competing in a league that engaged in the recruiting practices we speculate about (probably rightly). That is, of course, insider talk and hearsay -- perhaps double or triple. So I don't really bother to assert it as fact or truth -- just something I heard/read.
          Well he did go to the NCAA and supposedly rat on the SEC when he "retired"...not that much came of it.

Comment

From what I understand, UFM hated coaching in the SEC.
            Right, that would be the oLIEo party line.
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• "I guess I feel like Justin Bieber or something." - Manziel jokes about the huge media crowds
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• This really says it all. Adapt or get the hell out of the way.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...manziel-circus
                ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Spurrier then turned his attention to another topic that felt out of left field at SEC media days in Hoover, Ala. The often gregarious coach brought Notre Dame into the mix, wondering aloud why the Fighting Irish are allowed to operate as an individual entity while most schools are part of a larger conference. Notre Dame became a partial ACC member this month, yet its football team won't begin its limited five-games-per-year deal with the conference until 2014.

"We're trying to figure out why the athletic director of Notre Dame is equal to all of the conference commissioners, and no one had a good answer except that's the way it's always been done," Spurrier said.

"All 14 of our head coaches thought that Notre Dame should join the ACC to play football like all the rest of us," he said.

"Notre Damers can get mad at me and us coaches for saying that … but from the rest of us that are in conferences, we say, 'Why aren't they in a conference?' It's hard to figure out why." __________________
                  Really, really, REALLY surprised , both that I haven't seen this discussed here, AND that I haven't seen or heard this anywhere else. Spurrier made a great point: why does ND get to operate above and apart from the rules everyone else deals with. F them! They want so badly to keep their independence? So be it; they stay on the outside looking in when the CFB playoff system goes into effect. F 'em!

Comment

• A veteran of 36 years coaching who has served as defensive coordinator on two Super Bowl winning teams and the Longhorns’ 2004 Rose Bowl Championship squad, Greg Robinson has been hired as a football analyst at Texas, Mack Brown announced on Wednesday.

In his role, Robinson will be a valuable resource to the Texas coaching staff. He will handle quality control evaluation for the team, provide team video review, oversee the Longhorns self-scouting and provide assistance in opponent scouting. Robinson's focus will be to provide data, feedback and analysis to the Texas staff. The hiring of Robinson will also complete the newly created Longhorns' player personnel department and the additions to the football staff.

"I'm thrilled to have Greg Robinson back with our staff," said Brown. "He absolutely loves the game of football, has such a wealth of knowledge and experience and will be an invaluable resource to our staff. Greg is such a passionate, hard-working, competitive and determined man that you know he’ll bring a great deal to this position. I could feel that from the moment we first talked about it. He loves Texas, enjoys being around our coaches and kids, helped us win a bunch of games in 2004, and we're so lucky to have him back."

"When we talked about this, the opportunity to come back to Texas with Mack Brown was a no brainer,” Robinson said. “The coach in me says I want to be on the field, but this position was something that excited me from the moment Mack and I talked because it’s a chance to help the program. I can't tell you I would go to different places around the country necessarily to do this, but to help him and the Longhorns in any way is very exciting for me. I really loved my time here and am looking forward to being a part of this great program and University again.”

Robinson was most recently in collegiate coaching as the defensive coordinator at Michigan for two seasons (2009-10) after spending four years as the head coach at Syracuse (2005-08).

Robinson was Texas' co-defensive coordinator with Duane Akina, along with being linebackers coach, for the 2004 season, which culminated with an 11-1 record as the Longhorns won their first BCS Bowl and Rose Bowl Championship with a victory over Michigan. That season, Texas held its opponents to 320.1 yards (23rd NCAA) and 17.9 points per game (18th NCAA). The Horns also ranked 16th in rushing defense (107.4 ypg).

“As Mack and I talked, I could see the position was one where they wanted to take advantage of my experiences in football,” Robinson said. “The key things to me were, number one, I didn't want to be intrusive to the coaches. Obviously, I've worked with (co-offensive coordinator) Major (Applewhite) and he worked with me at Syracuse, and I know very well how he is and how he ticks, and I know that I can share information that I might find and give him a perspective. I know he'll take and use it the best that he can or not, depending on what he's thinking. In (defensive coordinator) Manny (Diaz's) case, I don't want it in any way for him to feel like he has someone looking over his shoulder at all. That's not what I'm there for. I don't want to in any way inhibit him or any of the coaches. Mack and I talked about that, and that was important to me. I want these coaches to know that I'm there for them and just to be helpful and provide any information I can find, to review, study and provide them data that they'll have access to. That was really important to me and Mack agreed that was the right way. That's how I see this working.”

Prior to Texas, Robinson spent 10 of his 14 years coaching in the NFL as a defensive coordinator with the Kansas City Chiefs (2001-03), Denver Broncos (1995-2000) and New York Jets (1994). He was the Jets' defensive line coach for four seasons (1990-93) prior to his appointment as defensive coordinator.

Robinson was the Broncos' defensive coordinator during the organization's back-to-back Super Bowl titles in 1997 and 1998. His teams qualified for the playoffs in seven of his 14 seasons in professional football.

Before his NFL career, Robinson spent eight years with the UCLA Bruins, coaching the defensive line for seven seasons (1982-88) and serving as offensive coordinator in 1989. Robinson also had collegiate stints at N.C. State (1980-81), Cal State Fullerton (1977-79) and the University of the Pacific (1975-76).

A Los Angeles, Calif., native, Robinson played linebacker at Bakersfield Community College before playing center, tight end and linebacker at Pacific. He graduated from Pacific with a bachelor's degree in political science in 1975. Robinson and his wife, Laura, have three children, Dominic, Lindsay and Leslie.
                    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Greg Robinson has nothing going for him at this stage of his career than the good ol' boys network. Mack Brown knows all about that sort of thing. He's approaching Bobby Bowden form with respect for the notion that he's been around too long.

Robinson was a stupendous flameout as M's DC. Some of that had to do with how badly Rodriguez managed his yes men but, after Robinson's Syracuse HC debacle and M's DC debacle, there has to be only one reason Brown hired him.

What a waste of money.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Be that it may, the salient point here IMO is that Texas has found a way to essentially add another coach. Whereas most teams have what amounts to a GA doing this work, UT has a guy with pro-level coordinator experience doing their X&O work in addition to their actual coaching staff. Or potentially in lieu of that staff, freeing them up for other duties...such as recruiting.

Comment

• True ..... would you want Robinson at Neb doing that team's Xs and Os?

Robinson may have been good in his day but that day is long gone just like Paterno's and Bowden's were about 5 years before each of them was gone ..... maybe longer.

I think I'd take a GA who had player experience on D over a guy like Greg Robinson. My view, although there is no way to corroborate it, Robinson is a net negative for the Texas coaching staff. Watch.

Comment

• In other news, the NCAA has announced that they will not be renewing their contract with EA for sports games. Sounds like they are expecting to lose the Ed O'Bannon case, which could have far reaching ramifications for whether college athletes remain amateurs in the future.

Comment

• I'm rooting hard for O'Bannon to win his case.

Comment

• I have mixed feelings about it. While I don't consider athletes to be "exploited" and I consider the comparisons to slavery to be pretty silly, what the NCAA and EA do to make sure that athletes don't get any licensing money can't be considered a fair labor practice.

Comment

Working...
                                X