No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even Oohi residents cannot find that dreck entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
      TV producers care a lot more about commentary that is entertaining than being actual informative. I think too often they cater to the lowest common denominator.
      Plus filling 24 hours of programming means you're going to get some fluff. The garbage is what they have on in the morning and early afternoon. Probably caters to the not game fully employed crowd
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Game fully?

Comment

• err that should be gainfully employed
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• heh

either way, I only am able to catch about the first half-hour of Mike & Mike at 6 am when I get up to get ready for work, while I sip my first cup of coffee and (sometimes) sneak a quick peek here and at MGoBlog; then I most often listen to them on my 20+ minute commute. This past week, though, I had a rare day off during the week, and after watching Mike & Mike, was subjected to the first five minutes or so of the screamfest between Bayless and Stephen A Smith. Switched it off immediately at that point!

Greeny and Golic, for the most part, strike a good balance between the fluff stuff and informed opinions and informative coverage of the previous day's big stories. 4 hours is sometimes about 2 hours or more too much, but then again, occasionally not enough. At times they do get too repetitive and more often than not, too New York-centric; all-in-all a good show though.

What's on between then and the late afternoon? Even when I have a rare weekday off or vacation time, I seldom tune in, so obviously I'm no expert.

Comment

• I watched a little of that "show" on Tuesday when home with my kids. Was talking to my boss about it on friday, and told him if that was my job I'd have shot myself by now. What a dungheap that production is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                err that should be gainfully employed
                Whew......:-)

Comment

• It sucks getting older

Comment

• yes.. it does
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Then be like me and never grow up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
                        Sometimes I wonder if the BTN hired DiNardo as the BTN's version of Corso the Clown, only to find out he wasn't as funny. Then they hired Glen Mason for the same role with only slightly better success in clownism. And now they've somewhat stuck with DiNardo, he has sorta emerged as one of their most recognizable faces. And while I agree that his commentary more often than not is lame, his personality comes off as somewhat likeable, and when combined with the rest of their crew, his flaws end up somewhat hidden.

Holtz, on the other hand? CUT HIM LOOSE, ESPN!!!
                        Dinardo can at least read...
                        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
                          heh

either way, I only am able to catch about the first half-hour of Mike & Mike at 6 am when I get up to get ready for work, while I sip my first cup of coffee and (sometimes) sneak a quick peek here and at MGoBlog; then I most often listen to them on my 20+ minute commute. This past week, though, I had a rare day off during the week, and after watching Mike & Mike, was subjected to the first five minutes or so of the screamfest between Bayless and Stephen A Smith. Switched it off immediately at that point!

Greeny and Golic, for the most part, strike a good balance between the fluff stuff and informed opinions and informative coverage of the previous day's big stories. 4 hours is sometimes about 2 hours or more too much, but then again, occasionally not enough. At times they do get too repetitive and more often than not, too New York-centric; all-in-all a good show though.

What's on between then and the late afternoon? Even when I have a rare weekday off or vacation time, I seldom tune in, so obviously I'm no expert.
                          Cowherd is on after, and he's pretty good as long as you don't take him too seriously. He knows football. SVP and Russilo are after him and are the best thing ESPN has going, IMO.

Comment

• NCAA searches for new low by denying Marine eligibilityBy Christopher Wilson | Dr. Saturday – 4 hours agoEmailShare1642(Helen Comer/The Daily News Journal)We make fun of the NCAA because they are an easy punching bag. They lack consistency, transparency and an understanding of the basic concepts of common sense. You would think it difficult for them to find a new low after years of draconian punishments mixed with unsatisfactory wrist slaps but never doubt the potential depths to which Mark Emmert’s organization can plunge.Steven Rhodes is a 24-year-old Marine sergeant. He finished his five-year commitment to the armed forces this summer and called up Middle Tennessee State’s football coaches and asked if they had a spot for him as a walk-on. They happily accepted the 6’ 3”, 240-pound veteran and have been using him as a tight end and defensive lineman during practice.Great story, right?Well, it would be, except Rhodes isn’t eligible to play this season because he took part in an intramural league while in the service. He received no money to play in some extremely disorganized games.“Man, it was like intramurals for us. There were guys out there anywhere from 18 to 40-something years old,” said Rhodes to Adam Sparks of the Daily News Journal (Murfreesboro, Tenn.). “The games were spread out. We once went six weeks between games.”The details of the rule holding up Rhodes’ eligibility:The official rule keeping Rhodes from playing a game this season is NCAA bylaw 14.2.3.2.1. Steeped in layers of legal jargon, the rule essentially says that student-athletes that do not enroll in college within a year of their high school graduation will be charged one year of intercollegiate eligibility for every academic year they participate in organized competition.By NCAA standards, Rhodes’ recreational league games at the Marine base counted as “organized competition” because there were game officials, team uniforms and the score was kept.“For a guy to go serve our country, you’d think there would be some compassion and understanding so this guy is not prevented from playing college football,” said Middle Tennessee coach Rick Stockstill. “He’s going to be almost 30 years old when his (eligibility) clock runs out. He needs to be allowed to play right now. Hopefully, they let him.”Daryl Simpson, MTSU’s assistant athletic director of compliance, said that the NCAA rule wasn’t put in place to punish service members but that it’s the result of tiny changes to the bylaws over the years having an unintended consequence. The Blue Raiders are putting together an appeal to get Rhodes eligible in time for their season opener on August 29, but it will take time to get the entire rule overhauled so this doesn’t affect anyone in the future.This is an easy fix for the NCAA: Let Rhodes play now, change the rule later. Let’s see if they can handle this simple ruling in a timely fashion.
                            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Good lord. It's hard to come up with a more dispicable organization than the NCAA.

Comment

• football in general...

Atlanta (CNN) -- A suburban Atlanta high school football player has died from injuries suffered while making a tackle during a scrimmage game, according to medical examiners.
                                Deantre Turman's death came Friday after he made a tackle during a pre-season game, said Mike Alsip, a forensic investigator for the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office. The teenager broke his neck, Alsip said.
                                The accident happened at a school in the Atlanta suburb of College Park, Georgia, according to CNN affiliate WSB.
                                His coach, Glenn Ford, told the station that Turman -- a cornerback known to friends as "Tre Tre" -- went immediately limp and unresponsive after the play.

Deantre Turman
                                Coaches and others tried without success to revive him during what Ford said was a 15-minute wait for an ambulance.
                                The young athlete was pronounced dead at a hospital about an hour and 15 minutes after the accident, according to Alsip.
                                Turman, 16, was popular and well-regarded, Ford said.
                                "People knew Tre Tre. They knew and loved him," Ford said, according to the station.
                                Tarsha Keller, the woman who raised Turman since his mother died when he was just 4 years old, told WSB that the teen died doing what he loved.
                                "Being the competitor and playing different sports made him happy," Keller told WSB.
                                Deaths from high school football are exceedingly rare.
                                Over the last 10 years, an average of fewer than three boys a year have died from on-field injuries playing high school football, according to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research at the University of North Carolina.
                                No players died in 2012, the first time that had happened since 1994, according to the center.

Comment

Working...
                                X