Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
    College hockey is laughable.
    Word. College hockey has become an awful, awful sport to watch. This is coming from somebody who was a die hard college hockey fan in the early to mid-90s, before it became soccer on ice. Take the two worst teams in the NHL before the lockout, watch them play a preseason game, and you have a typical college hockey game nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
      You wanna pick a fight for dumb discussion go ahead.
      Saying hockey is a tougher sport than basketball is not picking a fight. You shouldn't let it upset you.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• No, but whining about the popularity of college basketball is.

I'm always amused when hockey fans feel the need to attack basketball, as if the sport in general was the reason hockey has such a hard time getting a strong national following. In no other sport do fans see another sport as an enemy.

I could point out how cycling and rowing are more physically demanding than hockey, or how hitting a baseball requires more skill than controlling a hockey puck. But none of those things have anything in common with what sport deserves more media coverage.
        Last edited by Kstat; March 24, 2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
          Saying hockey is a tougher sport than basketball is not picking a fight. You shouldn't let it upset you.
          Not upset one bit. I know where hockey stands in the US and am perfectly fine with it. But for you to jump right into how much more skill and toughness it takes than basketball, without it having anything to do with anything, is pretty prickish. All good.

Comment

• An argument over personal preferences? Seems like a good thread for it.

Personally, I can watch and enjoy almost any sport. I love soccer now, though I've never played. I can actually watching any cycling race, mostly because I do it. Aussie Rules is a fantastic game. Once you figure out Gaelic football, it's great to watch. The stuff I don't much enjoy are Olympic sports and X-games nonsense. Of the major sports, hockey is very low on my list and baseball, a childhood favorite, has dropped.

1. CFB
            2. CBB
            3. NFL
            4. Soccer (EPL, UCL, Major National Competitions)
            5. Cycling/Triathlons (I know this is way out there)
            6. Baseball
            7. Aussie Rules (War Geelong!)
            8. Hockey (Let's Go Pens!)
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Comment

• I have watched several Aussie Rules Football games on ESPN and I enjoy it. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the scoring system, but I can understand why its so popular. Its like a combination of Soccer and Rugby on steroids. Amazing to me is how hard those guys hit each other, and they are wearing no equipment. Reminds me of when I was a kid playing with the guys in the neighborhood. We played full contact tackle football, and rarely got hurt.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I got to go to an Aussie rules game in Brisbane once. I highly recommend it.

Comment

• If I ever make it to Austrailia, I'll definitely take a game in based on your recommendation, Hanni ... :-)

Comment

• 1. CFB
                      2. NHL
                      3. Alpine skiing
                      4. Biathalon
                      5. Aussie rules football
                      6. Rugby
                      -
                      -
                      -
                      97. Compound fractures
                      98. Root canals
                      99. Soccer
                      100. Basketball
                      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• 1. University of Nebraska sports
                        4... CF
                        5... CBasketball
                        6... NFL
                        7... MLB
                        8... CBaseball
                        9... NHL
                        10.. everything else
                        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I'm still a bit fuzzy on the scoring system
                          That's the easiest part of the game to figure out. 6 points for a goal (b/t middle two posts) and 1 point for a behind (b/t either of the outside "slots"). TDs and Extra Points. 7.7 = 7 goals/7behinds=49 ... 7.7.49

I'm still not sure how often they have to "dribble" when running. Seems arbitrary to me.

Hack:

That's fantastic.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• CFB - any time!
                            CBB - only when UM is playing well, or B10 teams at tournament time
                            Golf - esp. majors (and not women)
                            Tennis - esp. majors (and not women)
                            Pro FB - playoffs or if Lions are competitive..
                            Track, when world class athletes are competing
                            Pro BB, playoffs only
                            Pro hockey - only if Redwings are in the playoffs (and I used to love hockey and
                            played a lot as a kid)

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              I'm still not sure how often they have to "dribble" when running. Seems arbitrary to me.

A player running with the ball must bounce it at least once every 15 meters.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• My rankings fwiw ..

1. College football, my Wolverines, of course.. duh ..
                                2. HS Football
                                5. NFL - Patriots my favorite, although I also like the 49ers because of Harbaugh
                                6. MLB - Tigers, of course
                                7. College basketball - would rank higher if not for horrible officiating
                                75. WWE
                                98. Competitive Root Canals
                                99. Soccer
                                100. NBA

Comment

Working...
                                X