Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btw... Speaking of the camp...

::::::::

Camp counselors who really seemed to stand out both throwing the ball in exhibition as well as being really cool were Devin Gardner, AJ McCarron, Justin Worley. Jacob Tamme (Bronco's TE) was also super cool and incredibly humble. He coached my son's 7 on 7 team. He was like one of the kids out there.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Brandon Vandenburg kicked off team before ever playing a down, being investigated for a sex crime.

Comment

• HOOVER, Ala. -- Florida coach Will Muschamp apparently isn't ready to let Ohio State coach Urban Meyer off the hook for turning his former school into the NCAA for alleged secondary recruiting violations.

MuschampWe appreciated our friends from Ohio making sure we're compliant with NCAA rules. They certainly know a little bit about that subject.
        ” -- Florida coach Will Muschamp

Since Meyer became the Buckeyes' coach before the 2012 season, Ohio State has turned in the Gators for two secondary recruiting violations, according to published reports. Meyer guided the Gators to national championships in 2006 and '08.

Muschamp, who succeeded Meyer as the Gators' coach, is even borrowing a page from Michigan coach Brady Hoke, who won't even call Ohio State by its full name.

"That's really a dead issue with me," Muschamp said Tuesday at SEC Media Days. "In both situations, we were turned in by Ohio. We didn't do anything wrong. The University of Florida didn't do anything wrong. And so we appreciated our friends from Ohio making sure we're compliant with NCAA rules. They certainly know a little bit about that subject."

Ohio State is on NCAA probation for violations committed under former coach Jim Tressel. The Buckeyes were ineligible to play in the Big Ten championship game and a bowl game last season, when Meyer guided them to a perfect 12-0 record in his first season at the school.

The latest incident involved an alleged illegal "bump," i.e., contact, between Florida running backs coach Brian White and Brooklyn Erasmus High School running back Curtis Samuel. The Southeastern Conference investigated the allegation and ruled that no NCAA violation had been committed, a source previously told ESPN.

According to an Ohio State spokesman, the university's compliance office, after learning of possible illegal contact between White and Samuel, forwarded the information to the Big Ten office.

Meyer told the Gainesville Sun earlier this month that he didn't have anything to do with turning Florida in for the alleged violations.

"It is absolutely not true that I turned in the University of Florida," Meyer told the newspaper. "Weeks after, I learned our compliance guy [without any coach involvement] forwarded an article to the conference office. This is standard procedure. Once again, zero coach involvement."

ESPN.com previously reported Meyer "was aware of [turning in the Gators] and endorsed it."

Comment

• Symantics ..... we're going to continue to see this from ufm in every aspect of cfb.

To ufm's credit, he did what any CFB coach (in the BT) should do when it comes to the potential for recruiting violations (involving the SEC):turn them in.

Hell, ufm knows about this shit. He knows it confers an advantage to the SEC because he took advantage of it himself at UF and now that he is no longer with that esteemed conference (F them), he is willing to tell it like it is by his own actions as a coach in the BT.

Good for him .... in sort of a sick way.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Urban is no better now than he was then.
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• He knows it confers an advantage to the SEC because he took advantage of it himself at UF
              No. And wrong.

Urban is no better now than he was then.
              It's hard to be better than a 2-time BCS Title winning coach. So, I probably agree that he's not a better coach than he was then. Fortunately, he's still about the same. And that's good news. UFM has won more national titles in the past 8 years than M has in the past 60+. And in one season at OSU, he's had as many undefeated, untied seasons as M has in the past, well, 60+.

If he happens to play by the rules and narc out potential violators, I guess that's a price I'm willing to pay.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Meyer wasn't a typical SEC coach and didn't bend/break the rules like most in the SEC West do, he did bring in tons of 'top' talent but that's pretty easy to do in places like Florida, Bama, FSU, USC, Texas, etc...

You can certainly fault him for neglecting character and not instilling discipline in his players. But there weren't any (that I'm aware of) rumors/allegations of NCAA violations of Meyer, anywhere he's been. Correct me if I'm incorrect.

Comment

• From what I understand, UFM hated coaching in the SEC. Even though he could still match talent, he hated competing in a league that engaged in the recruiting practices we speculate about (probably rightly). That is, of course, insider talk and hearsay -- perhaps double or triple. So I don't really bother to assert it as fact or truth -- just something I heard/read.

Comment

• Also, from what I understand, UFM is aggressive in monitoring his players. Doing shit that became lax toward the end of the Tressel Era (and which probably started to slip when Geiger left). That's also insider stuff that criticizes Tressel's approach to TP and assert there's no way TP and Co. would have got away with that shit under UFM -- namely, they'd know he was hanging out with Rife and kybash that.

Eh, whatever. UFM is a lightning rod. You know you're big-time when you're getting talked about by two coaches at SEC Media Days. They know UFM and OSU are coming. They know it.

Comment

• I'll admit, I made an assertion bringing ufm's recruiting practices at UF based on a broad brush that perhaps unfairly associated him with the standard gray area v. overt rule breaking involving SEC recruiting.

That sort of thing is well documented but, I've not seen ufm's name come up when that is talked about ..... Bama, Auburn, LSU in particular and other SEC West teams and the past and present coaches associated with those programs, yes.

I do find it interesting that several SEC coaches made a point to castigate ufm at the SEC Media day. I'd not use the term "Lightning rod" to describe him though. Opportunist? Maybe.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• HOOVER, Ala. -- South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier gave a peek behind the curtain of the annual SEC coaches meetings Tuesday, revealing that the league's coaches voted unanimously that every student-athlete in basketball and football should be given a stipend affording their parents travel expenses to and from games.

More from ESPN.com

The 2013 season unofficially opened with SEC media days Tuesday, and the sport's most dominant conference did what it does best -- it beat up everybody else, writes Mark Schlabach. Story

The league's elder statesman among football coaches said it is only right that those players who generate the school so much money should be given what would amount to a minor benefit.

"We believe those two sports, the income producers, those players -- most of them come from lower-income families -- that we should provide some expense money so their parents can go to the games -- lodging, travel, meals, what have you," Spurrier said. "We're only talking about in football like $300 a game, basketball would be a little less, where the players in the course of the year have $3,600-$3,900, depending on how many games you play, just to have a little bit of pocket money and their parents can have money to come to games."

Spurrier has pushed for stipends for the past two years, and reiterated Tuesday that all the SEC football and basketball coaches agreed their players deserved what would amount to pocket change compared to the money generated from ticket sales and television revenue. He said it wasn't "pay-for-play," but rather expense money. In fact, Spurrier said the coaches would pay for the expenses out of pocket, if need be.

"I'm going to keep fighting for our guys," Spurrier said. "If President Obama would say, 'Spurrier, you and those coaches need to quit fighting for your players, they get enough with a full scholarship,' then I'll shut up about it."

SEC blog

SEC ESPN.com's Chris Low and Edward Aschoff write about all things SEC football in the conference blog.

More:
                        • Blog network: College Football Nation

The SEC coaches' vote cannot actually change anything. A change in policy would have to be approved by both the SEC and NCAA.

Spurrier then turned his attention to another topic that felt out of left field at SEC media days in Hoover, Ala. The often gregarious coach brought Notre Dame into the mix, wondering aloud why the Fighting Irish are allowed to operate as an individual entity while most schools are part of a larger conference. Notre Dame became a partial ACC member this month, yet its football team won't begin its limited five-games-per-year deal with the conference until 2014.

"We're trying to figure out why the athletic director of Notre Dame is equal to all of the conference commissioners, and no one had a good answer except that's the way it's always been done," Spurrier said.

"All 14 of our head coaches thought that Notre Dame should join the ACC to play football like all the rest of us," he said.

"Notre Damers can get mad at me and us coaches for saying that … but from the rest of us that are in conferences, we say, 'Why aren't they in a conference?' It's hard to figure out why."

Comment

• does steve realize he's requesting that the SEC pay their players less....???

Comment

• UFM will probably bring OSU a title, and probably some sanctions as well when it's all wrapped up. They'll judge it a success. What can Michigan do about it? That's obvious. This is Michigan's chance to STFU and back its own bullshit.

Comment

• Right and wrong re OSU. Unlikely re M, though in a completely undemeaning way.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                UFM will probably bring OSU a title, and probably some sanctions as well when it's all wrapped up. They'll judge it a success. What can Michigan do about it? That's obvious. This is Michigan's chance to STFU and back its own bullshit.
                                Yeah.

I'll buy that.
                                Save Michigan Football. Fire Warde Manuel.

Comment

Working...
                                X