No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Bowl is an 'event', not a destination for people who wish to vacation like the bowls...

That said, I think the northern venues (with roofs) could bid for the NT game but I'd prefer the present BCS bowls used as semifinals...

Comment

• That doesn't make any sense. Sure, you can combine the two around the holidays, but that's not what a national championship would be at this point. It would be an ``event'' just like the SB is.

Comment

• Not even close
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• That is where were headed, hack.

Comment

• I think I'd sensed that already.

Comment

• I can't remember the last time I saw Michigan play in truly bad wintry weather in November.

Apparently you missed the 2008 loss to NW at the Big House. Brutal weather, even more brutal game. Of course, Rodriguez's ineptitude only added to the misery of that day.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanB View Post
                I can't remember the last time I saw Michigan play in truly bad wintry weather in November.

Apparently you missed the 2008 loss to NW at the Big House. Brutal weather, even more brutal game. Of course, Rodriguez's ineptitude only added to the misery of that day.
                It was a crazy weather day which got worse as the day went on (just like the game did). Cold, blustery,swirling winds combined first with rain, then with a mix of rain and snow, it was pretty much impossible to stay dry and warm. To complicate things, all the concession stands ran out of coffee and hot chocolate, but I doubt they would have done much to keep a person warm that day. I stuck it out to the end - I NEVER leave a Michigan game early - but my son spent almost the entire 4th quarter inside the M Den building at the north end of the Big House, keeping in contact from time-to-time by cell phone (begging me to leave). In hindsight, with the way that game fell apart for Michigan, maybe I should have listened to him.

Comment

• I'm the same way, Rob. I never leave. Sometimes, I wish I had of left that one! I was prepared for the weather and I was still miserable.

Our tent almost blew in on itself pregame. Good thing we had plenty of alcohol!

I think that was the day Doug's trailer got stuck at Scio. It slid and got wedged between the trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                    Super Bowl is an 'event', not a destination for people who wish to vacation like the bowls...
                    Yes, this.

Families are not going to make a vacation to Michigan in January like they do for the Bowls in Florida, Arizona, California now. Attendance would be fine, but it would be a money loser for the host cities.
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Some people that live in warm climates year round actually like to see what snow looks like.

Comment

• And when would the game be played?

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                          Yes, this.

Families are not going to make a vacation to Michigan in January like they do for the Bowls in Florida, Arizona, California now. Attendance would be fine, but it would be a money loser for the host cities.
                          ..... and this is the primary calculus by which those making the decisions about a CFB post season will use. The present Bowls, the fat cats making a lot of money off of them and the cities hosting them stand to lose millions if there is a sensible play-off involving the stadia of host teams.

I might not like it but it trumps every other sensible method to conduct a meaningful CFB play-off. It is the primary reason the BCS never changed in its decade of uselessness and it will be the primary reason whatever play-off emerges in the post BCS era will make little sense to true sports fans looking for a meaningful way to determine the best CFB team in the nation.

You might as well sit back, grab a bag of popcorn and watch the show.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• You're right I forgot about that Northwestern game. Capped it off by getting to my daughter's house and she lost all electricity for several hours.

Comment

• If you do a playoff at home fields, the bowl system will officially become a tier 2/NIT type system, and what remains of it will probably die off.

Comment

• It won't be at 'home' fields, that is pretty much off the table.

Comment

Working...
                                X