Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incidentally, Buchahan's list of OSU losses is pretty horribly off. The 1980 Rose Bowl and 1935 Notre Dame game are way too low. The 1973 Rose Bowl is way too high. And where the F is the 1976 Rose Bowl? That's top 10. Also, the loss to Wisconsin in 2010 should be on the list.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• ...... I agree. Cut and paste. nFw and Purdue losses come to mind as well.

BTW, I am enjoying - scratch that ,cringing - at your trip down memory lane.

Just keep in mind, there is no shortage of embarrassing material for you boys.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; July 16, 2013, 07:47 AM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaaOWpV6Cn8&feature=player_detailpage#t=0s "]Terrelle Pryor: The Tattoo - YouTube[/ame]
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Just keep in mind, there is no shortage of embarrassing material for you boys
          No doubt. Of course, in terms of actual losses, eh. Most of OSU's truly painful losses were a long time ago. Interviews with players and such, well, yeah whatever. I could post a long line of funny M stuff, too, but I'm sticking with 1 Gallant Defeat per day, mostly from this century (though, tomorrow we pay homage to the Father of Gallant Defeat at M, none other than Coach Bo).

Comment

• ::::::::grabs popcorn:::::::
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• My personal top 10 -- games I watched. The first 6 truly sucked. The 1993 loss to M would be #11 and the loss to LSU would be #12. The latter only makes it b/c it was a lost national title opportunity. I expected OSU to lose that game and they did.

1. 1998 Michigan State (crushing)
              2. 2007 Florida (almost as crushing....for most, this is #1 and for good reason, but I had more invested as a fan in 1998 -- and that's saying something b/c I had a ton invested in 2006, including a trip to Austin and to Glendale)
              3. 1996 Michigan (the first half was so frustrating -- 3 red zone FGs)
              4. 1980 USC (the first OSU game I remember watching...another national title gone)
              5. 1995 Michigan
              6. 2005 Texas (one dropped TD pass; one missed FG -- OSU let UT off the hook -- only time The Vince didn't score at least 40 all year...Heacock's boys held them to 16 until the go-ahead TD with 2 minutes left...bah)
              7. 1986 Michigan
              8. 2008 Penn State (only time PSU has won in Columbus as part of B10 -- TP fumble on QB sneak foiled ultimate Tresselball 6-3 win).
              9. 2004 Northwestern (any loss to NW is unacceptable)
              10. 1982 Wisconsin (only b/c it was the first OSU game I ever went to; cold rain all day; Badgers scored on first possession and held on for 6-0 win -- amazing I ever watched football again).

Comment

• There wasn't much as stake because the season was already shot, and it wasn't a very good team to begin with, but the 2004 Iowa game still haunts me to this day. I'm pretty sure it's the worst I have ever seen us look. The last hurrah for Justin Zwick's hopes of ever being a D-1 quarterback.

The 2001 UCLA game was close, but that had the excuse of being Tressel's first year, right after 9/11, low expectations, etc.

Comment

• 2012-13 non-conf hoops schedule was released two weeks ago...never posted. A bit underwhelming this year...hurt by drawing Maryland in the ACC Challenge, who's basically a conf member. ACC honks will treat that as a B1G loss either way.

Morgan State
                  Ohio U
                  @ Marquette
                  American
                  Wyoming
                  North Florida
                  Maryland
                  Central Connecticut
                  Bryant
                  North Dakota St
                  Delaware
                  Notre Dame @ MSG
                  LA-Monroe

Comment

• No preseason tourneys? Actually, now that I think about it, you guys never seem to play in those, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      No doubt. Of course, in terms of actual losses, eh. Most of OSU's truly painful losses were a long time ago. Interviews with players and such, well, yeah whatever. I could post a long line of funny M stuff, too, but I'm sticking with 1 Gallant Defeat per day, mostly from this century (though, tomorrow we pay homage to the Father of Gallant Defeat at M, none other than Coach Bo).
                      Fair ..... you will, when a reasonable approach is made by a M fan, carry on a completely reasonable discussion about football.

I'm dismayed that there are those here who don't see that.

It still comes back to my Alexander Hamilton Analogy regarding pistol duels.

Quit aiming for the forehead. Your a good shot. Let the ball whistle by the opponents ear.

Do you do criminal prosecution/defense? I sense you could could use this advice in the court room if you do (see Treyvon Martin Trial).
                      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; July 16, 2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                        No preseason tourneys? Actually, now that I think about it, you guys never seem to play in those, no?
                        We just did last year. One of the lesser ones I think. We beat Washington in the final. But no, you're right, maybe every 3 or 4 years we play in one?

Comment

• Do you do criminal prosecution/defense? I sense you could could use this advice in the court room if you do (see Treyvon Martin Trial).

?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Buchanan:

The post that kicked off the deleting/editing thing two times ago was calling a post, not a poster, a post -- moronic. If that's aiming for the head, meh.

And most of my responses to "OSU is Hitler" stuff is to post my standard list of OSU records and such and, of course, too mock Gallant Defeat.

Eh, whatever. Color me entirely disinteresting in the bi-monthly menstruating by some on this forum.

Comment

• Today's Gallant Defeat goes back to Coach Bo who is, arguably, the father of the Lost Cause at M. There is little doubt that Coach Bo turned around the program after a disastrous decade long stretch which saw M stumble and bumble. However, there is also no doubt that Coach Bo never even played for a national title, let alone won one (he was unfortunate not to play for a national title in 1971, though, of course, he lost the Rose Bowl anyway as was his routine). Early on, it was OSU that foiled M, most notably from 1972-75. Later his better teams were foiled by B10 middlings - Purdue and Minnesota famously twice.

However, Coach Bo's teams always played the right way, always were on the up and up, always tried their damndest to win a rigged system. The heroic and noble efforts of those men in the face of manifest unfairness has inspired M fans for decades and does so to this day. Perhaps no M player better embodies Gallant Defeat than the legendary Mike Lantry. His bravery, stiff upper lip and quiet dignity after bitter losses to Ohio State are spoken with only in tones of hushed reverance in AA. #36 on his jersey; #1 in our hearts. And so I bring you the Gallant Defeat of the Day -- 1974 Ohio State:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSv322Ww_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSv322Ww_0[/ame]
                              Last edited by iam416; July 17, 2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• With Pittman booted (perhaps floating facedown in the Olentangy by now) that leaves at least 2 of Urbie's finest under suspicion of rape. Any chance UM will find the strength of character to sit them against OOC opponent "mighty" Buffalo?

Has Aaron Hernandez supplanted Tim Tebow as symbol of Urban Meyer's Gators?

Mike Bianchi

SPORTS COMMENTARY

6:15 PM EDT, July 2, 2013

Coach Urban Meyer was asked by a reporter the other day about former University of Florida player Aaron Hernandez being arrested and charged with murder.

Meyer, the coach at Ohio State, offered a six-word response:

"I'm not gonna talk about that."

Of course he's not.

Funny, how you can't get Meyer to shut up about coaching Tim Tebow at UF, but now he won't say a word about his experience coaching Hernandez at UF. Meyer commented the other day about Tebow perhaps playing tight end for the Patriots, but he won't comment on Hernandez being accused of murder while playing tight end for the Patriots.

Maybe it's because Hernandez -- just as much as Tebow -- is becoming the handcuffed, perp-walking symbol of what UF football represented during the Meyer era. Tebow and Hernandez both helped Meyer's Gators win national championships, but they have gone on to become divergently emblematic of his program.

Tebow was the wholesome choirboy; Hernandez the thuggish tough guy. Tebow is recognized as one of the sports world's greatest role models and ambassadors; Hernandez is now an accused murderer and the national poster boy for the NFL's dark, discreditable criminal underside.

Here's all you need to know: According to a Gainesville police report acquired by the Orlando Sentinel on Tuesday, when Hernandez first signed with UF as a 17-year-old freshman, he got into a bar fight and sucker punched the bouncer so hard that it busted the poor guy's ear drum. Guess who was at the bar/restaurant trying to break up the fight? That's right, none other than Tebow himself.

The police report did not specify whether Tebow laid hands on the bouncer's damaged ear to restore his hearing.

The point is this: Tebow was the great deodorizer for a Meyer program that often reeked from the stench of players running afoul of the law. If I've written it once, I've written it a million times: Whenever one of Urban's outlaws would get arrested for running up charges on a dead woman's credit card; or would steal a $1,500 laptop computer and then throw it out the window when police arrived; or would get shot with a Taser while trying to elude the cops; or would open up the trunk of his car and pull out an AK-47 and begin firing it into the air, the Gators could always point to Tebow bringing a smile to a dying kid's face at a cancer ward; or preaching to inmates at the local prison; or providing food and medical supplies to orphan children in the Philippines.

Make no mistake about it, Timmy Terrific wasn't just a magical quarterback who could pull out miraculous victories; he was the magic eraser who could miraculously make felonious stains disappear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Meyer for Hernandez being arrested for murder. That would be as asinine as blaming John McKay and Southern Cal for O.J. Simpson's ride in the back of the white Bronco. Hernandez is a grown man and responsible for his own actions.

But there is also an old saying: "If you sleep with dogs, eventually you're gonna get fleas." And, by the time Meyer left UF, his program was like a fleabag motel, infected from the shady characters he recruited and the discipline he failed to instill. The fact is, Meyer gave his players so much rope that you just knew they would eventually construct a noose and choke the life out of what he built at UF.

I got a first-hand look at Meyer's discipline the year Will Muschamp succeeded him at UF and kicked star cornerback Janoris Jenkins off the team after two marijuana arrests in a matter of weeks. Jenkins transferred to Division II North Alabama, where I went up and interviewed him a few months later.

"No doubt, if Coach Meyer were still coaching, I'd still be playing for the Gators," Jenkins said. "Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win."

Without question.

At Florida, Meyer was the best in the business at winning.

At all costs.

Sadly, though, Aaron Hernandez now stands alongside Tim Tebow as a symbol of his UF program.

At Florida, Tebow was not only a great Gator.

He was Urban Meyer's greatest fumi-Gator.

mbianchi@tribune.com. Follow him on Twitter @BianchiWrites. Listen to his radio show every weekday from 6 to 9 a.m. on 740 AM.
                                Last edited by Optimus Prime; July 17, 2013, 08:13 AM.
                                ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

Working...
                                X