No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely not in mine either. I wouldn't even put them into Tier 2.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the SEC until I see them force teams to be at 85 scholarships on signing day. 25 per year is still 125 per five years.

Comment

• I'd have them Tier 2 because of location. It is a big advantage
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
        They are encouraging other conferences to pass the same rules...
        LMAO. Gawd, the cojones these guys have is amazing.

Comment

• BTW the coaches voted on the same issue 0-12 for, the presidents meanwhile voted 12-0 for.

Comment

• I’d like to see every other conference start oversigning like hell, just for about the next five years, and slap these jokers around on the field for a while. ‘Course, it wouldn’t happen because with fewer players for their boosters to buy the dollar amount for each recruit goes up, meaning they’ll get even more of the best ones around.

I think the biggest joke going right now is the Ohio State fracas...OSU is getting torched for tats, while Auburn is buying guys for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Their boosters must be laughing their asses off.

Comment

• I live 30 minutes from Athens, home of the Georgia Bull Dogs.

Georgia is, IMO, in the top tier (I like that kind of grouping too) that would include a different set of top 10 than Samples lists. I also hate lists so don't ask.

Georgia produces some excellent HS football teams and top recruits. I'd put that at the top of the list as reasons why this is a good place to coach; second would be an active fan base that isn't close to the dopiness of UF, Auburn and UA fans. Remember, this is Atlanta. The economy may be down but there is plenty of money down here and UGA alums like to spend it (in accordance with the NCAA rules I hear). There is a sort of refined red-neck character to UGA grads .... home boys with a sharp mind and a sharp wit.

A close third is the tradition. Playing Between the Hedges in a stadium that rivals the best in the nation located on a beautiful campus with tailgating and football Saturdays as good as anything I've experienced in AA (plus it is still warm into November) has to be a huge factor in figuring the value of a football program to a coach seeking a head coaching position there.

Samples is right that Mark Richt has let UGA fans down with Georgia's performance in the last 4 years. Most think he is not going to last through next December unless he gets really lucky and goes to a BCS Bowl so, someone with class and a high profile is going to end up as HC of the Bull Dogs and they'll have everything they need to win.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• One more good year and Dan Mullen just might walk away from that contract at MSU for UGA. I wonder if he has any "out clauses" in the new contract he signed?

Comment

• I think if Georgia's looking after this season, Kirby Smart is the clear-cut #1 choice for that job.

For once, I agree with Jeff. Georgia is an elite job. I don't know where precisely it ranks among the best jobs in the country, but it ranks somewhere on that list. Every available resource a coach would need to win at the highest level is at the disposal of the head coach at Georgia.

Comment

• I see Georgia as a 2nd tier program (just 12 conference titles, 2 NT's) which it has a lot of neighboring states that are better or just as good; Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida State & Miami along with Clemson/SC, GT, North Carolina and others competing for recruits in that state. Its a gold mine for talent in that area (Fla, Ga, Ala) but competition is immense. from the schools I listed. I have it rated a notch below the elite jobs as UG hasn't been able to sustain being very successful for quite some time now..

Success is easier for another 2nd tier program in Louisiana; LSU. They have a ton of talent (not near as much as Georgia) but not the same amount of competition in recruiting wars and its neighbor (Texas) is a gold mine for recruiting... For whatever reason, the deep south of Alabama, Mississippi & Louisiana very rarely 'lose' top talent which goes out-of-state unlike Georgia.

Comment

• Northwest Missouri State football coach Scott Bostwick died on Sunday morning, the school announced.

Bostwick, 49, died of an apparent heart attack.

Bostwick got the head coaching job in December, replacing long time Bearcats coach Mel Tjeerdsma.

Bostwick had been the program’s defensive coordinator, serving as an assistant for all 17 of Tjeerdsma’s seasons.

In that span, the Bearcats appeared in seven NCAA Division II national championship games, winning three titles with the last coming in 2009.

Before joining the Northwest staff, Bostwick coached for four years at Western Washington University in Mt. Vernon, Wash.

Bostwick played at Nebraska Wesleyan and was inducted in the school’s athletic hall of fame.

Comment

• Makes me think of Randy Walker.

Tough profession.

Comment

• Last week, the Huntington Herald-Dispatch ran a piece by Chuck Landon alleging that West Virginia offensive coordinator/future head coach Dana Holgorsen had been involved in "at least three, and possibly as many as six" alcohol-related incidents since arriving in West Virginia. WVU fans attacked the report as a trumped-up hit piece written by a Marshall slappy, and the school quietly discredited the article with a refuting piece in the Charleston Daily Mail. A WVU blog is now alleging that the charges in the Huntington Herald-Dispatch piece were leaked to Landon by Bill Stewart's wife, Karen. Supposedly, Stewart and his family are still upset over WVU's decision to replace him with Holgorsen, and the working environment among the WVU coaching staff has become toxic. According to the blog, WVU may be forced to take action to straighten out its coaching staff, and news on the situation should be forthcoming in the next few days.

Now, these are fairly murky reports emanating from the craziest fan base in college football, so it's quite possible that little, or even possibly none, of this is true. Still, it concerns an alleged implosion within WVU football, so I think it's entertaining.

Comment

• Former USC assistant coach Todd McNair filed suit against the NCAA on Friday, alleging that the collegiate athletics governing body wrongfully caused him to lose his job.

More...

Comment

• West Virginia's going to have one hell of a toxic situation on its hands if this stuff turns out to be true

Comment

• A big story like this, if even remotely close to accurate, is going to close the osu soap opera and give life to a new one.

I heard a piece on NPR a couple of weeks ago that a big news story in the US has a shelf life of about 10 days. After that, editors start looking for new dirt. US journalism (not because the journalists suck) is about entertainment value and holding listeners/readers. You can see it on the nightly news ..... morning news is the worst (who wants to know who Arnold is F'ing or listen to Nancy Grace).

osu fans will be happy about this phenomena .... but don't expect us to let the topic of tressel's criminality and the subject of the morally bankrupt football program osu has run since john cooper left die (you might consider bringing him back .... at least he was honest).
                                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 6, 2011, 11:25 AM.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X