Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree that it's a good opportunity for Coach Fickell. He'll also be beloved by the OSU fanbase as the consummate "good soldier."

There are a couple reasons why I give credence to the rumors that he'll stay:

(1) He, and more importantly, his wife, love Columbus. It's his hometown. He's firmly entrenched in his life there. And he's a Buckeye through and through. So, from his end, I think it's a no-brainer both personally and professionally.

(2) Ohio State signed him in October to a contract that clearly anticipates exactly this scenario:

The appointment runs through Jan. 31, 2012, but by then he likely will have learned whether the school wants to keep him. If it doesn?t keep him, the deal says Fickell?s previous two-year contract, signed in the spring when he was named assistant head coach, would kick in, and his pay would revert to those terms.
    Cynically, that's a severance provision. *If* this has been part of Ohio State's plan for some time, it's all part of the plan. I *think* it's the latter, though that would assign a level of competence to Gene Smith that is certainly unwarranted by his performance over the past 10 months. Perhaps it was the BoT's decision. That seems more plausible than Smith displaying foresight and acumen.

permanent Ed McMahon to Meyer's "Johnny Carson".
    Exactly how long do you think UM3 will coach at OSU, Liney? Heh. If I had to guess, I'd say less than 7 years. Fickell will be about 45.
    Last edited by iam416; November 18, 2011, 01:51 PM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Ed McMahon died penniless. Why not Herbstreit, should be safe for him to return from exile, no? Honest men are hard to come by these days for OSU.
      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• He, and more importantly, his wife, love Columbus. It's his hometown. He's firmly entrenched in his life there. And he's a Buckeye through and through.
        The same could have been said about Kirk Herbstreit ... but, I digress ..

Exactly how long do you think UM3 will coach at OSU, Liney? Heh. If I had to guess, I'd say less than 7 years. Fickell will be about 45.
        I'd say he's going to go as long as his health allows. If he has Atrial Fibrillation as suspected, then that's a health situation he has to take seriously. Its a condition (I have personal knowledge) that is aggravated by stress. If its well-controlled by medication, then he's probably good to go for as long as he likes. If its resistant to medication, then he's rolling the dice with his health, because the stress of running OlieO's program will be one of the most stressful things he could ever do.

I suppose we'll see. My guess is he'll stay long enough to groom a successor, and that won't be Luke Fickell.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• If atrial fibrillation is persistent it means he has to be on blood thinners. Just another consideration. Coaches can get banged up on the sidelines or in practice stiuations. Just a thought.

Comment

• He left Florida because his doctors told him he shouldn't coach anymore. That wasn't very long ago. Either he's had some amazing recovery or he left Florida for no reason.
            Last edited by Jamie H; November 18, 2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Either he's had some amazing recovery or he left Florida for no reason.
              I would respectfully submit that is a false dichotomy. He might have also left Florida for host of reasons. From what I read, he did. That's not "new" news. I think I posted those rumors awhile back.

The same could have been said about Kirk Herbstreit
              I know what you're alluding to. But the same "insiders" who broke this story -- and make no mistake, it's two "insiders" from the OSU Scout site who have put this out there (confirmed by numerous others, now) -- those insiders said KH was influential in pushing UM3 for the job. They said, and this is what I found most interesting, that KH (and Spielman) both sold UM3 to OSU (not the reverse). They said that within the OSU power structure, KH and CS both have suction. What's interesting is that it was not, apparently, a matter of selling OSU to UM3. That's what was said. You can make of it what you want.

Comment

• Ridiculous, Meyer if he decides to return will likely find work where it pleases him.

KH & CS certainly didn't need to "sell him" on a potential HC job at OSU. Meyer left Florida then a few days later reclaimed his job, vacationed, appointed interim Steve Addazio then and stayed for an additional year of coaching.

He left the Empire he built for health reasons, not because of infidelity or mistresses or a disgruntled wife or whatever.

Why the cryptic BS?
                Last edited by Optimus Prime; November 19, 2011, 09:12 AM.
                ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• It's Sports By Brooks, so take this for what it's worth. Just reading the coaching staff makes me laugh

Comment

• I don't know that Meyer would want Tenuta. I could certainly see Spielman and maybe even Herbstreit taking a job at OSU if one were offered, and I think Spielman would be a great LB coach-- I'm just not certain Meyer would want to offer jobs to guys with little to no coaching experience.

Comment

• Herbstreit makes more money with ABC/ESPN than he would as an assistant to Meyer. And, why would he move BACK to Columbus, when he was basically run out of town? He has a great gig with ABC, and I can't see him leaving that to take a spot in the insane asylum in Columbus.

I can see Spielman taking a job. He's not that good behind the mike anyway.

The others ... meh

Comment

• I guess UM to tOSU is a done deal then if plans for Assistants are in progress.

We should all be shaking in our boots fearing domination by the flagship for generations to come.

Comment

• I'm not concerned.

We have our coaching situation all straightened out and we are already seeing benefits of that this year. Greg Mattison is 62, and will probably retire sometime within the next 5 years or so, but he will also groom a successor so that the transition will be smooth. Hoke isn't going anywhere, and he's proven that when he needs assistants, he finds good ones. He understands Big Ten football, and how the team needs to continue its midwest flavor.

I say bring Urban Meyer and his all-star coaches on. Bring it, and lets get this thing going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                            It's Sports By Brooks, so take this for what it's worth. Just reading the coaching staff makes me laugh

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/meyer-...ng-staff-29902
                            "But remained unsigned" yeah right, Bucknut droppings! That's because there is no contact. Sounds more like a fantasy "Dream Team", coaching staff assembled, budget assigned, highest-paid staff in CFB history.....all these parties agreed in principle and nothing is signed, that is because it is impossible to execute a contract that doesn't exist.

Meyer may be many things but mentally retarded is not one of them. There is no way he has agreed to rescue OSU with NCAA sanctions pending, unless of course another secret "deal" has been cut there too.
                            Last edited by Optimus Prime; November 19, 2011, 03:53 AM.

Comment

• If Urban really is a Buckeye at heart, I don't see a chance he passes up the opportunity.

Comment

• SBB is a tool. Any rumors on staff are grossly premature. Though, I have heard Speilman a legitimate possibility.

I have *read* and I *think* this (UM3 and even the Fickell part) has been in the works for some time. Nothing is signed. It could, conceivably, fall apart. I would bet lots and lots on it not.

I also *think* KH would love to coach in Columbus some day, but not now. I also *think* he'd have a hard time meeting the demands of an assistant under UM3.

Comment

Working...
                                X