Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    It'll be interesting. I'll say this about 2011 -- he was right and truly F'd in the ass in a host of different ways. First, he was stuck with the staff that was there. The most important part of that equation is that there was no QB coach once Tressel left. Ostensibly it was Nic Sicilliano, but Stan White is as qualified to coach QBs as him. He was also stuck with Bollman. Second, he wasn't ready. He wasn't ready for a MAC job let alone an elite job. I will always love Coach Tressel, but I don't think he did a particularly good job of developing assistants save for Dantonio, but I think that's almost happenstance. He preferred guys he was comfortable with and continuity. I don't think he really challenged his staff.

5 years under UFM is a significant learning experience. UFM wants the best assistants he can get and will challenge them to be their best even that means being an asshole...99% of the time. He is ultra demanding in how the entire program is run. I think Fickell probably learned that the hard way, but I think he's got it now. My guess is he will still be himself which will include some Tressel, but he'll also take a lot of what UFM taught him.

And he'll get to pick his staff. He wants to run power spread stuff. Heh.

Cincinnati is exactly the type of school that can lead to bigger things as shown by the last 10-12 years. Those "almost P5" schools are a great springboard.

However, I'm not sure on Fickell. I think he'll be alright. But, unlike Herman, who I was dead certain about, I think he could also fail. I'd rate it 65/35 in his favor.

In any event, I wish him well, so long as his interests don't conflict with my interests.
    His two years as DC were rather shaky. Fickell, by-and-large, has only succeeded as a position coach. That makes him Brady Hoke minus about fifteen years and a couple of chins.

Comment

• Yeah, it's a hole in his resume. We'll see.

In recruiting news, Rivals updated its 2018 rankings and I think the 2018 class is more likely than not to top the 2017 class. Unless, say, Marvin Wilson and Darnay Holmes BOTH come aboard, but that is a remote possibility.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Ohio State confirms its 2017 season opener at Indiana will be played on Thursday night Aug.31. Game time and TV network to be set later.

Comment

• I gotta say, the thread on Darnay Holmes over at Mgo is seriously one of most delicious things I've ever read. Fantastic. Nobody does Notre Dame like Michigan.

Comment

I gotta say, the thread on Darnay Holmes over at Mgo is seriously one of most delicious things I've ever read. Fantastic. Nobody does Notre Dame like Michigan.
            Unless you are reading these mgoboard posts for the sheer entertainment value, pay no attention to them.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• OSU @ Indiana next year has been moved from Sat. 9/2 to Thursday August 31st...

Comment

• Cool. No reason to not have a few decent games on Thursday nights in B1G play.

Comment

• (1) It sooooooo beats a Noon game on the BTN; (2) OSU plays OU the following week, so why not get a few extra days in to prepare for Baker Mayfield and Co.; and (3) turns Saturday into a carefree day for me.

God bless. Everything always works out for Ohio State!

Comment

• It really beats the hell out of a 3:30 game.

Comment

• I agree. Those are the worst.

Comment

• It's very hard dealing with the bitter disappointment of the Ultimate Week of HARBAUGH!!!! in the Year of HARBAUGH!!!!, but there is a ray of hope for those of us jive turkeys living in The Shadow.

Wiltfong on Darnay Holmes:

Guys in addition to my report from my Crystal Ball forecast, I'm doubling down.

Unless something changes he will land at OSU.

I talked to two great sources yesterday afternoon and I'm certain OSU leads.

Perhaps that could change before he decides but OSU leads right now.
                        This seems more and more legit. Unlike the nonsense coming out about DPJ being anything other than 100% to M. Fingers crossed. In our year of bitter disappointment, small victories matter a great deal.

Comment

• Meh, I was hoping to go to the Indiana game and now I'll pretty much have to take two days of PTO in order to do it vs. none before. Prefer to use PTO on a different road game like Rutgers or Nebraska.

Comment

• You really want to play on that kids field behind the end zone, don't you?

Comment

• Doesn't everyone

Comment

You really want to play on that kids field behind the end zone, don't you?
                                LOL do they really have that? This would've been my first time there

Comment

Working...
                                X