The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame paid Charlie Weis more than Brian Kelly in 2012

In 2012 Brian Kelly led Notre Dame through a 12-0 regular season and a berth in the BCS National Championship game against Alabama. And it turns out he did all this without being the highest-paid football coach Notre Dame was paying that year.

USA Today got ahold of Notre Dame's 2012 tax records, and they show that while Brian Kelly received nearly $1.5 million from Notre Dame (though that figure doesn't include money Kelly receives from television and radio, etc), former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis pulled in $2.1 million from the school.

Now, it's not exactly breaking news that Notre Dame is still paying Charlie Weis, and the school will continue to do so through Dec. 2015. It's just amazing that in a year in which Brian Kelly went 12-1 and had a chance to win a national title he made less money from Notre Dame than Charlie Weis did while going 1-11 at Kansas (and let's not forget that Kansas paid $2.5 million that same year).

Charlie Weis hasn't won much on the football field in his last five seasons as a head coach, but his checking account has gone damn near undefeated.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• The 2005 USC game LMAO

Comment

• That was one very costly moral victory.

Comment

• This is what back-to-back 8-5 seasons will get you.

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez has agreed to a two-year contract extension through 2019 that will raise his base salary to $1.9 million. The extension must be approved by the Arizona Board of Regents when it meets June 5-6. Rodriguez has led the Wildcats to a pair of 8-5 seasons and two bowl wins since arriving in Tucson.

Rodriguez will receive $500,000 for peripheral duties like radio and TV appearances, and has numerous performance incentives, including $1 million for a national title and $300,000 for a Pac-12 championship. Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne also has agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2019 that will raise his base salary to $725,000 by the end of the deal.

In addition, a university donor created a retention plan that would keep Rodriguez, Byrne and men's basketball coach Sean Miller in Tucson for the next eight years. Under the plan, they would receive part of a 500,000-unit donation of a Master Limited Partnership to the University of Arizona Foundation if they are still employed by the school after eight years. Rodriguez would receive 175,000 units and Byrne 100,000 under the proposal. Both would receive a prorated amount from the unit value through the first four years. The MLP units were valued at $35.36 each as of May 12 for a total donation of $17.68 million.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Tuscon is in the devil's frying pan that is arizona. fuck that
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Interesting methodology to keep a coach in place. Rodriguez walks away from 3.5 million if he leaves before the end of 8 years.

You have to wonder though, where is all this money coming from for these coaches?
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• shaddup
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Adjuncts are cheaper than tenured faculty, plus all the various J Iras and Nikkis out there.

Comment

• Auburn Paints Path of Chris Davis' Kick Six at Jordan-Hare Stadium

Comment

• If you haven't been following this, you need to check out an AP story about the "Power Five" conferences and Mike Slive's comments to reporters this weekend.

I don't have the link but its front page sports story.

Basically the power conferences are leveraging their weight against the NCAA. The want to stay in the NCAA but they want "autonomy" in determining the rules governing college sports.

If they don't get it from the NCAA, and there is a chance they won't, the power conferences will form a Division IV league outside of the NCAA structure that is in existence now.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• That's just a matter of time.

There is too much money involved for those schools, and the NCAA can't govern what will basically become the minor league of the NFL.

I can see a day soon where NFL teams will be able to draft players early, and allow them to continue playing college ball just like they do in baseball and hockey. Players will have a yearly "option" of continuing to play college ball, or moving on into the pros.

I really believe something like that is on its way within the next 10 years.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• There are two distinct tiers of the NCAA in Div I sports who are governed by one set of rules. Like liney stated, it's only a matter of time before the Power Five separate themselves as the two tiers have very different needs, perspectives and wealth/revenue...

Without this 'autonomy', I can't see the two sides staying together for too long without a complete split in the current Division I.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            If you haven't been following this, you need to check out an AP story about the "Power Five" conferences and Mike Slive's comments to reporters this weekend.

I don't have the link but its front page sports story.

Basically the power conferences are leveraging their weight against the NCAA. The want to stay in the NCAA but they want "autonomy" in determining the rules governing college sports.

If they don't get it from the NCAA, and there is a chance they won't, the power conferences will form a Division IV league outside of the NCAA structure that is in existence now.
                            I saw that...surprised it didn?t more play. To my knowledge, Slive is the biggest official ?name? to publically admit that splitting with the NCAA is an option on the table.

IMO, that statement means this is probably a lot further along than is being let on.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                              That's just a matter of time.

There is too much money involved for those schools, and the NCAA can't govern what will basically become the minor league of the NFL.

I can see a day soon where NFL teams will be able to draft players early, and allow them to continue playing college ball just like they do in baseball and hockey. Players will have a yearly "option" of continuing to play college ball, or moving on into the pros.

I really believe something like that is on its way within the next 10 years.
                              College football as we have known it for all our lives is done...its all over but the shouting. What ruined it- the NFL or the SEC, or some combination of both- can be debated forever, but the end result is that CFB will soon be the semi-pro free-for-all farm system that those two organization have always wanted. In fact, eventually I think we?ll see ever further culling within the ?Power Five?, insofar as football is concerned anyway. Schools like Indiana, Vanderbilt, Cal, and Kansas, who are football revenue-leeches, will get voted off the island or forced into reduced revenue-sharing deals. It gets ugly from here fellas.

Maybe it was always destined to. Got too popular for its own good.

Comment

• If true, yeah. Things change. What can't go on won't. Etc, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X