No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @croucheric: All joking aside. The Johnny Manziel situation is serious. Not like eating a ham sandwich with tomatoes and lettuce. I did pay $16.00
    Last edited by entropy; August 5, 2013, 10:34 AM.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      BTW, I expect the message from the Worldwide Leader to change from "profiting off your own success is evil" to "this is a stupid rule!"

it's an SEC kid.. so agree

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
        @croucheric: All joking aside. The Johnny Manziel situation is serious. Not like eating a ham sandwich with tomatoes and lettuce. I did pay $16.00
        Bazinga.

Comment

• I didn't realize he's accused of taking more than $10,000 to sign. In that case, yeah, he's done if the NCAA finds that it's true. Rules on this are remarkably clear.

I expect "not enough evidence" to substantiate the obvious claims.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I expect "not enough evidence" to substantiate the obvious claims.
            In other words, the NCAA might declare them baseless claims?

Comment

• Meet Johnny's Manziel's manager and "personal assistant", Uncle Nate!

Comment

• Someone loaned them the money for a picture... You just have it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Someone loaned them the money for a picture... You just have it wrong.
                  Be sure and check out all the pictures at the link. The Manziels must be complete idiots for hiring this buffoon to be their son's "manager"

He also looks like the type who will instantly roll on Johnny should they now try to fire him.

Comment

• A&M hires same law firm that Auburn used for Cam Newton

Comment

• Lol... I could beat the ncaa

Comment

• from phil steele...

Every year in my college football preview magazine, I rank every team in the country according to their returning experience for the upcoming season. Several factors are considered, including the number of upperclassmen starters and the percentage of yards, tackles and lettermen returning. I also include career starts returning for the offensive line, which is arguably one of the most important units on the entire team.

While returning experience is one of the major factors in how I evaluate teams in the preseason, some teams can buck the trend with talented incoming freshmen and junior college players, and with an advantageous schedule and/or superior coaching. But experience matters. Last season, seven of my top 10 most experienced teams went to a bowl, while six of the bottom eight least experienced teams saw their record drop from the previous year.

Most experienced teams

Texas Longhorns

There are many reasons why I rank the Longhorns higher than any other preseason publication does this season, and their returning experience is one of them. Texas ranks No. 1 in the country, according to my experience formula, returning 19 starters and getting back 81.5 percent of its lettermen (No. 8 in the country). They also welcome back 92.3 percent of their offensive yards (No. 8), from their top two quarterbacks, top four rushers and five of their top six leading receivers. On defense, they return 83.3 percent of their tackles (No. 12), plus defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat and linebacker Jordan Hicks, both of whom missed a majority of last season. Arguably, the most important factor is the 124 career starts returning on the offensive line, which ranks No. 1 in the country with all five starters back. Those five are upperclassmen, and remember, last season Alabama rode its experienced offensive line all the way to a national championship. Finally, Texas is playing in a very inexperienced Big 12 this fall -- no other team ranks in my top 40 with regard to experience, and seven of the 10 teams rank No. 109 or lower. Add it all up and the experienced Longhorns will be back in a BCS bowl for the first time since 2009.

Rice Owls

Last year, despite ranking No. 110 in experience, the Owls broke through with their first bowl win since 2008. This year they rank No. 2 in experience, returning 19 starters, including a national-best 85.7 percent of their lettermen. On offense, they have 84 percent of their yards back led by both quarterbacks, Taylor McHargue and Driphus Jackson. They also return their top seven rushers and their leading receiver, and their offensive line has 80 career starts under their belt. On defense, 88.7 percent of their tackles return (No. 3), with 10 starters back. Finally, the Owls have an incredible 20 fifth-year seniors on their roster, making them one of the more senior-laden teams in the country. After winning five straight games to end last season, look for the Owls to continue the momentum. They should have no trouble topping last year's seven-win total while reaching their second straight bowl game for the first time since 1960 and 1961.

Washington Huskies

Last season, the Huskies ranked just No. 77 in experience while finishing 7-6 for a third straight time. This year they move up to No. 4 in experience as they return 18 starters and 78.4 percent of their lettermen. On offense, they return 97.4 percent of their yards (No. 3) with quarterback Keith Price, their top three rushers and top six receivers. Their offensive line also returns 81 career starts. The defense made incredible strides last season in allowing just 24.2 points per game (lowest since 2000). That unit returns 80.4 percent of the tackles. Despite potentially facing four ranked Pac-12 teams on the road, I will call for the experienced Huskies to finally break through and top that seven-win total for the first time since 2001.

Indiana Hoosiers

The Hoosiers are one of the most improved teams in the country thanks to the return of 19 starters. At quarterback, they have three experienced players in Cameron Coffman, Nate Sudfeld and Tre Roberson. They also return their top five rushers, plus their top seven receivers from the Big Ten's best receiving corps. All together, they return 98 percent of their yards from last season (No. 2). On defense, they have 81.6 percent of their tackles back and should be much improved. Thanks to their experience and a schedule that features five straight home games to start the season, along with key conference games against Minnesota, Illinois and Purdue, all at home, I will call for the Hoosiers to have just their second winning season in the past 19 years.

Miami Hurricanes

Last year, despite the Hurricanes ranking No. 123 in experience, coach Al Golden did a tremendous job getting them to seven wins. This year, they jump all the way to No. 11 in experience, thanks to the return of 18 starters. On offense, they return quarterback Stephen Morris, whose 3,415 total yards last season topped Bernie Kosar's school record. They also welcome back Duke Johnson, one of the premier running backs in the country, plus their top three receivers. Overall, they return 84.1 percent of their yards, and have 93 career starts back on the offensive line (No. 13). The defense last season did allow 30.5 points per game, which was the worst mark in school history, but figures to be much improved thanks to the return of eight starters and 78.6 percent of their tackles. Despite having to face three potential top-10 teams, six of my nine sets of power ratings call for the experienced Hurricanes to win 10 or more games for the first time since 2003.

Least experienced teams

Louisiana Tech Bulldogs

Last season, the Bulldogs ranked No. 10 in experience and started the season 9-1. They were ranked No. 19 in the country before dropping their final two games. This season, they have the fewest returning starters in the country with just seven, and also return just 50.8 percent of their lettermen, which also ranks last. They don't have quarterback Colby Cameron, who passed for 4,147 yards, or their top two receivers, who combined for 2,110 yards. Overall, they return just 29.8 percent of their yards (No. 121) and have only 15 career starts back on the offensive line (No. 125). On defense, they lose their top seven tacklers and return just 40 percent (No. 118). They also have a new coach in Skip Holtz and will be learning new schemes. Due to their inexperience, I will call for them to come nowhere near last season's nine-win total. They will find it tough to become bowl eligible.

California Golden Bears

Cal has been an underachiever the past couple of seasons, and after last year's 3-9 record, which was the worst since 2001, coach Jeff Tedford was let go. While new coach Sonny Dykes did a great job at Louisiana Tech, he inherits a Bears team that returns just 11 starters and ranks No. 125 out of 126 teams in experience. On offense, they've lost both quarterbacks, their top two rushers and their leading receiver and return just 27.8 percent of their yards (No. 123). They also have just 28 career starts on the offensive line (No. 117) and have just 59.7 percent of their tackles back (No. 84). They currently have just three combined senior starters on offense and defense, and while Dykes likely will have the Bears back in a bowl in the near future, it will not happen this season due to the inexperience and what should be an extremely tough schedule.

North Carolina State Wolfpack

The Wolfpack have been to a bowl in each of the past three seasons, and last year they ranked No. 12 in experience. This year, the Wolfpack have a new coach in Dave Doeren and just 10 returning starters, ranking No. 121. They don't have quarterback Mike Glennon, who threw for 4,031 yards last season. They return only 41.6 percent of their yards (No. 110) and have just 42 career starts back on the offensive line (No. 98). On defense, they've lose their top four tacklers while returning just 44.3 percent (No. 112). But the Wolfpack underachieved last season, and seven of my nine sets of power ratings call for them to get to a bowl. They could be one of the few teams capable of bucking the inexperience trend.

Kansas State Wildcats

Last year, the Wildcats ranked No. 25 in experience and won the Big 12, going 11-2. This year, they return just 10 starters and rank No. 117 in experience. While their offense returns eight starters, one of their losses is all-everything quarterback Collin Klein, who had 3,561 yards of total offense. The Wildcats also lose their leading receiver and return just 35.7 percent of their yards (No. 117). On defense, they return just two starters and lose six of their top seven tacklers, returning just 34.2 percent (No. 125). If there is any coach who can overcome such inexperience, it is Bill Snyder, who has made a Hall of Fame career out of developing junior college players. However, due to the inexperience, I cannot see Kansas State matching last season's 11-win total.

Kent State Golden Flashes

The Golden Flashes ranked No. 4 in the country in experience and had their best season in school history with 11 wins. This year, they rank just No. 116, returning 11 starters. While they do return their top two rushers in Dri Archer and Trayion Durham, who combined for 2,745 rush yards, they don't have their quarterback and have only 38 career starts back on the offensive line (No. 109). The defense loses seven of its top 10 tacklers and returns just 42.5 percent (No. 115). They also have a new coach in Paul Haynes, and will be learning new schemes. Due to the inexperience and a brutal schedule for a MAC team, the Golden Flashes could go from a banner season to barely becoming bowl eligible.

Comment

• I expect we'll be at the top of that list either next year or the year after.

Comment

• Indiana is going to scare some people this year. They look to be on the right track.

Comment

• Agree on Indiana, they'll try to outscore teams and should do well in the 'East'. I'd certainly take the 'over' on their W/L, caveat is that I haven't seen their schedule. Agree with Steele on Texas too, they return a lot of good young talent that was pretty strong last season.

Comment

• I'm not sure this was mentioned, but Jeremy Hill was reinstated by Les Miles because, apparently, the team voted to allow him to come back: http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/gregg-doyel/23037889/star-tailback-jeremy-hill-is-back-at-lsu-but-dont-blame-les-miles

Jeremy Hill zero games suspension; Carlos Hyde 3. Good ol' Lester. I can't believe I'm saying this, but at least someone expressed some outrage over Hill skating in terms of suspensions, even if that that person is Greg f'n Doyel.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X