The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Froot,

Not at all. You completely misunderstand. The spread is just one measure of expected performance.

Here are a few things that I look at:

1) Spread.
    2) Every offensive and defensive stat.
    3) Comp and relative performance.
    4) Personnel lost/returning starters.

-Spread is fairly well known. We are 1-2 this year.

-The stats are mediocre. You can look at them here if you wish. Click National from the ribbon across the header. http://www.cfbstats.com

-Now comp:

1. Miami, neutral site. Won by 31. Great, right? Well, it’s a game 1, but I was hopeful the Canes were a quality team and by extension this was a quality win. The Canes are now 1-2 and should be 0-3. A down App State really should have won the game @Miami. The Canes did hit their 40+ yard FG late in the 4th to go ahead and seal the win, though, so credit to them for beating an App State team that wasn’t expected to be up to their good G5 pedigree. Finally, Mich State played at Miami and beat the Canes by 21. Assuming the standard 3-point swing for homefield, we can reasonably guess this performance was within a TD of Bama’s. This score comparison isn’t anything exact. Just eyeball.

2. Mercer. They are a bad 1AA team. Yes, sure they beat the NAIA Point University Skyhawks in game 1, and they have not played game 3, but they are traditionally bad in 1AA.

3. Florida. Great win, right? Florida should have won this game. It was close, but it boiled down to a botched PAT, which caused a late 2-point attempt (that was botched). Those blunders with an untimely INT let us sneak out of Gainesville with a fairly lucky win. But, hey, Florida is a great team! Are they? They lost a similar amount of talent as Bama, and have not looked that good. They beat FAU by 21 and South Florida by 22. Neither team is thought to be in danger of making waves - even in G5.

-Finally, personnel: We return just three starters on offense. On defense, we currently have 6 guys who started last year. Hopes were high for the underclassmen trying on bigger shoes, but the adjusted production and efficiency are way down.

Anyway. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m usually not when it comes to Alabama football. “Oh, you won!” Yeah. We did and I’m thankful, but my eyes and brain work and I am not hypnotized by the crimson laundry they wear. Oh, and by normal standards, we will still be “good”. 10-2 or 9-3 in the regular season. Probably the Citrus like alllllllll the way back to (checks notes) year before last. But maybe the young’uns grow into those roles and meet expectations. I hope so. If they do, I will gleefully eat every word.

“But, but, but, you’re just sandbagging!!!! I just know it!!”

Okay, scooter, whatever you say.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      Froot,

Not at all. You completely misunderstand. The spread is just one measure of expected performance.

Here are a few things that I look at:

1) Spread.
      2) Every offensive and defensive stat.
      3) Comp and relative performance.
      4) Personnel lost/returning starters.

-Spread is fairly well known. We are 1-2 this year.

-The stats are mediocre. You can look at them here if you wish. Click National from the ribbon across the header. http://www.cfbstats.com

-Now comp:

1. Miami, neutral site. Won by 31. Great, right? Well, it’s a game 1, but I was hopeful the Canes were a quality team and by extension this was a quality win. The Canes are now 1-2 and should be 0-3. A down App State really should have won the game @Miami. The Canes did hit their 40+ yard FG late in the 4th to go ahead and seal the win, though, so credit to them for beating an App State team that wasn’t expected to be up to their good G5 pedigree. Finally, Mich State played at Miami and beat the Canes by 21. Assuming the standard 3-point swing for homefield, we can reasonably guess this performance was within a TD of Bama’s. This score comparison isn’t anything exact. Just eyeball.

2. Mercer. They are a bad 1AA team. Yes, sure they beat the NAIA Point University Skyhawks in game 1, and they have not played game 3, but they are traditionally bad in 1AA.

3. Florida. Great win, right? Florida should have won this game. It was close, but it boiled down to a botched PAT, which caused a late 2-point attempt (that was botched). Those blunders with an untimely INT let us sneak out of Gainesville with a fairly lucky win. But, hey, Florida is a great team! Are they? They lost a similar amount of talent as Bama, and have not looked that good. They beat FAU by 21 and South Florida by 22. Neither team is thought to be in danger of making waves - even in G5.

-Finally, personnel: We return just three starters on offense. On defense, we currently have 6 guys who started last year. Hopes were high for the underclassmen trying on bigger shoes, but the adjusted production and efficiency are way down.

Anyway. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m usually not when it comes to Alabama football. “Oh, you won!” Yeah. We did and I’m thankful, but my eyes and brain work and I am not hypnotized by the crimson laundry they wear. Oh, and by normal standards, we will still be “good”. 10-2 or 9-3 in the regular season. Probably the Citrus like alllllllll the way back to (checks notes) year before last. But maybe the young’uns grow into those roles and meet expectations. I hope so. If they do, I will gleefully eat every word.

“But, but, but, you’re just sandbagging!!!! I just know it!!”

Okay, scooter, whatever you say.
      Trade ya’.

Comment

• If football coaches were honest...

Comment

• https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/09/wee...football-recap

This week in The Main Character: The PAC-12.
          Last edited by JRB; September 21, 2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Kind of a boring week of non-B10/ SEC games in week 4. Such as WV @ Oklahoma as the prime-time ABC game. Really?

#9 Clemson @ NC State. 3:30pm. The one interesting game that I noticed... Clemson is ONLY favored by 10 points. Seems like they would normally be favored by 30 points in the previous couple of seasons. The G-Tech game truly did hurt Clemson's reputation. Hopefully NC State pulls off the slight upset. Knock Clemson out of the discussion for the rare instance since the Playoff era began.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Yes I'd rather watch a stimulating Rutgers v. Michigan fuckfest...
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The Top Ten

1. Alabama.
                The numbers that jump out at me for Alabama so far this season: 28 and 251. That's Alabama's total number of penalties and total penalty yardage so far. We don't often have cause to call a Nick Saban team undisciplined, but this one's practically asking for that description. Still, they got a road win any team in college football would be proud to have, so I can't fault them too much...yet.

2. Georgia. The Bulldogs right now look pretty complete, and the upcoming trip to Vanderbilt doesn't seem likely to alter that. Then things get interesting-- Arkansas, at Auburn, Kentucky, and then the Cocktail Party. We'll know a lot more about the Bulldogs soon, but the early returns have been solid.

3. Oregon. The Ducks took their time dispatching lowly Stony Brook, and figure to have about as much trouble dispatching lowly Arizona. Are they going to be able to throw the ball well enough to keep teams from loading up on their run game? Even if the PAC-12 is terrible this year, this league has a habit of dragging its best down into the muck.

4. Oklahoma. I thought Nebraska was going to give them a game-- the Sooners just look a bit discombobulated on both sides of the ball. They have an interesting challenge this week at home against West Virginia. The Mountaineers are coming off a big home win, and playing on the road the week after such a game is possibly the toughest task in the sport. But the Mountaineers can play defense, and they have a QB platoon that can cause the Sooner D problems. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mountaineers pulled this one off.

5. Texas A&M. The Aggies lead the nation in pass defense, pass efficiency defense, and scoring defense. The A&M-Arkansas game figures to be the best game of this week, and the Aggie defense may have to stand on its head to win this one, as I'm not sure the revamped offense is going to score much on the Hogs.

6. Cincinnati. The Bearcats have the week off, and then get possibly their biggest regular-season game in school history at Notre Dame. I don't know that Cincinnati can take Michael Mayer out of the Irish game plan, but if they can, I don't think Notre Dame has the other playmakers on the outside to win a shooting match with Desmond Ridder and the Bearcats. I think Cincinnati wins this.

7. Penn State. Best team in the Big Ten? Right now, I think so. They deserve to move up this week after the win over Auburn, but there's no room for that now. If they can take care of business against Villanova and Indiana, and they should, they'll be set up for likely a top-five showdown in the Big Ten's game of the year against...

8. Iowa. Best team in the Big Ten? Maybe? They're not going to wow you on the offensive side of the ball, and I doubt they care about that. They get Colorado State this week, then Maryland, and then Penn State...at Kinnick. Penn State's won a big one at Iowa before, but I'm not sure anybody's beating this Hawkeye defense in Iowa City this year.

9. Ohio State. Best team in the Big Ten? Eh, not right now. They're still as explosive as anybody in the country, and now with TreVeyon Henderson leading the nation in yards per carry, all the pieces are in place for a truly terrifying offense. On the other hand, they're fifth-worst in the nation in third-down defense, which shouldn't happen with this kind of talent, even if much of that talent is young. Akron should give them another week to figure out their defensive play-calling. A month from now, this team could be back squarely in the playoff conversation.

10. Notre Dame. The Irish keep courting disaster, but they keep doing enough to win. Now they start an interesting stretch-- Wisconsin at Soldier Field, Cincinnati at home, at Virginia Tech. The Badgers, Bearcats, and Hokies all scheduled byes the week before playing the Irish. That's going to be a tough row to hoe.

Next Ten: Clemson, Florida, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, BYU, Coastal Carolina, Michigan State, Michigan
                Last edited by JRB; September 22, 2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• There's a good chance ND gets exposed this week. I hope, at least. They've been escaping against some pretty bad teams.

Comment

• I'm still not sold on Iowa yet. The only notable team they've beaten so far is Iowa State, and they're not world-beaters. They've been able to Kinnick everybody else. We'll start seeing how good the Hawkeyes are when they take on Penn State. Although,.. I'm still not sold on PSU either. Auburn should have beaten them, and only AA knows how good Auburn is.

I'd put TAMU at 3rd, then Oregon, and Oklahoma. CincyTucky is holding its own and passed a difficult test at Indiana. OSU is going to be in the top five before too long, and they belong there. ND needs to get out of the top ten because they are once again posers. I think both Florida and Clemson belong in the top ten in spite of early tough losses.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• ND is not the 10th best team in the country.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Pretty decent AP article that lays out the issues involved in expanding to a 12 team CFP from the current 4 team format. Its complicated:

College Football Playoff expansion has entered the negotiation stage. The road to a new format for deciding major college football's national champion took a detour Wednesday when the CFP management committee — 10 conference commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director — was unable to come to a consensus on the proposed 12-team format.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Down goes Clemson. They were fortunate even to be in overtime with N.C. State, as the Wolfpack missed three field goals in regulation.

Comment

• Clemsoning is back? What is this, 2013?!

Nice to see one of the Playoff regulars surely knocked out barring complete chaos.

Iowa State, Clemson, and Texas A&M go down. Great stuff.
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Brent Venables is going to have to let Dabo go if this shit keeps up

Comment

• AP Ranking:
                                1. Alabama
                                2. Georgia
                                3. Oregon
                                4. Penn State
                                5. Iowa
                                6. Oklahoma
                                7. Cincinnati
                                8. Arkansas
                                9. Notre Dame
                                10. Florida

Other notables: OSU #11, M moves up to #14, Sparty #17, Wake Forest #24, and Clemson #25.
                                Find the 2024 NCAAF rankings on ESPN, including the Coaches and AP poll for the top 25 NCAAF teams.

I'm fine with the ranking for M based on the totality of the season. However, it's not like I'm confident the team will win at Wisconsin because of the 2nd half vs Rutgers. Clemson SHOULD NOT be ranked right now* based on their season.
                                Brady Hoke's San Diego State will soon crack the top 25. 🤣
                                An epic #7 Cincinnati vs #9 Notre Dame game is next week.
                                Following week, potentially a more epic game in #4 Penn State vs #5 Iowa.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X