The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    . From a financial perspective, it's a win-win.
    So was the Big 12.

Comment

• Interesting, Clash. I suppose it's making the best out of a bad situation for both UT and ND -- if true.

What's rather amazing to me about this whole thing is that some have suggesting that UT wanted to join last go-around, but that they couldn't for political reasons. So, they had to take steps to free themselves of those shackles. And that if UT was on-board with the B10, then ND would throw in, too, realizing that this might actually be their last shot at the B10. Plus, they would know they (UT/ND) could leverage a decent deal from the B10. What amazes me is that, if true -- and I couldn't make that a bigger *if* if a I tried -- it's all part of a larger plan orchestrated by Delaney and UT.

I'm quite sure UT fans wouldn't be thrilled about joining the B10 and I know ND fans would hate it -- but I think it all goes down a bit easier if you're going to a conference with 6 of the top 10 programs of all-time.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• With ND & Texas, there is no need for teams #15 & #16, unless its a provision for their entrance. No two teams add anywhere near enough value to keep splitting the pie unless your picking up schools like USC, Florida, etc that aren't available...

Last summer this Purple Cat (whatever his name is) he was the one who was always bringing up ND/Texas (& others) to B10 scenarios, unsure of his insider status but his info is well thought out and plausible. I gotta believe Texas is talking to the B10 (they'd be crazy not to in addition to the Pac 12) and they've been building a relationship with ND for awhile... ND wants to play Texas in Texas pretty much every year (in a neutral location) and make them another rival. ND is wanting to appease their fans in Texas like they do with USC/Stanford by playing games in Southern and Northern California every other year. They also don't just play Navy & Army for convenience sake of them both being independents, they play them to play games near their fans in NYC...

LHN is owned/run by ESPN, who also holds the B10 '2nd' tier digital rights, BTN is '3rd' tier. In t he next negotiation with ABC/ESPN/Fox/etc; expect to see drastic changes in terms of the BTN receiving higher media rights (1st or 2nd tier) and I'd imagine you might just see one major network in addition to the BTN...

I don't see the LHN as a non-starter like some do. It certainly needs tweaked but it could be worked into the BTN as another station, which the B10 likely needs if it goes to 14 teams anyway. I'd imagine any condition of the LHN would be that any profits from it would be shared with B10 members, that is if it isn't turned into another BTN channel.

"each B10 team has to play at least one conference game on the BTN"

This is a must to get higher carriage rates from each state in the BTN footprint. If you can't guarantee an Iowa game on the BTN, why would cable companies in Iowa pay a premium for it?
        Last edited by WM Wolverine; September 8, 2011, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• The BTN is still largely devoid of quality programming other than the live events, which can be handled with the overflow channels. I think that the conference could easily double in size without another network. The only difference might be that the overflow channels are needed for a couple of 3:30 games each week.
          Last edited by Hannibal; September 8, 2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• The conference game requirement was, I assume, a stick to force carriage. It's one thing if Ohio State-YSU isn't on your cable. Apparently, it's another if Ohio State-Indiana isn't on. FWIW, it worked. I think nearly every cable company in Ohio carries the BTN (except, heh, my parents').

I've said it before, but the best thing about the BTN is hoops. It's spectacular for hoops. Can't say enough about it. For football, eh -- OSU is almost never on it.

Comment

• Yet it provides over $80mil plus in profits to its members schools and about another $80mil in profits to its partner, Fox...

Live college and professional football is of the mostly highly rated and valued programming on television which receive a premium from advertisers. The quality of non football/basketball programming is quite abysmal on the BTN but those football games bring in truckloads of profits, as does the carriage fees paid by tons of people who don't even watch the games.

Comment

• OSU isn't on the BTN much because they are almost always on ABC or ESPN who have 1st/2nd tier rights (1st/2nd/3rd choice of games); BTN gets the scraps. That might change come next negotiation of the network contracts.

Comment

• The number of conference games on the BTN for every team could increase dramatically if the conference expands and the Big Ten decides to decrease the amount of games available for Disney. With Texas and Notre Dame (or maybe just Tejas), it might be a lot more profitable in the long run to limit ESPN/ABC to one marquee game a week and then put every other game on the network. The fees that you could extort from carriers in the footprint would be ESPN-like.

Comment

• I repeat what I said during the last spate of realignment negotiations-- I'd love to see Notre Dame in the Big Ten if the Irish feel conference membership is their best bet. I want nothing to do with the University of Texas. They're not a geographic fit, they're not a cultural fit, and they've demonstrated that they will not behave as one among equals. Yes, they bring a great program and a financial windfall to the table, and that's tough to pass up, but sometimes, a great-looking girl can be more headache than she's worth. I'd rather Texas be somebody else's problem.

Comment

• Would you begrudgingly take UT if it meant getting ND? It seems that it's all or nothing for the B10 wrt to those two.

Comment

• I want nothing to do with the University of Texas. They're not a geographic fit, they're not a cultural fit, and they've demonstrated that they will not behave as one among equals.
                        Not to mention that it will likely pi$$ off Nebraska ...
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                          Not to mention that it will likely pi$$ off Nebraska ...
                          ...and set us up for the biggest "I Told You So" in Big Ten history. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            Interesting, Clash. I suppose it's making the best out of a bad situation for both UT and ND -- if true.

I'm quite sure UT fans wouldn't be thrilled about joining the B10 and I know ND fans would hate it -- but I think it all goes down a bit easier if you're going to a conference with 6 of the top 10 programs of all-time.

This is pretty much spot on...though I don't think we are in a bad situation...we're just doing everything we can to make sure we don't find ourselves in one. Swarbrick was quite blunt and forthright in admitting he was talking to the Big Ten last year and that he has talked with other conferences and schools, etc. The official position is to continue to monitor the situation and make a decision that is in ND's best interest.

Fans are pretty much resigned to the fact that it's no longer a question of if, but when.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clashmore Mike View Post
                              This is pretty much spot on...though I don't think we are in a bad situation...we're just doing everything we can to make sure we don't find ourselves in one. Swarbrick was quite blunt and forthright in admitting he was talking to the Big Ten last year and that he has talked with other conferences and schools, etc. The official position is to continue to monitor the situation and make a decision that is in ND's best interest.

Fans are pretty much resigned to the fact that it's no longer a question of if, but when.

Hopefully you join the conference soon. I like the idea of home games in Indiana.
                              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                                Hopefully you join the conference soon. I like the idea of home games in Indiana.

Heh...

Comment

Working...
                                X