Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• This probably only interests me, but Hyde and Milller didn't play together until the Wisconsin game. In that game you could see Hyde wasn't quite ready to go the full four quarters, but still had a nice game. If Hyde and Miller had played all season theirs stats would be something like:

Miller: 2400 passing; 1000 rushing; 35 total TDs
      Hyde: 1800 rushing; 18 TDs

As a team, OSU ran for 3855 yards and 40 TDs with a whopping 7.0 ypc. Passing-wise, OSU was at 66.7% with a 35/5 TD/INT ratio.

Michigan State has a 3.1 ypc on defense (or something insanely low like that). Plus, MSU has the corners to try to lock OSU WRs down 1v1 and commit an extra guy to stop the run. Really interesting matchup.

Comment

• Initial OSU/MSU thoughts.

The matchup everyone is talking about: OSU Offense-MSU Defense. The spread isn't a magic elixir that is unstoppable. Stopping the spread is about winning 1v1s. Ohio State kicked the shit out Oregon's OL in the Rose Bowl in 2010. The following season, Fairley and Auburn's felons did the same. It all starts with the offensive line.

With that in mind, the key for OSU is being able to run their staple A-gap and OT plays against MSU's base defense. If OSU can't do this, they'll lose. IMO, I think OSU will have success running the ball. It won't be 400 yards worth of success, but they will be able to do it. MSU hasn't played any good offenses, IMO. I think the closest thing to OSU they've seen is UNL. UNL had decent running success with a non-factor QB. IMO, OSU will be able to run Hyde and Miller against a straight MSU defense.

The question, then, is the adjustment. OSU cracked M with Hyde, but M couldn't make any real adjustment to deal with that issue without being exposed elsewhere (deep balls, QB draws, etc). The natural adjustment is to press-man and bring a safety up to the box. M couldn't do this; MSU can. This leaves MSU vulnerable to getting beat by the WRs; especially vulnerable to TE seem routes and, if they don't spy Miller, really in trouble if he scrambles. Alternatively, they can sit their CBs back and bring a safety up and concede the short passing game.

It's a tough conundrum. Personally, I'd make Miller beat you with his arm. If MSU can slow down the running game and force Miller to complete deeper throws, they'll be in good shape.

On the other side of the ball, I would typically love this matchup for OSU's defense. I like OSU as a run-stopping team. However, if Curtis Grant continues to be hurt and Cam Williams continues to play, I don't like this so much. I really like MSU's ability to get their TEs open off play action. I think those plays will gash OSU several times. I'm not sure MSU's WRs can beat OSU's top two CBs, but I'm sure they won't have to as OSU will play soft and concede short balls.

I need to think on this some more, so no prediction. I do feel better about this game than I do about the M game. I woke up Saturday morning just knowing that Gardner was going to be a nightmare. That's the thing about MSU, IMO, is that they are what they are -- the variables aren't really there. I think OSU is just better, so I think they should win.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Initial OSU/MSU thoughts.......The question, then, is the adjustment. OSU cracked M with Hyde, but M couldn't make any real adjustment to deal with that issue without being exposed elsewhere (deep balls, QB draws, etc). The natural adjustment is to press-man and bring a safety up to the box. M couldn't do this; MSU can. This leaves MSU vulnerable to getting beat by the WRs; especially vulnerable to TE seem routes and, if they don't spy Miller, really in trouble if he scrambles. Alternatively, they can sit their CBs back and bring a safety up and concede the short passing game.

It's a tough conundrum. Personally, I'd make Miller beat you with his arm. If MSU can slow down the running game and force Miller to complete deeper throws, they'll be in good shape.
          I think MSU's corners, playing press-man, are completely up to the task. You can bet Narduzzi is going to play this option in the conundrum the ufm spread presents opponents.

The best way to stop Hyde is to stop him before he breaks into the second level. That task, if accomplished by MSU, will win the game. If MSU can do this, it hurts the PA option for urban. If they can't, well ......

I think this game is going to be a battle. Neutral field probably helps Sparty. osu has not faced a defense like this and will have the biggest mental burden (undefeated, MNC game at stake).

I'm looking for the upset and damn, I'm just beside myself that M and Gardner couldn't deliver it first. So close.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah, there's no doubt they'll leave their corners on an island.

Comment

• Breakdown of OSU's performance against M by 11W: http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/12/30070/ohio-state-football-film-breakdown-michigan-game#comment-669164

Comment

• Long, miserable drive back from Indy. Disappointed in WRs inability to catch balls. Massively frustrated with Herman/Meyer play-calling. Can't fathom why Hyde only had 18 carries. They could have run him up MSU's ass all day. Really can't understand why he didn't get the ball on any number of key short yardage situations, including the last. They had them by the balls after a horrible start and let them back in the game. Massively disappointing. Bah.

Comment

• Originally posted by iamnotevenclose View Post

OSU is a mortal fucking lock if either FSU or Alabama lose. Mortal. Fucking. Lock.

Unfortunately, The Nick won't shit the bed this regular season.

Heh.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Visiting bucknuts, Bleacher Report, etc, I see that the buckeye nation is absolutely going ballistic. Screaming for Fickle's head on a pike, and whispering about Urban Demi-God's choice of 4th quarter play calling. Geez can't you guys just admit you got beat by a better team and move on?
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Hell no! they are fans of Oshitu!

Comment

• oh Talent my boy You have it backwards! you took it up the ass!

Comment

• His new profile tagline should be: Mortal. Fucking. Lock.

Comment

• Nice. You know exactly the context. I said it so many times I didn't say "if OSU goes undefeated" in that one -- like I did dozens of time.

And they were. Whodean was wrong. I was right. Unfortunately, they shit the bed.

Enjoy your shitstain program.
                            Last edited by iam416; December 8, 2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Sean and are reveling in your pain, talent.

I have to admit, it makes me sick that I actually feel good on a Sunday like after a big M win.

For anyone celebrating this railing of osu by MSU, and that is what it was except for the 3rd quarter, you should recognize what this is and means for M football.

Unless things turnaround fast ..... Like M going 8-0 in conference and going to the Championship game, the program is on the cusp of being completely irrelevant for a good while. I still think the pieces might be there (irrational hope against all hope, maybe). If they aren't we'll know for sure by October 2014.

From there, we'll either calmly be seated and watch a run of great M Football or we'll gnash our teeth over another hiring process that is almost certainly gong to be a fucking mess. Hate to say this but we all better hope Brandon is right.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Oh my poor baby! Oshitu lost ONCE AGAIN to a Michigan team! Talent what does your wife say about that? Let me guess! Go sleep on the couch AND PULL YOUR OWN PUD you sorry sack of shit!!!!! hahahahahahaha! (Oh and by the way. want a good laugh? Go to the Columbus Dispatch home page and read the articles about the game. According to those sorry sacks of shit you'd think OSU won!

Comment

Working...
                                X