No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of their tough conference games are at home, they have to travel to Oklahoma though. Anybody really think they will get a fair shake from the (Big 12) boys in stripes?

Comment

• Probably about the same treatment as Nebraska got last year.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• What is far, far more interesting (to me) is who is team #14 for the SEC and will schools like Oklahoma & Missouri start flirting with the Pac 12, B10...

FWIW Oklahoma wants to raise its academic profile and much prefers the Pac 12/ B10 to the SEC... I'd love to see Nebraska gets its former rival back in the same conference and see them fighting for a division...

I personally like Missouri in the B10, they 'feel' like a B10 school but I don't think the B10 will be interested unless it can land an elite program to go with them. They'd probably take more than they have to offer but would make a strong school in the middle of the conference. B10 is in the situation where it needs two programs around the level of say Wisconsin or better; or just one program that pays the way of two programs. There really aren't any of those available except for two schools with over inflated egos and lots of baggage: ND & Texas.
        Last edited by WM Wolverine; August 30, 2011, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• Last summer, when the first conference realignment tremors were being felt, BYU administrators may have been sitting by their phones. No calls came. Not from the Pac-10, not from the Big 12.

Just for starters, BYU would require an across-the-board ban on Sunday play in whichever contest or championship involved the Cougars. BYU would require consent for all of BYUtv's current access and distribution plans. BYU would probably require iron-clad assurances that Texas and Oklahoma (and Notre Dame?) were committed to long-term Big 12 membership.
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Why not have OU and Mizzou join the B10 together. I know some of you may not consider OU to be an elite institution, but on a football level it's a no-brainer. Natural rivalries with Nebraska, OU, Mizzou, Iowa... etc.

Comment

• My understanding is that Oklahoma and Okie State are a package deal.

The B10 is done, at the moment, with expansion. If something fantastic falls into their lap, then so be it. But Mizzou ain't fantastic. And neither are both Oklahomas.

BYU may make the most sense to Texas. It makes way less sense to the B12 than, say, TCU or Houston. But UT calls the shots, and the question is what's good for UT. And another Texas school flunks that test.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Jack.. I think the lack of AAU status is the problem. But I'm with you. Grab OU and Missouri and you just elevated the league. Missouri is on par with MSU and Iowa. OU would be one of the big 5. You can move Michigan and MSU back into the division with OSU and put Wisky in the west.

It won't happen, but it would be fine by me.

Comment

• I''m not sure I completely understand what standards are in play for AAU status but it seems the academic side of student/athlete is already badly comprised enough. I think diminishing the academic value of potential university candidates for entrance into the conference is a step in the wrong direction just so as to enhance the status of the athletic conference. IMO academic standards at the institutional and student level should be strengthened and not watered down.

Comment

• I'll be very surprised if the B1G makes a move to go to 14 teams to match Slive and the SEC's gamut.

My bet is that Delaney stands pat. The timing isn't right for B1G expansion. The SEC is going to have a ton on the table to manage this transition with A&M and it's going to be disruptive because of the politics involved.

What UT (the Big8) and ND do going forward will shape what the B1G does and that is going to take a season or two to sort itself out.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• jeff.. agree. I think the BIG stands still for now.

I just don't think OU is a bad option, especially if expansion is about athletics. They don't have near the baggage of Texas.

Comment

• I'd gladly take OU. Frankly, I'd even take Mizzou if I could get OU. I'd split E/W (UNL, OU, Mizzou, Iowa, Minny, Wisky) and call it a day. That'd be fantastic.

Comment

• you'd have to add NW or Ill to the West.... 14/2 = 7

=)

Comment

• Can't split Ill/NW, they are a "protected rivalry" I believe.

Comment

• Yeah, add Northwestern.

Jamie:

Ill/NW are split already. NW is in the hallowed Legends while Illinois is in the fearsome Leaders. Or vice versa. I forget. Ilinois is the OSU division and NW is in the M division.

Comment

• Oh. Sorry. Can't remember exactly who is in the Cheech & Chong divisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X